(8/2) Hutchinson: Camp Notes

Sperm Edwards

Jets: Day in Camp

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

FB STACY TUTT

For three seasons at the University of Richmond, rookie free-agent fullback Stacy Tutt was 'da man.' He was the starting quarterback for the Spiders, leading them to a 9-4 record last season, a share of the Atlantic 10 championship and a Division 1-AA playoff victory.

Blocking was the furthest thing from his mind.

These days, however, blocking is the primary thing on his mind as he tries to make the Jets' roster as a fullback. He has gone from the protected to the protector.

"It's a lot different," said Tutt, a 6-2, 230-pounder. "Last year, I was just sitting back watching people block. Now, I have to go in there and do it. It's a different hat to wear but I have to do what I have to do and I'm willing to do whatever I can to help the team out."

Tutt has already caught the eye of coach Eric Mangini.

"I've been impressed," Mangini said. "He's done a lot of positive things. He consistently makes tackles in the tackling drill, will pretty much do anything he can do to be successful. He's a smart guy. I like the way he has shown up each day."

At Richmond, Tutt threw for 2,219 yards and 16 touchdowns and ran for 828 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior in the West Coast offense.

But he went undrafted and signed with the Jets. Currently, he's running second team behind starter B.J. Askew.

"If coach puts me in a position to make a play, I just want to make the best of it," Tutt said.

Who's Hot

CB Justin Miller had an interception in the afternoon. ... P Ben Graham has been sensational. ... Free-agent WR Reggie Newhouse continues to impress. ... Veteran WR Tim Dwight is catching everything.

Who's Not

QB Kellen Clemens, working with the first team, threw two interceptions in team drills and is clearly not ready to start. ... QB-turned-WR Brad Smith dropped balls on consecutive plays.

Drills of the Day

Rookie LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson dominated a pass-blocking drill in the morning session. He had his number called four times in a five-play span and pancaked his man three times, diving him into the ground.

Before the draft, there were whispers that Ferguson, who has a degree in religious studies from Virginia, was a bit too nice to play in the NFL.

"You saw that anger, that fire, that competitiveness," Mangini said. "That was good to see."

The morning session ended with a spirited goal-line drill that included trash-talking and big hits. The offense and defense tied.

Practice, practice, practice

On Saturday, the Jets will hold a 2 p.m. practice at Giants Stadium that is open to the public. Admission and parking are free and there will be an interactive Jets theme park, live music and giveaways.

The Jets will also hold a closed practice on Sunday at Giants Stadium.

Comings and goings

The Jets signed rookie free-agent CB Jovon Johnson and waived rookie free-agent LB Will Thompson.

Injury report

NT Sione Pouha (knee), S Erik Coleman (illness), TE Jason Pociask (shoulder) and CB David Barrett (leg) didn't practice.

Pouha, who injured his right knee in a pileup on Sunday, is expected to be out roughly a week. Coleman could be back any day.

Today's Buzz

There was a hip-hop flavor to the afternoon practice as Mangini allowed a DJ to play before practice, during stretching and during a two-minute drill at the end of practice. The likes of Sean Paul, Chamillionaire, Nelly and Chris Brown blared and CB Justin Miller and DE Bryan Thomas displayed some of their best nightclub moves during breaks in the action. Barry Manilow need not apply.

The afternoon practice, the Jets' first without pads, was a break from a morning session in which temperatures peaked at 95 degrees with a 104 heat index. More heat is on the way.

Archived