(8/3) Berger: Heat shield for Martin

Sperm Edwards

Heat shield for Martin

BY KEN BERGER

Newsday Staff Writer

August 3, 2006

Through six days and nine practices, Curtis Martin is still not practicing. On most days, he's nowhere near the field, hidden instead in the forbidden zones of the training complex, presumably preparing for his 12th NFL season.

"His status really is unchanged," coach Eric Mangini said yesterday when asked when the NFL's No. 4 career rusher will be removed from the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. "The timetable is as soon as he's physically able to, we'll get him out there."

Martin's unusual absence has fueled speculation about his future. But a person familiar with the team's thinking said yesterday it appears that Mangini is simply trying to spare Martin, coming off December knee surgery, the punishment of his grueling camp.

"He is beating the hell out of his players," said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "Curtis is an elder statesman. He's leaving him out of it."

Mangini appears to be cut from the Bill Belichick cloth in many ways, including his belief that players should practice only if they're physically able to practice fully. In New England, safety Rodney Harrison is coming off knee surgery and also is on the PUP list.

Mawae fires back

It didn't take Kevin Mawae long to take a shot at his former team. "This is the best thing that could have happened to me at this point of my career," he told SI.com at Titans camp. "It's so great here. There's a great team feeling. The Jets did me a huge favor by cutting me."

Jet streams

The evening practice today at 5:30 is closed to the public ... CB Derrick Strait has caught Mangini's eye ... LG Pete Kendall missed practice last night for undisclosed reasons.

I really liked Mawae while he was here. He was a huge force on the team, could pick up from center and block for Martin like very few centers, but man-o-man, why can't he just move on with his life.

Maybe Sperm and Mawae can have a big pitty party and bash Herm for a few more years.

BZ

Archived