Hackenberg more ready than you think according to Chan Gailey

joewilly12

Jets coach Todd Bowles did not need a journalism degree to figure out what reporters were interested in Monday morning at the charity golf tournament hosted by linebacker David Harris.

As Bowles walked past a group of reporters interviewing Harris, he poked his head in and asked a question: “Excuse me, sir, tell us about your quarterback situation,” Bowles said with a big laugh.

Yep, the topic has not changed around the Jets in months. It is all about what is happening at quarterback. On Monday, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey spoke to reporters for the first time this offseason. He did not have much to say about the contract standoff between the team and free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick.

“I can’t worry about that stuff,” Gailey said before Harris’ golf tournament, which benefits the Give the Kids Hope Foundation. “I coach whoever walks in the door.”

While Gailey did not have much to say about Fitzpatrick, he heaped some praise on Christian Hackenberg, the newest quarterback on the Jets. Gailey said Hackenberg, the team’s second-round pick, will benefit from playing his freshman season at Penn State under Bill O’Brien, now the head coach of the Texans.

“He retained a great deal from the pro style of offense that Bill had,” Gailey said. “He’s ahead in that respect, but he’s behind in seeing what’s going to happen to him defensively in the NFL.”

Gailey was a big part of the Jets’ pre-draft evaluation of Hackenberg, and he said the quarterback has the smarts to play the position.

“I think his intelligence, his decision-making,” Gailey said about what stood out about Hackenberg. “When he played in a pro-style offense as a freshman, he handled that extremely well. There were a lot of positives.”

Hackenberg arrived to the Jets with a lot of skeptics. Gailey is trying to block out all the noise and just evaluate the player now.

“You try not to predispose a guy to a certain … put him in a box, so to speak,” he said. “You try to make sure you keep an open mind and give him an opportunity to show what he can do. Every quarterback has their ups and downs. He’s not by himself in that respect. So, you’re looking at the potential. Mike [Maccagnan] and Todd thought that the potential was there. I think he’s got a great deal of potential.”

So when can Hackenberg be ready to play?

“If I had an answer to that, I’d be in high demand,” Gailey joked.

With Fitzpatrick still in limbo, Gailey is coaching Hackenberg, Geno Smith and Bryce Petty at the position. Petty, the team’s fourth-round pick in 2015, was diplomatic in his answers about the drafting of Hackenberg, though it does not bode well for what the team thinks of him.

“It doesn’t affect me in the locker room as a teammate,” Petty said. “It doesn’t affect my preparation in this spring. It doesn’t affect any of that. For me, I’ve got to go out and prove that they made the right choice the year before and then whatever happens, happens.”

Gailey said Petty has made great strides in the last year. He also praised Smith, who sits atop the depth chart right now. Smith refused to speak to reporters Monday other than those employed by the Jets.

“He’s learned so much in one year,” Gailey said of Smith. “The one game he played in last year, I thought he did very well. There’s always room for improvement, but I thought he did very well. I think he’s made giant steps, too. I think he’s right on track for where I’d like for him to be.”

I copied this from my phone. It was easy. This article says a whole lot without really saying anything. He says good things about everyone, big surprise.  

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

I copied this from my phone. It was easy. This article says a whole lot without really saying anything. He says good things about everyone, big surprise.  

Ive had sporadic issues with my Mac copying and pasting something with the system. 

Thanks for the copy and paste. 

On Fitzpatrick: “I can’t worry about that stuff"

On Hackenberg "I think he’s got a great deal of potential”

On Petty: "Petty has made great strides in the last year"

On Geno: “I think he’s right on track for where I’d like for him to be”

8 minutes ago, jetrider said:

On Fitzpatrick: “I can’t worry about that stuff"

On Hackenberg "I think he’s got a great deal of potential”

On Petty: "Petty has made great strides in the last year"

On Geno: “I think he’s right on track for where I’d like for him to be”

He was attending an event for the "Give the kids hope foundation". Nuff said.

Archived