(8/3) Rock/Berger: Chad has edge

Sperm Edwards

Chad has edge

Mangini won't say who'll be No. 1 QB but Pennington's favored

BY TOM ROCK

STAFF WRITER; Ken Berger contributed to this report.

August 3, 2006

The largest trickle of news at an otherwise watertight Jets training camp came yesterday, and it was this: Nothing has changed. The QB status is status quo.

Coach Eric Mangini, along with quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Patrick Ramsey, denied that a decision has been made regarding the starting quarterback this season. A report published yesterday quoted a source saying Pennington would be The Man.

Two people with knowledge of the inner workings of the team confirmed yesterday that Mangini has yet to make a decision on the starting quarterback. One of the people, speaking on condition of anonymity, called the report "erroneous."

Mangini, using his standard line to describe the timetable, said the four-way rotation of signal-callers that also includes Brooks Bollinger and rookie Kellen Clemens would continue "until someone consistently distinguishes themselves."

"I have not made up my mind yet," he said.

Pennington quipped that the only changes he'd heard involved the time of yesterday's afternoon practice, which was pushed back toward evening to sidestep the brunt of the heat wave. Ramsey said his understanding is that no coronation has taken place. "I'm sure we'll know when it's time to know," he said.

Still, it's been obvious to anyone who has wandered past the practice fields the last few days that Pennington, coming off a second shoulder surgery, has emerged as the top candidate for the top of the depth chart even while Mangini continues to stress that nothing has changed.

"My confidence is growing," Pennington said. "The whole goal was to be able to come into training camp and compete."

Now it seems the only thing between Pennington and the starting job is his ability to remain healthy for the rest of camp - and the official nod from his head coach.

Pennington's prowess also has been noticed by teammates.

"His ball has always been a certain kind of ball, and that's the kind of ball he has right now," said tight end Chris Baker in a convoluted compliment, comparing Pennington's pre- and post-surgery performances. "When he's in the huddle, he does a good job of taking command."

The quarterback carousel has not disrupted chemistry between passers and receivers, according to third-year wideout Jerricho Cotchery, but it has led to some confusion. "Sometimes when I catch a ball downfield," Cotchery said, "I come back and tell the wrong quarterback 'Nice ball.' "

Cotchery also said it is advantageous to work with all of the quarterbacks at this point because "things happen during the season."

They sure did last year. Pennington, who was coming back from a first trip to the O.R., re-injured his rotator cuff in the third week of the season (just prior to backup Jay Fiedler's shoulder injury and the Jets' season plummeting to a 4-12 finish).

Pennington underwent a second surgery in February and began training camp if not at full strength then at least at full participation. He has not missed a workout.

"I think time and repetition creates confidence," Pennington said. "I'm just trying to build on each practice. I feel I'm getting better and I want to keep making progress and not take any steps backward."

The Jets traded for Ramsey, a starter in Washington, as a Plan B in case Pennington's shoulder failed. The Jets also drafted Clemens out of Oregon in the second round as an insurance policy.

Though Mangini has not knighted Pennington, it could come soon. The coach has been cautiously praising Pennington.

"I think Chad has made progress and done some good things," Mangini said. "But you see it each day, where he'll hit a big play and then it comes back. I'm looking for consistency and I'm looking for someone to distinguish themselves on a consistent basis."

So far, the only consistency has come from Mangini himself.

Ken Berger contributed to this report.

The Jets traded for Ramsey, a starter in Washington, as a Plan B in case Pennington's shoulder failed. The Jets also drafted Clemens out of Oregon in the second round as an insurance policy.

OK I'll bite. When massively rebuilding, in a deep draft where upwards of 40-50 guys have first-round grades, do you draft a QB in round two "as an insurance policy"? Wonder where he came up with that. So if a guy doesn't start from game 1 in his rookie year, or if he's not drafted in round one then he's only an "insurance policy"?

OK I'll bite. When massively rebuilding, in a deep draft where upwards of 40-50 guys have first-round grades, do you draft a QB in round two "as an insurance policy"? Wonder where he came up with that. So if a guy doesn't start from game 1 in his rookie year, or if he's not drafted in round one then he's only an "insurance policy"?

Hopefully he meant that if Pennington is not the solution this year and next due to not fully recovering,then Clemens is the guy quicker than what would be expected.

Archived