Another year, another Competition Tilted in Geno Smith's Favor

flgreen

I think the difference is that Rex is a moron who needed to be kept far away from personnel matters, who promised a sh*t player like Coples he'd be taken if and when he fell down the boards because he was sh*t.

I don't necessarily disagree, but two reports out of Jets camp following the firing was that Rex wasn't vocal at all in the draft room.  Very little input and thought he could win with anyone.  Woody said the "not enough talent" argument couldn't be used by Rex because he should have spoken up but didn't.

As far as whether or not Coples is sh*t, I think he's a very talented player who will play well at LB but if he fails, could catch on elsewhere and flourish as a D-lineman.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't necessarily disagree, but two reports out of Jets camp following the firing was that Rex wasn't vocal at all in the draft room.  Very little input and thought he could win with anyone.  Woody said the "not enough talent" argument couldn't be used by Rex because he should have spoken up but didn't.

As far as whether or not Coples is sh*t, I think he's a very talented player who will play well at LB but if he fails, could catch on elsewhere and flourish as a D-lineman.

Actually I think Coples  has been a good player.  Not a star, but a good player.  He's done everything they have asked him to do.    This year he has a chance to take another step up.

Actually I think Coples  has been a good player.  Not a star, but a good player.  He's done everything they have asked him to do.    This year he has a chance to take another step up.

I agree...he's been solid, but he should be much better.  Not because of where he was drafted, but his measureables are off the charts.  May be the most physically talented person on the roster but it hasn't translated as you'd expect.

I agree...he's been solid, but he should be much better.  Not because of where he was drafted, but his measureables are off the charts.  May be the most physically talented person on the roster but it hasn't translated as you'd expect.

Hate to make excuses for any player, but Coples has a few.  The position change.  The fact that his main value is as a 6'5" 280 pound pass rusher.  He was being dropped into coverage 50% of the time.   He was very close to the lead in the league in QB hits and hurries, with the worst secondary in the league.  Balls were out in 2 seconds.

I know you are not really beating him up, but some posters are.  Hopefully this year he will be allowed to do what he was drafted to do.   Rush the passer, and seal the edge.   Then we will see what kind of player he is

You guys honestly think he was dropping into coverage 50% of the time? 

Certainly didn't personally count them myself, but several articles quoting PFF and other stats crazy sites say he did.

I have noticed him often chasing behind TE's and thinking what the hell's that about 

Certainly didn't personally count them myself, but several articles quoting PFF and other stats crazy sites say he did.

I have noticed him often chasing behind TE's and thinking what the hell's that about 

Pretty sure that is false.  The only thing I saw said this:

Coples has played 38 coverage snaps already this season against just 26 in all of last year.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/11/18/7244527/quinton-coples-whats-missing

That article was from during the bye week, after 10 weeks of football.  I'm not sure what they consider a "coverage snap" but that is less than 4 per week. In 2013 it was less than 2 per game. 

Pretty sure that is false.  The only thing I saw said this:

That article was from during the bye week, after 10 weeks of football.  I'm not sure what they consider a "coverage snap" but that is less than 4 per week. In 2013 it was less than 2 per game. 

PFF says Coples had 60 coverage snaps in 2015 out of 708 total snaps.

PFF says Coples had 60 coverage snaps in 2015 out of 708 total snaps.

Certainly not 50%.  I would guess that is probably 15-20%.  Have to figure that close to half of the plays are runs, so that gets you down to the 350 range.  Teams attempted 538 passes on the Jets.  I wonder what percentage Coples was on the field for.  Does not help his stud pass rusher credentials if they were pulling him for Babin on obvious passing downs.  Funny thing is that I'm sure the extra coverage came from playing more zone.  People crucify Rex for blindly playing bump and run with sh*t corners AND for dropping his LBs into coverage.  Pick one.   

Certainly not 50%.  I would guess that is probably 15-20%.  Have to figure that close to half of the plays are runs, so that gets you down to the 350 range.  Teams attempted 538 passes on the Jets.  I wonder what percentage Coples was on the field for.  Does not help his stud pass rusher credentials if they were pulling him for Babin on obvious passing downs.  Funny thing is that I'm sure the extra coverage came from playing more zone.  People crucify Rex for blindly playing bump and run with sh*t corners AND for dropping his LBs into coverage.  Pick one.   

Actually a 50/50 split between playing the run and rushing on pass plays.

Coples was on the field for 708 plays...324 against the run, 324 rushing the passer, dropped in to coverage 60 times....again, per PFF

Actually a 50/50 split between playing the run and rushing on pass plays.

Coples was on the field for 708 plays...324 against the run, 324 rushing the passer, dropped in to coverage 60 times....again, per PFF

Okay.  That doesn't mean much for our prior point (18.5%) but it does say they took him off the field on passing downs.  Teams threw against the Jets 538 times and ran the ball 393 times.  Coples was on the field for 82% of the runs and 60% of the passes.  Coples is a dominant pass rusher, so I guess this proves that Rex is a big dumb stupid head.

Okay.  That doesn't mean much for our prior point (18.5%) but it does say they took him off the field on passing downs.  Teams threw against the Jets 538 times and ran the ball 393 times.  Coples was on the field for 82% of the runs and 60% of the passes.  Coples is a dominant pass rusher, so I guess this proves that Rex is a big dumb stupid head.

This is why I'm hoping he's on the line in nickel/dime packages...gotta' keep him on the field getting after the QB IMO.  If the Jets don't, somebody else will.

Archived