With free agent additions to the front seven

AFJF

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We signed lawson we signed rankins who can rush the passer we drafted zuniga last year.  F that drafting an edge guy.

I am not even happy that we will probably HAVE to draft a CB at 23 or 34 because Douglas has done zero to shore up that spot.

We are getting a QB at #2, oline and oline or oline and weapon after that.

Not disagreeing with you but 3 of the 5 starters on OL are set. McGovern and Fant are starting this year and both are way better than they get credit for. 

The problem last year was we trotted out substandard guards at both positions and that affects adversely the play of everyone else. Becton sufffers because Lewis next to him was garbage, McGovern suffers because both Lewis and GVR either side of him are poor and Fant suffers because of Van Roten (who at least provides solid rotational depth).

The same guy we want drafting a ton of linemen used a 4th on Cameron Clark last year, he has to be pencilled in as at least a starter going into TC. We added a guy with 3 straight years starting at OG in Dan Feeney.....there are good options on the roster already.

We absolutely need at least 1 top OG or RT (who can start off inside with a view to replacing Fant eventually) and luckily this draft is loaded so we don’t need to panic and keep throwing darts wildly and hope. Slater or Vera-Tucker if they make it to 23 or Jenkins, Humphrey, Davis at 34 but beyond that the remaining picks through to Rd 4 or 5 need to be used to address the lack of talent elsewhere and we desperately need playmakers

The OL will be much better, it has to be and if Joe Douglas hasn’t improved it in his 3 years already then I’m not sure he’s the man to be in charge of anything.

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

Is it still vital for the Jets to take an edge rusher early on?

You've added Lawson and a supposedly healthy Rankins to Quinnen, JFM and Foley up front.  I'd pencil Quinnen in for at least 10 sacks and Rankins had 8.5 the last time he was healthy.

I'd forego edge at this point and address spots that are barren such as CB and RG with an eye on the future RT if you're going to move on from Fant after this season.

2- Wilson

23- CB

34- OG

JMO

What you stated is EXACTLY how I see it.  I have went through many mock simulated drafts, and each time, the CB position is strongest when the Jets pick at #23.  This is extremely important need, and I see the Jets getting a very good CB at #23.

Then, at #34, I think it is a no-brainer that we go with a offensive lineman, and I believe it will be a tackle, because I believe the best value will be at tackle at #34.  By taking a tackle, if he outplays Fant, then Fant is the backup.  If the tackle we take can excel at guard, then he would be switched to guard, with Fant playing the right tackle spot.   

Again, this is just what I am seeing going through about 30 3 round mock draft simulations.