Draft History

TuscanyTile2

This is informal info (in other words, not definitely accurate) but I'm fairly sure it's correct:

In the 1950's the NFL draft was 30 rounds.  

In 1960 it dropped to 20 rounds.  

In 1967 (I think that was the first Superbowl season) it dropped to 17 rounds

In 1977 it dropped to 12 rounds

In 1993, it dropped to 8 rounds

In 1994, it dropped to 7 rounds

Wonder if there is a way to evaluate the number of 1st round bust players to the cap and non cap eras. Just my opinion but money has played a big part in this. Not just what rookies are paid but where those players fall into team needs along with their money.

10 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Wonder if there is a way to evaluate the number of 1st round bust players to the cap and non cap eras. Just my opinion but money has played a big part in this. Not just what rookies are paid but where those players fall into team needs along with their money.

there is probably no doubt teams keep first rounders on the team longer than they used to simply because of the rookie pay scale. teams have no choice because the contracts are 4 years plus an option year.  look at a guy like gholston. no doubt he should've been launched after year one.

22 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is informal info (in other words, not definitely accurate) but I'm fairly sure it's correct:

In the 1950's the NFL draft was 30 rounds.  

In 1960 it dropped to 20 rounds.  

In 1967 (I think that was the first Superbowl season) it dropped to 17 rounds

In 1977 it dropped to 12 rounds

In 1993, it dropped to 8 rounds

In 1994, it dropped to 7 rounds

In 1965 in our 1st 7 picks the 1st 2nd 4th and 7th were all QB's.. Good thing the 1st rd pick worked out..:)

Archived