Smith Fined $12,000 for F Bomb

flgreen

NY Jets QB Geno Smith fined $12,000 for F-bomb directed at fan 

Smith was caught by a television camera yelling 'f--- you' at a fan after the fan antagonized the struggling quarterback, who added to his alarming turnover rate in the game by throwing an interception and losing a fumble, giving him seven turnovers for the season.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, October 3, 2014, 4:16 PM

genoweb4s-web.jpgRON ANTONELLI/GETTY IMAGES

Geno Smith is paying the price for his foul mouth.

The NFL fined the Jets' second-year quarterback $12,000 Friday for unsportsmanlike conduct, a fine anticipated after Smith cursed at a fan while walking off the field following a home loss to Detroit on Sunday, which gave the 1-3 Jets their third loss in a row. It's the same amount Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel was fined during the preseason for flipping the bird at the Washington bench.

Smith was caught by a television camera yelling 'f--- you' at a fan after the fan antagonized the struggling quarterback, who added to his alarming turnover rate in the game by throwing an interception and losing a fumble, giving him seven turnovers for the season.

"That's unacceptable," Jets owner Woody Johnson said Thursday of Smith's behavior. "Absolutely unacceptable."

Many fans in attendance for Sunday's defeat at MetLife Stadium were all over Smith for his poor performance, chanting veteran backup Michael Vick's name and calling for him to replace Smith, who let his emotions get the best of him. He began his postgame press conference that day with an apology.

"No matter what happened I've got to not feed into it," Smith said. "It's a part of the job. I understand the fans want to come out and see victories. And at times they get heated and we do too as players."

On Wednesday, Smith said he learned to be above the situation. "Never let people get to you," he said. "Never let anyone's words affect you in that manner. So I've just learned, and it's something I've already known, but (I've) just got to handle those situations better."

Before the fine was announced Friday, Rex Ryan was asked if the Jets would leave the discipline solely in the league's hands or if the team would take additional action, but he said nothing was finalized following discussions on potential punishment.

"We'll handle it the way we see appropriate," the head coach said. "And again, when we're ready to let you know what our decision is, we'll let you know."

Smith went 17-for-33 with 209 yards, a touchdown and the pair of turnovers in Sunday's loss. That followed a rough performance from the previous Monday at home against Chicago, during which he tossed two interceptions, the first of which was on his first pass attempt of the game and was returned for a touchdown.

The 23-year-old has shown signs of growing pains, leaving many to wonder why the Jets haven't turned to Vick, who played in Mornhinweg's offense in Philadelphia from 2009-2012. With the call's for his job and the team off to a bad start, Smith was vulnerable and got caught lashing out at an angry fan.

Johnson was clearly displeased with Smith, whom the owner called one of the team's leaders. But he expects better from the quarterback in the future.

"I guarantee, I don't guarantee, but I would be surprised if he ever did something like this again."

Archived