Upshaw and the FA and Draft Strategy

varjet

The Jets had Courtney Upshaw in and he has now moved on to visit Atlanta without signing.  He is not a world beater, but he can play OLB respectably in the Jets' system.

At this point in time heading into the draft, where does the roster look incomplete?  Not necessarily weak, but just emply?  We would prefer to be able to draft BPA without worrying about filling holes.

From at least my perspective, the Jets are unstaffed at QB (now only 2, with 1 under contract in 2017) and OLB, with the lack of depth at OT basically allowing those players to hold the team hostage.   The underlying presumption is that to add a credible starter or depth at those positions, they would need to be picked in the first two rounds.  And that ignores the possibility that a WR, DL, or CB presents themselves at the BPA at 20.  

I am finding it hard to believe that the Jets are not going to take a QB in the first 2 or 3 rounds-quite possibly 1.  That is what you need to do when you don't have a QB.  But that means that that 1st round can't be used for an OT or OLB.

So signing an Upshaw could be a good move to fill a roster hole.  Fitz could also be signed as a 2 year gap fill, but maybe that is not deemed worth it.

Given the Jets' holes, is it worth having Wilkerson on the roster at $17mm?

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets had Courtney Upshaw in and he has now moved on to visit Atlanta without signing.  He is not a world beater, but he can play OLB respectably in the Jets' system.

At this point in time heading into the draft, where does the roster look incomplete?  Not necessarily weak, but just emply?  We would prefer to be able to draft BPA without worrying about filling holes.

From at least my perspective, the Jets are unstaffed at QB (now only 2, with 1 under contract in 2017) and OLB, with the lack of depth at OT basically allowing those players to hold the team hostage.   The underlying presumption is that to add a credible starter or depth at those positions, they would need to be picked in the first two rounds.  And that ignores the possibility that a WR, DL, or CB presents themselves at the BPA at 20.  

I am finding it hard to believe that the Jets are not going to take a QB in the first 2 or 3 rounds-quite possibly 1.  That is what you need to do when you don't have a QB.  But that means that that 1st round can't be used for an OT or OLB.

So signing an Upshaw could be a good move to fill a roster hole.  Fitz could also be signed as a 2 year gap fill, but maybe that is not deemed worth it.

Given the Jets' holes, is it worth having Wilkerson on the roster at $17mm?

For awhile I was of the opinion that we should move on from Mo to create the cap space we need. But that doesn't make any sense. He's one of our best players and we can easily afford Mo once we get beyond 2016. Moving forward I'd much rather let Sheldon walk and count on Mo/Williams.

As for 2016, D'Brick sticks out like a sore thumb. His worth is nowhere near his cap hit. But what to do? You don't want to restructure his deal and push money to 2017 with him. Would he accept a payout? If not he could be outright cut. I'd also look at Skrine, Marshall and Decker as restructure candidates. Like Carpenter, you can push a few million off of this year's cap hit and create enough space to bring in a QB, a LB, and our draft picks. 

I can easily see a DL of some sort or a WR being picked at 20, if not a QB.

MacC has his job cut out for him in evaluating Lynch.  He should pray he gets picked prior.  I think people have more patience taking 2nd and 3rd round flyers on a Cook or Hackenburg, or others.  

Archived