Jets vs Vikings Travel Thread

This is NOT a game day thread. This is a thread for the people that are traveling to the game. It should be used to share information, like where they are staying, places they plan to eat, sights they plan to see, travel arrangements to and from the game, any meet ups they'd like to plan, etc.

One thing I'd like to share is that the dollar to British pound rate is pretty awful these days. It's currently $1.34 to £1. There is usually a fee involved and I ended up with a $1.40 to £1 conversation, which is brutal. Be aware of this and I think  it's best is to convert before you go. It's worse over there.

I got a room is the Park Plaza Westminster. If anyone else is staying there and want to have a drink at there bar, PM me.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

One thing I'd like to share is that the dollar to British pound rate is pretty awful these days. It's currently $1.34 to £1. There is usually a fee involved and I ended up with a $1.40 to £1 conversation, which is brutal. Be aware of this and I think  it's best is to convert before you go. It's worse over there.

I got a room is the Park Plaza Westminster. If anyone else is staying there and want to have a drink at there bar, PM me.

You get the best rate in ATMs, just always remember to decline their conversion. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

That seems bad but it hardly makes me blink anymore.  When I first got to the UK it was 1.80 to the dollar and I saw it go as high as 2.14 to the dollar.  That was backbreaking.  Couldn't grab dinner and a couple of beers in London for less than $100.

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

This is NOT a game day thread. This is a thread for the people that are traveling to the game. It should be used to share information, like where they are staying, places they plan to eat, sights they plan to see, travel arrangements to and from the game, any meet ups they'd like to plan, etc.

I've been living in England for over ten years now after getting stationed here twice with the AF.  Have pretty solid knowledge of London after spending a ton of time down there.

If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

You get the best rate in ATMs, just always remember to decline their conversion

I would like to add that the best rates are at Bank ATM's, and not independent ATM's that are out there in order to take advantage of people.  I came back from Greece and Italy recently, and this is what I learned.

I would assume it's the same in the UK

34 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I've been living in England for over ten years now after getting stationed here twice with the AF.  Have pretty solid knowledge of London after spending a ton of time down there.

That's awesome 👍 Very helpful for the fans that have never been there 😁 

36 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Thank you for offering to help.  I will be traveling to London next year in April, staying there for 3 nights.  My hotel is by Big Ben.  Any good restaurants to refer me to?  I want to see the sights.  What do you recommend?

And thank you for your service!!!

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

On the flip side, we should have a thread for the non-Americans coming to see a Jets game in NJ. They need to see where Jimmy Hoffa is buried, lol. 

Great Iberian food in Newark, NJ.  1. Spanish Tavern  2. Fornos of Spain  3. Casa Vasca  4. Don Pepe

Any one of these 4 restaurants are winners!!

11 minutes ago, Alka said:

Thank you for offering to help.  I will be traveling to London next year in April, staying there for 3 nights.  My hotel is by Big Ben.  Any good restaurants to refer me to?  I want to see the sights.  What do you recommend?

And thank you for your service!!!

Any particular type of cuisine you enjoy?

History buff? Pop culture/movie geek? 

Beer or wine?