OL dept. : ..time for a " wrecking ball " ? ? ?

kelly

Honestly, and I've been thinking this for about 4 years now, the Jets offense will not be very good because the OL is so bad. Bell will not be as effective when he doesn't have blocking in front of him. Sam will not be as effective a QB if his time in the pocket is consistently cut short. He probably won't have enough time to allow for plays to develop. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

New Jets guard Kelechi Osemele will be playing with a little extra motivation in 2019.

The Jets acquired Osemele and a sixth-round pick from the Raiders in exchange for a fifth-round pick. While Osemele is 29-years-old and has been in the league for seven seasons, being traded has placed a chip on his shoulder.“I’m a chip on the shoulder type of guy, so obviously that’s motivation,” Osemele said. “I’m a professional and I’ve been in this business for a while, so I understand it from that point. But I like to take things like that and use it as motivation because it’s fuel. Why wouldn’t you? Obviously, I’m motivated by that.”

Oakland and New York will play each other in Week 12 this upcoming season. Obviously, Osemele and the Jets have the first 11 games to worry about before they can even think about the Raiders, but Osemele knows that game has extra meaning to it.“I’m looking forward to it just as I’m looking forward to any game on the schedule,” he said. “One game at a time. I’m not looking past anybody, but yeah, it’s motivation playing against the old guys and in front of the coaches again. It’s always going to get you going.”

It’s important to have veterans who have a chip on their shoulder at this point in their career. Osemele has accomplished a lot in his NFL career, but he clearly wants to return to his Pro Bowl form and make the Raiders eat crow for trading him.

In the NFL, change is perpetual. It can be unsettling but sometimes necessary, and Jets left tackle Kelvin Beachum believes the latter regarding the team’s offensive line.

The Jets swore in a new staff in January that includes Frank Pollack, the team’s third OL coach in as many years.“I think how you handle change is important,” Beachum told reporters during voluntary minicamp. “For us, right now, being able to handle change, the transition, the understanding how Coach Gase and Coach Pollack want things done and actually doing it that way.”One player who's grown accustomed to change is right guard Brian Winters, the longest tenured player on the Green & White. Since being drafted in 2013, Winters has played under all three position coaches and hopes Pollack will be his last.

“He’s good. He’s very fundamental,” Winters said. “It’s very go-go-go which I like and I think it’s a good change for us as a unit.”

Outside of adjusting to expectations and personalities of new coaches, the entire group has to tackle the new vernacular.“The calls stay the same, but everything has a different term and that’s a big adjustment,” Winters said. “Going from this system, the terms and terminology are totally different. That’s something you have to adjust and do your studying on. It’s all fairly similar.”Despite all the changes that come with a coaching change, chemistry shouldn’t be an issue for the group as four-fifths of starting O-line returns for 2019. Kelechi Osemele moves in at left guard for James Carpenter, who departed for the Falcons in free agency after four seasons with the Jets. Osemele was acquired from the Raiders via trade in March and Beachum is excited to work with his new neighbor.

“It’s going to be fun,” he said. “It’s just great to have him here, great to play with somebody that plays that violently. I’m just excited to get to work with him.”While a cohesiveness is already established up front, the group will adjust to a unique rushing style in running back Le’Veon Bell, who’s famous for his patience. Beachum has a taste of Bell’s approach as the two former Steelers were teammates in Pittsburgh from 2013-15 and expects the line to make the dynamic back look good and vice versa.“I think he causes a ton of matchup problems, honestly,” Beachum said. “At the end of the day, you can put him in the backfield and he has to be accounted for. You can split him out, he has to be accounted for. So, I think overall, he’s somebody that can cause matchup problems across the board.”

The Jets avoided signing a free agent center and didn’t take one in the draft, due in part to Sam Darnold.

Going into the offseason, center was one of the main positions of need for the Jets. They decided against adding big free agents or prospects, though, instead re-signing Jonotthan Harrison, the backup at the position for the last two years. Now, it looks as if he will start — largely due to his comfort with Darnold.“I think Jonotthan has done a great job, I feel like he really does a good job of leading that group,” Adam Gase said at the Jets’ rookie orientation. “I think Sam feels very comfortable with him and I think that group is coming together well, just watching them work day in and day out, it’s very encouraging.”

