The Infuriating Self-Entitlement of the New York Sports Media

Seth

The Infuriating Self-Entitlement of the New York Sports Media

By Seth.P

jets-br9idge-card-2-400x320.0.jpg 

I was not planning on writing another article until the conclusion of the Jets press conference tomorrow, but I recently viewed something earlier that simply made me furious. Beneath this paragraph you will find two tweets posted several hours ago, by Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post. I have no personal issue regarding this writer, and I am not enraged at him specifically, but rather these comments display a critical issue with the New York sports media.

@MarkCannizzaro Can't help but think #Jets making new GM and HC avail to own website 1 day b4 their "intro" presser represents a giants FU to news media

@MarkCannizzaro #Jets wonder why they get treated like 2nd class citizens to NYG. As evidenced by latest maneuver it's obvious they'll never figure it out

The New York Jets do not work, or owe anything of significance to reporters. It is a welcomed, and appreciated courtesy to go the "extra mile" for them, but by no means required. The sole group of people the Jets are responsible to answer to are the fans. As a fan-base, we have heard virtually nothing from the two newest, and most important members of our beloved organization, since they were officially hired a week ago. Consequently, perhaps the Jets felt inclined to allow those who support the club, some minor insight into these two men’s philosophies, prior the scheduled press conference tomorrow. These interviews were approximately each four minutes long, yet this writer is inclined to proclaim blasphemy on the organization.

Once again, there is no personal vendetta regarding Cannizzaro, but it’s this self-sense of entitlement from the media that infuriates me as a fan. Granted, the Jets have not always handled situation with the proper protocol (the delayed post-season press conference in 2013 rings a bell), but is it truly fair to criticize, and then mock a franchise wishing to grant insight to their fans? I would argue not, and personally find it shameful the Jets are ridiculed for the most miniscule of things. I commend the Jets for operating as a franchise that sincerely cares for their fans, and attempting to excite us even further for tomorrow.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled evening activity.

Oh, and I DO have a vendetta against Cannizzaro and any other media knee-bender that thinks it's their job to take the shine off the franchise. Beat writers aren't supposed to be "known". It is thankless work, getting to write about something you supposedly love. These **** sticks all thinks it's about building their personal brands. **** them.

Oh, and I DO have a vendetta against Cannizzaro and any other media knee-bender that thinks it's their job to take the shine off the franchise. Beat writers aren't supposed to be "known". It is thankless work, getting to write about something you supposedly love. These **** sticks all thinks it's about building their personal brands. **** them.

It would be nice to have his position though. :P

The irony is these guys than think they have the moral authority to call out players like Santonio Holmes.

Not a Holmes fan. Just baffled by the hypocrisy.

To be fair, he did quit on the Jets during the last game of the season in 2012.

That's what annoys the sh*t out of me. I'm a newspaper reporter. Always dreamed of doing what they do, but could not find an opening covering sports. So I toil away each day for low pay covering cops and courts, hoping for a break.

These guys don't realize how good they have it and that's what pisses me off about all of these reporters. They're mostly all the same.

The Jets seem to be warming up to the blogs. The Jets have put a lot of work into their own site and social media arm. Both of these, no doubt, piss off many media members.

The world has changed though. When beat reporters used to cover the team, they had exclusives and we waited until the next day to read about them. It is an instant world now, so I don't see any harm in the Jets putting up their own interviews.  Everyone in creation is going to know that there are only softball questions on the Jets official site. 

So there is still a place for reporters. It would help if many of them actually started reporting though.

The Jets are treated like 2nd class citizens to the Giants because the Giants have won two Super Bowls in the past 7 yrs.  If/when the Jets start winning Superbowls, it will be the opposite. This BS from Cannizzaro overplays the media's importance in determining what drives the news and the mood of the fans. You see it now with the Mets. They are garbage compared to the Yankees in the media. Five World Series in the Jeter years + Bernie Madoff will do that. Anyone remember how the Yankees were treated by the media in the late 60's/early 70's when the Mets were good?  They were the garbage... 

Archived