Jets interested in another Aussie?

The Fat Man

Source: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19222815-23211,00.html?from=public_rss

Aker puts Jets on hold

By Andrew Hamilton

May 23, 2006

NEW York Jets has studied tapes of Jason Akermanis and want the Lions star to attend a July training camp.

But Akermanis, who burst back into form against Port Adelaide on Sunday, said he would wait until the AFL season was over before heading to the US in October.

The American football franchise was interested in looking at Akermanis at a month-long camp in July, but the reigning Lions club champion's contractual commitments and strict National Football League anti-poaching laws make a mid-season decision by either party improbable.

Akermanis said he remained interested in exploring his options in the NFL after a chat with Jets punter and former Geelong star Ben Graham, but he was focused on the Lions.

Akermanis shone in defence in the Lions' 69-point victory over Port Adelaide, earning rare praise from coach Leigh Matthews, who said he had created the role to help him regain his spark without constant harassment from a tagger.

"He played well," Matthews said.

"He's been tagged into misery. A lot of good players get tagged so often there's someone on their tail all the time. It's hard to enjoy their footy, so you try to do something to help them.

"But you've got to help yourself and he did that by playing very well."

Akermanis crossed the Jets' radar when coach Eric Mangini asked Graham to draw another Australian sportsman to the NFL club.

"He wants me to find someone that can help our team," Graham told a Melbourne radio station.

"I'm only really a conduit between getting the word around so that people who are serious about coming over might seriously have a look at it."

Graham confirmed he had spoken to Akermanis on behalf of the Jets.

"Jason wants a feel for what's happening over here," he said.

"My basic advice to him was, 'Look, you've got an AFL career going here. Just shut up, put your head down, work hard till the end of the season and then work things out'."

Graham said the Jets had studied tapes of Akermanis, and his pace and skill were attractive to the club.

Akermanis is not the only Australian generating interest among the Jets' ranks.

Graham confirmed the club was also interested in other sportsmen including a Commonwealth Games track and field star.

"I don't want to talk about it too much but there are definitely players in the AFL and in rugby," he said.

"The latest one is on the athletics scene. Someone who has pure speed might make an impact over here."

Mangini, who spent time studying in Melbourne, has long been an admirer of Australian sporting talent and Graham said he was still dabbling with the prospect of unearthing another NFL player from Down Under.

"I think what Eric Mangini likes in the Australian talent is that there's work ethic, there's the grounding in the AFL or in the sport," he said.

Graham has signed a six-year deal with the Jets worth $7 million.

Archived