Jim Harbaugh is going to the Chargers

15 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Either way he’s not coming to NY to work for the worst owner in sports

I think he and the Mike Vrabels, Pete Carroll's absolutely WOULD come here in a heartbeat. Is Woody a dunce? Of course but so are basically all of the other owners minus The Rooneys, Hunts, and Bisciotti. 

But there is one thing about Woody Johnson that most of the fan base overlooks when it comes to the argument that a high profile won't ever come here. Woody Johnson gets starstruck more than any other owner in probably sports. He has handed over the keys to the team Aaron Rodgers. He would do the same for one of those coaches and they would in turn have power and control like few coaches in the league do.

I also think that if we are looking at Vrabel/Carroll next year and Rodgers is staying on for another year that it would not be a deterrent as those coaches could win quickly with Rodgers and also know that he's on his way out and the team will be fully in their hands.

I think whenever we hire another head coach it will be a bigger name and Woody will be completely smitten and listen to everything that coach has to say, including who the GM will be + what the reporting structure will look like (Spoiler Alert: that coach will have final say over everything).

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think he and the Mike Vrabels, Pete Carroll's absolutely WOULD come here in a heartbeat. Is Woody a dunce? Of course but so are basically all of the other owners minus The Rooneys, Hunts, and Bisciotti. 

But there is one thing about Woody Johnson that most of the fan base overlooks when it comes to the argument that a high profile won't ever come here. Woody Johnson gets starstruck more than any other owner in probably sports. He has handed over the keys to the team Aaron Rodgers. He would do the same for one of those coaches and they would in turn have power and control like few coaches in the league do.

I also think that if we are looking at Vrabel/Carroll next year and Rodgers is staying on for another year that it would not be a deterrent as those coaches could win quickly with Rodgers and also know that he's on his way out and the team will be fully in their hands.

I think whenever we hire another head coach it will be a bigger name and Woody will be completely smitten and listen to everything that coach has to say, including who the GM will be + what the reporting structure will look like (Spoiler Alert: that coach will have final say over everything).

I doubt Vrabel comes here he has better options.  Carroll because of his age and the ridiculous age-ism going on and the fact that he once worked here might but Woody would never hire an established coach who could challenge his authority 

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I doubt Vrabel comes here he has better options.  Carroll because of his age and the ridiculous age-ism going on and the fact that he once worked here might but Woody would never hire an established coach who could challenge his authority 

I don't think that his hires were due to him not wanting his authority challenged. He just went with the trends of the time. Retread head coaches were looked down a lot more years ago than they are now. Everyone was looking for the new up and coming coordinator turned head coach.

This whole notion that Woody won't hire a respected coach because he doesn't want his authority challenged doesn't make any sense because Woody Johnson is the owner. He can fire said coach if he feels he is being disrespected in a moment's notice. You don't even need true cause the NFL to fire a coach.

Woody Johnson just tries to keep up with the trends and usually 5-10 years behind the curve and is a horrible decision maker with absolutely no domain knowledge in what he's doing. But this guy would gargle and swallow anything a respected coach shoots into his mouth given the opportunity.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't think that his hires were due to him not wanting his authority challenged. He just went with the trends of the time. Retread head coaches were looked down a lot more years ago than they are now. Everyone was looking for the new up and coming coordinator turned head coach.

This whole notion that Woody won't hire a respected coach because he doesn't want his authority challenged doesn't make any sense because Woody Johnson is the owner. He can fire said coach if he feels he is being disrespected in a moment's notice. You don't even need true cause the NFL to fire a coach.

Woody Johnson just tries to keep up with the trends and usually 5-10 years behind the curve and is a horrible decision maker with absolutely no domain knowledge in what he's doing. But this guy would gargle and swallow anything a respected coach shoots into his mouth given the opportunity.

Woody has done nothing but hire assistant coaches to be HC.  He has never hired a big name established guy for a reason

And the only guy he hired coming off a head coaching job was Gase and that was because of his even more stupid brother 

On 1/25/2024 at 1:12 PM, kmnj said:

the jets have one of the worst gms in the league and won of the worst head coaches in the league

It's taken a while, but I think most people are finally on board with this assessment.

A good GM could have rebuilt a team twice over with the amount of time Douglas has been given.

Saleh is an empty suit.

6 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Woody has done nothing but hire assistant coaches to be HC.  He has never hired a big name established guy for a reason

And the only guy he hired coming off a head coaching job was Gase and that was because of his even more stupid brother 

Gase clearly was a god awful hire. But he was someone who literally got fired from Miami for challenging the owner, not his win/loss record. I just don’t think Woody is concerned about that and would fire accordingly if necessary. 
He will be starstruck with a “name” coach I think next time and will let that person run the whole operation.