Character Guys

David Harris

I watched the center Harrison’s press conference the other day and it just struck me - I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many high character guys on the Jets. It’s one after the other of smart board room types who would pull over to help you with your flat and then do your taxes. I don’t know if this will help win a single game but the list of these guys on the starting roster is impressive:

Harrison

Osemele

Beachum

Shell

Quincy

Powell

——

Anderson

Mclendon!

Leo

Copeland

Mosley

Williamson

Jenkins

Adams 

Maye

——

I don’t know if their “dawgs” but this grouping makes for a good locker room or at least the best Boy Scouts or maybe an appropriation subcommittee or something.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I watched the center Harrison’s press conference the other day and it just struck me - I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many high character guys on the Jets. It’s one after the other of smart board room types who would pull over to help you with your flat and then do your taxes. I don’t know if this will help win a single game but the list of these guys on the starting roster is impressive:

Harrison

Osemele

Beachum

Shell

Quincy

Powell

——

Anderson

Mclendon!

Leo

Copeland

Mosley

Williamson

Jenkins

Adams 

Maye

——

I don’t know if their “dawgs” but this grouping makes for a good locker room or at least the best Boy Scouts or maybe an appropriation subcommittee or something.

This post makes me feel like I fell asleep during a movie. 

23 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Who gives a ****? They’re NFL players not guidance councilors. I want the team to actually win not just look good in controlled meetings. 

Interesting take.

I would like to subscribe to your podcast. 

9 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So does talent

But to discredit character in a locker room means that you have never been in a high level locker room before... Therefore you shouldn't have an opinion on character. 

13 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Who gives a ****? They’re NFL players not guidance councilors. I want the team to actually win not just look good in controlled meetings. 

Teams that have players who care about each other, care about the name on the helmet play better than teams made up of players who play for themselves. 

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’ll take a Ray Lewis or LT over a high character guy that’s not as good every time. 

Counter Argument:  I'd rather lose than have Mike "Dogkiller" Vick on my team.

Sometimes personal ethics/morals > Sports team fandom.

I would accept the same argument from anyone who objects to say, a wife-beating player.

It's important to keep sports in the appropriate place in ones life.  It doesn't, and shouldn't, come before deeply held beliefs.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Counter Argument:  I'd rather lose than have Mike "Dogkiller" Vick on my team.

Sometimes personal ethics/morals > Sports team fandom.

I would accept the same argument from anyone who objects to say, a wife-beating player.

It's important to keep sports in the appropriate place in ones life.  It doesn't, and shouldn't, come before deeply held beliefs.

Unfortunately sports and entertainment lost the appropriate place in society along time ago that’s why they make millions to almost billions to do something that’s not beneficial to society. 

Where the line is drawn is a personal view. Murder, rape, fighting, drug use, domestic violence, kneeling etc

15 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Let me guess you’re a professional athlete 

Was... semi-pro, and I was never saying character trumps talent... But having talent with a bad character leads to locker room troubles and ends up being toxic for a whole team... To discredit Character, like I said, shows that you have never understood or been in the dynamics of a team sport that isn't your rec league from home... 

Nobody here said or is saying that talent is a trait that isn't valuable or even more valuable then character... Think of it like a crazy/hot scale.... The hotter the woman is, the more crazy you are willing to tolerate but if the crazy goes above the curve it leads to getting stabbed with high heels wile you are sleeping.

24 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Unfortunately sports and entertainment lost the appropriate place in society along time ago that’s why they make millions to almost billions to do something that’s not beneficial to society. 

Where the line is drawn is a personal view. Murder, rape, fighting, drug use, domestic violence, kneeling etc

Yes.  Exactly.  

I cannot control what society will accept, I can only control what I will accept and actively root for (an important distinction, we're not just being tolerant, we're rooting on a guy who may have done X, Y or Z).

I'm generally quite libertarian, so I'm pretty tolerant/supportive of most legal things.  But even I have exceptions.

38 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’ll take a Ray Lewis or LT over a high character guy that’s not as good every time. 

And how slow does this need to read?  You can find good players who are high character.  The choices aren't usually a great HOF player, who's a POS and a JAG.

Andwhile we're at it, for all the talk about Ray Lewis, no one knows the story and until his case he never was close to being a character issue.  Even high character players can have a f'up. 

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Was... semi-pro, and I was never saying character trumps talent... But having talent with a bad character leads to locker room troubles and ends up being toxic for a whole team... To discredit Character, like I said, shows that you have never understood or been in the dynamics of a team sport that isn't your rec league from home... 

Nobody here said or is saying that talent is a trait that isn't valuable or even more valuable then character... Think of it like a crazy/hot scale.... The hotter the woman is, the more crazy you are willing to tolerate but if the crazy goes above the curve it leads to getting stabbed with high heels wile you are sleeping.

As I said in my response to Warfish. Who decides what’s considered character? I have more friends that stopped watching sports over kneeling then anything else. They overlooked child abuse, domestic violence, drug use, cheating, stealing or basically being a complete scumbag though. 

I’d rather have a guy that has elite talent and is a douche bag then a choirboy that is a jag. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I cannot control what society will accept, I can only control what I will accept and actively root for (an important distinction, we're not just being tolerant, we're rooting on a guy who may have done X, Y or Z). 

And it's amazing how our tolerances change in direct proportion to how good that player is.

We'll toss aside a backup LB in a nano second.  Then the same people will get totally pissed that Macc didn't run to sign K Hunt.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And how slow does this need to read?  You can find good players who are high character.  The choices aren't usually a great HOF player, who's a POS and a JAG.

Andwhile we're at it, for all the talk about Ray Lewis, no one knows the story and until his case he never was close to being a character issue.  Even high character players can have a f'up. 

Obviously you can find good high character players but it wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me. I’ve met a lot of NFL player and other professional athletes when they’re not in a controlled setting and most of them are complete assholes and thugs that have low character.  

As I said it’s the NFL not guidance counseling. These guys get paid to beat the hell out of each other and be violent. 

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Obviously you can find good high character players but it wouldn’t be a deciding factor for me. I’ve met a lot of NFL player and other professional athletes when they’re not in a controlled setting and most of them are complete assholes and thugs that have low character.  

As I said it’s the NFL not guidance counseling. These guys get paid to beat the hell out of each other and be violent. 

I've worked with athlete's and have to admit I don't agree with you.  Messier, Richter, Kovalev, Gary Carte, K Hernandez, R Cano, B Williams, Klecko, Strahan, B Harper, Simms, Boomer, I can keep going.  All really nice, polite guys.  Characterizing most as completed shlt is not true.  Most know the difference between hitting someone violently on the field it ice and in real life.  You can believe what you want but maybe should ask yourself why everyone else gets it and you're the only one thinking it's ok for a team to be made up of low lifes and not see how it effects a team.  Until we lose and a S Richardson complains about someone or B Marshall complains about players hearts.

Archived