JETS GRADES

Sperm Edwards

(I decided to separate this from the rest of the (mostly fluff-piece) articles this morning as I thought it would generate more chatter):

RALLY NOT ENOUGH

By MARK CANNIZZARO

September 19, 2006 -- QUARTERBACK B Chad Pennington (22-37, 306 yards, two TDs, one INT, 92.8 rating) was sharp in comeback, but it took him too long to get there. He had trouble sustaining first-half drives.

RUNNING BACK F The Jets averaged 2.1 yards per carry and failed to convert a rushing first down. Kevan Barlow led the way with 42 yards on 14 car ries. Derrick Blaylock had seven on six carries.

RECEIVERS A Laveranues Coles (6-100, TD) and Jerri cho Cotchery (6-121, TD) were magnificent. Justin McCareins (4-51) was good, too. They kept the Jets in the game.

TIGHT ENDS D Chris Baker had one catch for five yards and Sean Ryan had one for six yards. Run blocking was not good enough.

OFFENSIVE LINE C The running game speaks for itself. Pro tection was OK, though Pennington was sacked four times. Norm Katnik, replacing Pete Kendall at LG, had a false start penalty.

DEFENSIVE LINE C- Not nearly enough pressure was applied to Tom Brady, who was sacked only once, on a safety blitz. DT Kimo von Oelhoffen had five tackles, DE Bryan Thomas had four and a fumble recovery.

LINEBACKERS C- Eric Barton had nine tackles, Jonathan Vilma had seven. Victor Hobson had three tackles and a QB pressure, but also a big pass interference penalty. Not enough pressure and not good stopping the Pats' rushing attack.

SECONDARY C+ S Kerry Rhodes (team-high 11 tackles) had the best play on defense, a sack and forced fumble on Brady. S Erik Coleman had the worst play, a holding penalty that kept a Pats drive alive after the Jets had stopped them on third down.

SPECIAL TEAMS C Bryan Thomas blocked a FG. Justin Miller averaged 22 yards on three kickoff returns and Leon Washington had a 23-yard return. Kickoff coverage was poor, allowing Pats a 30.3-yard average.

KICKERS D+ K Mike Nugent rebounded well from his nightmare opener, with a clutch 42-yard FG on his only attempt. P Ben Graham had a tough go, unleashing a 10-yard punt late in the first half that led to a New England TD because of great field position.

COACHING D Eric Mangini's group didn't look as crisp early as it did last week, but showed some heart in coming back. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has to find a way to muster a running game. Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton's schemes weren't working early.

DEFENSIVE LINE C- Not nearly enough pressure was applied to Tom Brady, who was sacked only once, on a safety blitz. DT Kimo von Oelhoffen had five tackles, DE Bryan Thomas had four and a fumble recovery.

Are you kidding me?

How can he give the DLine a C-?

The Pats OLine physically manhandled the Jets Dline all day and the Pats were able to run all over them at will.

One clutch stop (a run or sack/pressure Brady) on those numerous 3rd downs in the 4th quarter, could have given the Jets a W.

That pitiful group, led by DFat, deserves and F.

Bro write up & post your Pats grades.

Want to talk about homer grades?

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=158248&format=text

A team that almost blew a 24-point lead with 7 min left in the 3rd quarter gets virtually all A's and B's?

Brady gets a B- for missing a wide open Ben Watson standing all by himself in the endzone, throwing a brutal pick, barely completing half his passes, and finished with fewer TD's than turnovers? And all this with no pressure on him since the running game was going great. Talk about a homer grade.

Bro write up & post your Pats grades.

Want to talk about homer grades?

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=158248&format=text

A team that almost blew a 24-point lead with 7 min left in the 3rd quarter gets virtually all A's and B's?

Brady gets a B- for missing a wide open Ben Watson standing all by himself in the endzone, throwing a brutal pick, barely completing half his passes, and finished with fewer TD's than turnovers? And all this with no pressure on him from the Jets DL and still less since the running game was going great. Talk about a homer grade.

I don't agree with a B- for Brady.

I would have given him a C- for missing several open receivers on Sunday (Chad Jackson was wide open on his first throw of the game and Brady overthrew him by 10 yards and the Watson throw was pathetic).

It would have been a lower grade except the way he hit clutch 3rd down throws and ate up 8 minutes of the clock during crunch time in the 4th quarter.

Nuge had a touchback Tx, did you see that? I forgot to give you that shoutout in my RC on the front page.=D>

You are joking right? He had a touchback but if I remember correctly it was after a penalty. I think he was kicking from the Pats 30, lol. And barely made it.

Nugent will not be the Jets kicker next year. His simply doesn't have the leg.

Jets' report card

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Running game: F

No rushing first downs is never a good sign -- it's the third time the Jets have been zeroed since 2003. Kevan Barlow got 14 carries and showed some promise. But up-back B.J. Askew, then Barlow were stoned on third- and fourth-and-1 early in the second half. The Jets' 2.4 yards per carry is better in the NFL than only Tampa Bay's 2.3.

Passing game: A-minus

Chad Pennington produced another 300-yard game minus a credible running threat. He was a remarkable 11-for-15 for 11 conversions on third down, including two of the greatest TD receptions in team history, by Jerricho Cotchery and Laveranues Coles, in a six-minute span.

Rush defense: C-minus

The Jets were not strong up the middle as Corey Dillon and rookie Laurence Maroney combined for 36 carries, 145 yards (4.0 average) and a pair of 1-yard TDs. NT Dewayne Robertson and ILB Jonathan Vilma were neutralized too often. S Erik Coleman's early run-blitz takedown of Maroney was the D's only tackle for loss.

Pass defense: C-minus

An all-out blitz produced the only sack of Tom Brady. Kerry Rhodes forced the fumble, Bryan Thomas recovered and the Jets' final score followed. David Barrett had the only interception after a nice end-zone pass defended on Doug Gabriel. Safeties scuffled vs. Pats' strong TEs, and Coleman's third-and-20 hold of Kevin Faulk was a killer that kept the Pats moving to their final TD.

Special teams: B

Thomas' block of rookie Stephen Gostkowski's field goal attempt was the Jets' first blocked kick of any kind in four seasons. Mike Nugent put Tennessee behind him with his quality 42-yard field goal

-- Randy Lange

I don't agree with a B- for Brady.

I would have given him a C- for missing several open receivers on Sunday (Chad Jackson was wide open on his first throw of the game and Brady overthrew him by 10 yards and the Watson throw was pathetic).

It would have been a lower grade except the way he hit clutch 3rd down throws and ate up 8 minutes of the clock during crunch time in the 4th quarter.

Ah-ha, it sounds like you're finally admitting that Pennington was the better QB on Sunday. 'Bout time you took off those Flying Elvis glasses.

Archived