Antonio Johnson, Safety Texas A&M

Ron Rico

If the Jets need both CBs and safeties, there are many factors that could influence their choices, such as their current roster, as well as potential players that might be available at the time of selection. It can also be important what other teams might choose before the Jets, and what positions they might fill, which can affect the availability of players for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

We could upgrade starting Safety.  We absolutely are not denting our starting CB lineup.  So CB is off the board IMO.

As for Safeties, I have seen no list anywhere that listed Johnson above Brian Branch.  And if we do take a Safety, we want a cover guy, not a box guy.  Which is Johnson?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, derp said:

I think Johnson is more likely to be a target in the second round than in the first.

Agreed, he's usually being mocked in the late 2nd or early 3rd round and doesnt project to be a centerfield-type safety.

I really think we need to start preparing for a DT at 13.  I get the perceived need for an OT by the fan base, but im not sure if JD is gonna see it the same way.  Id love to trade back and take JMS and solidify center, but the Giants love him too so we cant safely move that far down if he is our guy.  If we dont do that, I could see someone like Breese being the pick - its a need and there is a precedent from seeing how SF and Phila took DL help year after year.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Agreed, he's usually being mocked in the late 2nd or early 3rd round and doesnt project to be a centerfield-type safety.

I really think we need to start preparing for a DT at 13.  I get the perceived need for an OT by the fan base, but im not sure if JD is gonna see it the same way.  Id love to trade back and take JMS and solidify center, but the Giants love him too so we cant safely move that far down if he is our guy.  If we dont do that, I could see someone like Breese being the pick - its a need and there is a precedent from seeing how SF and Phila took DL help year after year.

I think DT is firmly in play and DE is as well. If they bring in Rodgers this is a win now team. Tackles sometimes struggle early in their careers. If they’re confident that one of the tackles at 13 is better day one than Brown or Becton it’s fine, but I’m not so sure they will be. To me it’s a spot they’d ideally bring in a guy to develop and give time, and they’ve got the roster, but it’s not an immediate impact and I’m not sure this team with Rodgers is thinking as long term as we’re used to. Maybe they are, that wouldn’t be bad, but I’d be in favor of maximizing the small window they seem to be creating.

I like Kancey at DT as an immediate impact guy as a terror next to Q on third downs. Possibly in play if they trade down too. We also know that JFM can kick inside and be really disruptive there. A lot of the edges after Anderson in this class are big, long, strong guys, some of whom have played inside - easily could play that JFM role along with Clemons and allow JFM to be an interior disruptor. Thinking Wilson, Van Ness, and Murphy. Nolan Smith seems redundant with Huff but also if they wanted to put Smith and Huff on the edge on passing downs that’d be something, and a built in replacement for Huff if they don’t think he sticks. 

Receiver could make an impact too of course, trade down for a center as you mentioned. Maybe a safety who’s got more cover and ball skills. I guess maybe linebacker if they move down but I don’t love that. Most likely it’ll be on a line, though. Think we can likely cross off RB, TE, G, and CB.

• Upvote 1