JetNation Camp Notes 8/8

JetNation

After a day indoors out of the elements, the weather at Florham Park eased up significantly and Gang Green headed outdoors once again.  It was an ugly day for quarterback Christian Hackenberg who appears to have regressed after an encouraging start just over a week ago.  A few notes and obserations.

• Hackenberg was unofficially 4-12 during team periods and as is usually the case, when he’s good he can “wow” you, but when he’s bad, it’s hard to watch.  Several passes hit the dirt, he threw is first two interceptions in team periods and perhaps his worst throw of the day came in 7-on-7’s when he threw a pick to Julian Stanford who standing right in front of the quarterback who hit Stanford right in the gut.

• New old linebacker Demario Davis is laying some big hits out there and still has the same fire he had in his first stint with the Jets, only he may be better this time around.  No longer being asked to play the weak side, Davis is spending a lot more time at or around the line of scrimmage and appears to look comfortable in doing so.
  • While all of the attention is on Hackenberg and Josh McCown, Bryce Petty quietly outplayed both quarterbacks yesterday.  During 7-on-7’s he looked better than the two front-runners but received just one rep during 11-on-11’s, completing a pass to rookie receiver Chad Hansen.  When the team kicked off their 2-minute offense, Petty was up first and was a perfect 5-5 on a variety of routes all over the field before hitting on a deep touchdown pass down the left sideline to end his drive.
  • Elijah McGuire had a pair of drops, a rare sight for the rookie, but he still showed more good than bad, pulling down and errant screen pass at one point that forced him to contort his body for what was no gain, but the catch showed great athleticism and hands.
IMG_5026-300x194.jpg

Rookie running back Elijah McGuire is seeing plenty of reps with Matt Forte and Bilal Powell on the shelf.

• Juston Burris was the corner who was beaten badly by Robby Anderson on his 70-yard TD pass but that’s going to happen sometimes when a guy who runs in the 4.3’s matches up on a corner who runs in the 4.5’s and he slips past him.  For the most part, Burris has had a stellar camp.
  • For all the talk about Brandon Shell having a great opportunity to win the starting RT job this season, Todd Bowles sure seems set in giving Brent Qvale every chance to start as he seems to be out-repping Shell by a wide margin.
  • Second round rookie Marcus Maye was flying all over the place again.  He’s always around the ball and had an interception of Hackenberg and another near-diving interception earlier in practice.  He hasn’t been asked so show much in terms of playing the deep ball, but when the play is in front of him, he won’t be far behind, be it to make a play on the ball or a big hit on the ball carrier.  Dare I say, a quality second round draft pick?  Time will tell.

We’ll be at Florham Park again today so be sure to follow us on twitter for live updates.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
AX1bXFHwiyQ

Click here to read the full story...

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Firgotvti mention Mauldin sat out again which isn't gonna help him win his job back.

If Mauldin crashes I think that would officially make Macc's first draft a flop.  

He does not get credit for Leo, as it was a no brainer pick and he still gave Mo all that money after picking Leo.  

Petty is getting a raw deal. McClown should never have been signed, or if signed, as a junior coach, and Petty and Hack should be splitting first team reps. I think at this point you have to go with Hack but I saw some goods things from Petty last year.

"Bryce Petty quietly outplayed both quarterbacks yesterday.  During 7-on-7’s he looked better than the two front-runners but received just one rep during 11-on-11’s, completing a pass to rookie receiver Chad Hansen.  When the team kicked off their 2-minute offense, Petty was up first and was a perfect 5-5 on a variety of routes all over the field before hitting on a deep touchdown pass down the left sideline to end his drive."

This is why the Jets are still a silly franchise at times!!

1 hour ago, varjet said:

If Mauldin crashes I think that would officially make Macc's first draft a flop.  

He does not get credit for Leo, as it was a no brainer pick and he still gave Mo all that money after picking Leo.  

I disagree, but to each his own.

I recall there being TONS of criticism of Mac when he took Leo for obvious reasons.  The Jets needed offense and Kevin White and Todd Gurley were sitting there. It was the one position that didn't need to be addressed and Mac ignored the outside BS and took the best player on the board.  There were plenty of "SOJ" folks, complaining that it was another D-lineman.  Now a lot of those same people, (not saying you're one of them) is saying it was "an obvious pick" so he gets no credit.

I'll admit that I wasn't thrilled with the pick because I thought a big play WR like White was a bigger need.

Almost every top five or top ten pick looks "obvious" at the time, but those guys flame out too.

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I recall there being TONS of criticism of Mac when he took Leo for obvious reasons.  The Jets needed offense and Kevin White and Todd Gurley were sitting there. It was the one position that didn't need to be addressed and Mac ignored the outside BS and took the best player on the board.  There were plenty of "SOJ" folks, complaining that it was another D-lineman.  Now a lot of those same people, (not saying you're one of them) is saying it was "an obvious pick" so he gets no credit.

I'll admit that I wasn't thrilled with the pick because I thought a big play WR like White was a bigger need.

Almost every top five or top ten pick looks "obvious" at the time, but those guys flame out too.

Leo, like Adams this year, was considered the best player in that draft.  He was projected to go top 3.

But yes, I agree, picking Leo and not others does warrant credit for Macc.  My point was that that positive credit was offset by poor roster management afterwards.  Macc is supposed to be building a team.  If he gets the chance to pick Leo the BPA and likely future best player on the team, he can't be paying $25mm more to 2 other players who play the same position for which there are 2 spots.

25 minutes ago, AFJF said:

REALLY wanted White that draft. Figured he'd be Marshall's heir apparent by this point. Maybe he would have with us, but he's not doing to well with Chicago after getting injured.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

If it was a no brainer why didn't Wash, Jax or Oak take him. 

19 hours ago, C Mart said:

If it was a no brainer why didn't Wash, Jax or Oak take him. 

Oakland I would excuse from this ... they picked a #1 WR for their young stud QB; while Leo may be the better player out of the two, I don't think the gap was enough to outweigh the positional dynamic there.

Why Washington went OL just before us I really never understood. Scherff has played well, don't get me wrong, but I still question the thought process. Sometimes I think it was done just to show how smart the GM was that he saw something other than the obvious pick.

Archived