Being Maurice Clarett

Bugg

Judge orders mental health evaluation for Clarett

By RACHEL HOAG, Associated Press Writer

August 11, 2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Maurice Clarett was ordered to have a mental health evaluation following a bizarre and violent encounter with police in which the former Ohio State football star was caught with four guns after a highway chase.

The judge delayed a trial set to begin Monday on previous charges in which the player is accused of holding up two people outside a bar on New Year's Day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Judge David Fais ordered the evaluation against the wishes of Clarett and his attorneys, citing the events surrounding the arrest early Wednesday.

"I clearly understand everything and I don't know why we have to drag this thing out," said Clarett, who scoffed, smiled and rolled his head back when Fais announced his ruling.

Clarett, who wrote a few notes to his attorney while his hands were cuffed, said he was ready to go to trial. His girlfriend, who gave birth to the couple's daughter last month, and his mother sat in the courtroom. They declined comment outside.

A delay gives Clarett time to recover from a swollen face and bruised eye from his struggle with several officers.

Fais said he was concerned by Clarett's attorneys saying in published reports that they were worried about his mental health.

"It's my job. I have to ensure that your rights are protected," Fais said.

Prosecutors supported the decision for the evaluation. Defense attorneys twice objected, saying they were confident Clarett was competent to stand trial.

Archived