The Jets have an obligation to keep Darnold comfortable under center.  Last season, Spencer Long was incapable of snapping the football cleanly to Darnold and it caused a ton of issues. While Harrison is not a household name, he’s worked with Darnold before and the chemistry that they have will be essential once the season begins.

“When you have a center who can kind of lead the charge and do a lot of the things that they need to do and if he can take over, a quarterback can kind of put his mind other places some times,” Gase said. “Or he can get the receivers lined up and make sure the backs and tight ends and his communication with those guys is crystal clear and Jonotthan handles all of the rest of the stuff – Mike points, runs, making sure he gives (Sam) a heads up that it’s a different type of front and we have to make an adjustment.”

Harrison started eight games at center last season when Long was hurt. He was a decent blocker and most importantly, he efficiently snapped the football to Darnold.The Jets could still potentially sign another center just to add some depth, but the expectation now is that Harrison will be the opening day starter.

>   https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/12/adam-gase-sam-darnold-comfortable-with-jonotthan-harrison-center-jets/

When the Jets drafted West Virginia’s Trevon Wesco with the 121st pick, many saw him simply as a powerful blocking tight end. He only caught 28 passes in his three collegiate seasons but was considered to be the best blocking tight end in the draft.

Wesco’s heard all the analyses on his ability and role with the Jets, and he’s fine with it.

“I mean, everybody’s got their own opinion on how I play the game or whatever,” he said, according to Dennis Wazak Jr. of the Associated Press. “I just go with the flow and play how I play.”Wesco was known predominately for his blocking at West Virginia, and his ability to play all along the line make him incredibly versatile for Adam Gase’s offense. At 6-foot-4, 274 pounds, Wesco is a huge body who can muscle defenders at will. At the very least, he’ll most likely replace Eric Tomlinson in the near future.

Though his pass-catching productivity didn’t come close to some of the other tight ends drafted higher, his 14.1 yards per reception on only 26 catches last season is quite impressive. With his massive frame, Wesco can shake off linebackers and safeties with ease when he’s given the ball in space.On tape, Wesco doesn’t look like he’ll be a major contributor for the Jets. But he knows his abilities, and he’ll use the overwhelming idea that he’s only on the team to block for Sam Darnold and Le’Veon Bell as motivation to be more. With Chris Herndon entrenched as the started but likely facing a suspension, Wesco could find himself a big part in the Jets offense in 2019.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/12/jets-trevon-wesco-blocking-tight-end/

Adam Gase might not be too happy with Le’Veon Bell and his $52.5 million contract, but one of his offensive linemen does not share the same sentiment.

Kelechi Osemele was among one of the many acquisitions the Jets made this offseason. New York’s newest starting guard is excited about the upgrades the Jets have made on offense this offseason — especially the addition of Bell.During his time with the Baltimore Ravens, Osemele got an up-close look at what Bell brings to the table. Now, Osemele’s job is to create holes for his formal division rival.“It’s dope that he’s on our side of the ball now,” Osemele said while appearing on Good Morning Football. “Playing him with the Ravens, he gave us some issues. It’s dope to be blocking for him. I’m really excited about it.”

Not only is Osemele looking forward to the prospects of blocking for Bell, but he is excited to see what he can accomplish once he advances to the second level as well. At 6-foot-1, 225 pounds, Bell is one of the bigger and more physical running backs in the league. As a result, he is not one to shy away from contact.“I think it’s going to be like having a lineman that’s getting to the second level too,” Osemele said. “I’m hitting the linebacker and he’s a big guy who can hit some guys too. He can break some tackles. I’m excited about that. He’s a physical player and he’s got crazy vision.”

Knowing Osemele from previous encounters, it’s safe to assume Bell is equally as excited to run behind Osemele as Osemele is to block for him. As a two-time pro bowler and All-Pro selection in 2016, Osemele has established himself as one of the better run blockers in the league when healthy.After New York’s offensive line struggled in 2018, it now has a proven producer in Osemele, who will hopefully help get the unit get back on track this upcoming season. If all goes well, Bell will be the one to reap the benefits of that.

> https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/20/new-york-jets-offensive-line-kelechi-osemele-adam-gase-leveon-bell/