Tennessee LB among Jets visitors

R44

Tennessee LB Brad Kassell -- Decent player. Started every game since early 2004.....Was in fairly high demand at one point and got a nice offer sheet from Detroit as a resctricted free agent in early 2005, but Tennessee matched it....Kind of scapegoated for Tennessee's problems, I think, because he was/is an easy target -- tackle numbers were down, he was undrafted and super not real fast.

It's weird the way things change. In 2005, at this time, Tennessee was cutting players to match the Lions offer sheet. Today, they simply let him leave....He's definitely a player worth looking at as a ILB in the 3-4 defense...

Somewhere along the line he got badly injured at a picnic or barbecue and thought he had career threatning injury -- No Herm Jokes :baby:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=43300

Other visitors:

Denver DT Monsanto Pope

Steelers TE Jerame Tuman

Chargers WR Antonio Chatman

The Jets are mulling their options on a number of players who have visited recently, including New England T Tom Ashworth, Tennessee LT Brad Hopkins, New England WR/returner Tim Dwight and S Tebucky Jones.

Tennessee LB Brad Kassell -- Decent player. Started every game since early 2004.....Was in fairly high demand at one point and got a nice offer sheet from Detroit as a resctricted free agent in early 2005, but Tennessee matched it....Kind of scapegoated for Tennessee's problems, I think, because he was/is an easy target -- tackle numbers were down, he was undrafted and super not real fast.

It's weird the way things change. In 2005, at this time, Tennessee was cutting players to match the Lions offer sheet. Today, they simply let him leave....He's definitely a player worth looking at as a ILB in the 3-4 defense...

Somewhere along the line he got badly injured at a picnic or barbecue and thought he had career threatning injury -- No Herm Jokes :baby:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=43300

Other visitors:

Denver DT Monsanto Pope

Steelers TE Jerame Tuman

Chargers WR Antonio Chatman

The Jets are mulling their options on a number of players who have visited recently, including New England T Tom Ashworth, Tennessee LT Brad Hopkins, New England WR/returner Tim Dwight and S Tebucky Jones.

Kassel is an interesting player. Another big LB. 250 plus who was coached by a former member of The Cleveland Mafia in Jason Schwartz.

Monsanto Pope played in The 3-4 at NT and DE in Virginia with Al Groh. Has played in The 4-3 in Denver. Another 3-4,4-3 compatible player. Relatively young. Depth guy.

The Jets are targeting alot of under the radar players. Tuman is a decent TE. Good blocker, decent hands. With practically no FB on the roster, I can see The Jets carrying 4 TE's next year. It's something that The Pats have done the last few years, playing multiple tight ends and utilizing all of them.

The Jets are looking at Chatman and Dwight to get an extra kick returner/punt returner. Justin Miller may play more defense this year.

It will be interesting to see if The Jets add a veteran OT as a stopgap for their future LT which could very well end up being D'Brickashaw Ferguson in round one. Ashworth and Hopkins can play either side.

If we add either Ashworth or Hopkins then you've gotta believe it's either Leinart or Cutler at 2 or 4.

Kassell would be an awesome addition to the team.

With all that being said I'd like to sign Chatman & Dwight (Dwight more of a purpose as a PR and a #5 WR), we need some WR's people. Tuman wouldn't be a bad signing either but I don't think he'd take the Jets offer because they probably figure Jolley to be the starter. Pope I don't know much about.

According to Rich C., Brad is coming to New York, likely....

I remember in 2005 Tennessee's staff was praising him up and down....

He came in the same time Rocky Calmus and Rocky Boiman came in -- the Rocky's were high picks. Brad was free agent signed, because he lied to scouts that he could long snap.

Brad did so well in 2004, Detroit offered him a nice offer sheet and Tenn not only matched, they traded Calmus to clear the way....

I think Brad was in a tough spot. Tenn had almost no DB talent and a shaky front line. When they struggled he was an easy target, because he was undrafted and his stats slipped a bit...

I think he'd be a good pickup in the 3-4....And if he doesn't work out, just replace him and move forward.

According to Rich C., Brad is coming to New York, likely....

I remember in 2005 Tennessee's staff was praising him up and down....

He came in the same time Rocky Calmus and Rocky Boiman came in -- the Rocky's were high picks. Brad was free agent signed, because he lied to scouts that he could long snap.

Brad did so well in 2004, Detroit offered him a nice offer sheet and Tenn not only matched, they traded Calmus to clear the way....

I think Brad was in a tough spot. Tenn had almost no DB talent and a shaky front line. When they struggled he was an easy target, because he was undrafted and his stats slipped a bit...

I think he'd be a good pickup in the 3-4....And if he doesn't work out, just replace him and move forward.

If signed, Kassell could start next to Vilma inside. Hard to say who is going to start at OLB. Chatham has a shot because I don't know if Hobson is going to stay where he is, He's going inside most likely. Barton and Chatham are the leading contenders for the outside spots at linebacker but nothing is set in stone. Every spot is up for grabs on The Jets. We could have 3 QB's fighting with each other for playing time. That's how much comp there will be and there will be a rotation of players at every position.

Archived