Character Guys

David Harris

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, jgb said:

Great thing about a core of high character leaders is the team becomes self policing and then you can take a risk at absorbing some guys with checkered pasts 

Agreed.  Once the Mangini honor roll team captain group was firmly in place, the Jets took some risks on guys like Marcus Dixon (rape conviction lost him scholarship to Vanderbilt) and Abram Elam (sexual assault charge got him kicked out of Notre Dame).  Either these guys have to be vetted super carefully, or you need the team to self-police.  Dixon was wrongfully convicted and Elam seemed a good teammate, but some of these guys need extra motivation.

I hope it means they will more carefully vet guys with substance abuse problems. I am convinced that the bulk of the problems with some of these drafts related to substance abuse - at least Jalen Saunders,  Shaq Evans, Dylan Donahue, Sheldon, and Herndon.  The last two were good players, but those are guys we know for a fact had some issues.  I heard rumors of some others - like Jace Amaro.   Winslow Jr, ASJ, Erin Henderson all had serious issues.  Sometimes guys play hard/party hard (Michael Irvin, LT) but most of the times, those are not going to be the guys lighting it up in practice.

I think the big loser in the Gase power play is Gregg Williams.  Dude seems like a backstabbing carpet bagger that would probably be reporting to Maccagnan, if not Johnson directly.  I think that is why they let him railroad Joe Vitt on the staff to kind of give Gase a voice on the D.  Douglas is all Gase though, so I'd expect Williams to install some fire and brimstone and be either gone to better things or scapegoated out by the end of 2020 the latest. 

Archived