Why you don't trade for a Starting QB

JoJoTownsell1

3 hours ago, JiF said:

The Jets traded for Favre too... ;-)

I was just being silly with you though.  You're 100% right.  You have to find your own Qb in this league.  Their is an article out there with some data to support it but you basically take a QB in the 1st round and hope you hit or you dont find a QB at all.  For a while, I want to say something close to 28 starters were 1st round picks.  Now that has changed quite a bit because of full time starters like Dak, Wilson, Cousins, Carr, Taylor, Kaep, Dalton, Osweiler and Brady . But outside of them and sh*tty teams like the Jets and the Browns - you have nothing but 1st rounders starting.

okay, i get it but i'm going to get back into this argument and say that the reason is because the current cba makes it very difficult to make trades of any kind let alone qbs.  i cited three examples spanning quite a few years but there are tons of trades of great qb's.  unitas? (yeah he was traded from baltimore to sandiego for that superstar marty domres) he was drafted by the giants and ended up in baltimore.  how about plunkett? stabler? hadl? craig morton? gannon? george blanda? billy kilmer

not disagreeing with getting a qb now but it wasn't always that way.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Compared to Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery, Jones, Tomlinson, Greene, Keller and the best Oline in football? 

Did I have the wrong year? What was our record in 2011? Maybe the Oline deteriorated badly first.

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

Did I have the wrong year? What was our record in 2011? Maybe the Oline deteriorated badly first.

8-8.  They were poised for the playoffs and dropped the last 3.  The debacle in Philly, the Giants game where they folded up after the Cruz 99 yarder and then the Holmes/Hunter brawl in the huddle in Miami.   Sanchez literally folded up in those games.  He threw 7 picks and lost 2 fumbles in 3 games with the playoffs on the line.  They didn't break 20 and only got the 19 against Philly because they were down a ton thanks to things like Santonio Holmes lateralling the ball to Juqua Parker.  The offensive line was the same as ever, except for Hunter.  I admit it wasn't actually the best line in football, but the same lineup had beaten the AFC champion Steelers in Pittsburgh and the Patriots in the "Can't wait!" divisional round game the year before.  The offense was fine.  The weapnz were fine.  The only problems were the QB and the lack of leadership.  I suggest those problems were one and the same.

Archived