Mark Brunnel throwing a perfect game?

Blackout

I don't care if that was a High School team out there that Brunell faced. Completing 24 of 27 is not human.

Not human? I thought you guys thought Kenny wasn't any good.

"Throwing short, throwing long, throwing across the field or to the sidelines, the Jets' Ken O'Brien flirted with two National Football League records today. They were about the only things he failed to achieve in another glittering victory. The Jets recorded their eighth straight triumph, taking a 28-0 lead over the Atlanta Falcons and easing to a 28-14 decision. O'Brien approached Ken Anderson's record of 20 straight completions as he hit on 17 in a row, starting with his third pass of the game and continuing into the third quarter. The quarterback at one point also owned the finest completion percentage for one game. He was 23 for 25, a mark of 92 percent. Anderson, who plays for the Cincinnati Bengals, also holds the one-game percentage mark for anyone throwing at least 20 passes. He hit 20 of 22 (90.9 percent) against Pittsburgh 12 years ago.

November 10, 1986 Sports News ts_icon.gifSPORTS OF THE TIMES; O'Brien's Toughness

By DAVE ANDERSON

AFTER the Jets trotted out for the second half, Wesley Walker happened to look up at the message board. Ken O'Brien, he learned, had completed 16 consecutive passes. And on the Jets' first series following the kickoff, Walker caught a 12-yard pass, the quarterback's 17th consecutive completion, three short of tying the National Football League record set four seasons ago by Ken Anderson, the Cincinnati Bengals' quarterback. On the next play, the Jets' wide receiver cut toward the goal line, but David Croudip batted the ball away. When the Jets' next huddle formed, Walker turned to O'Brien. ''I ruined your streak,'' Walker said. ''I didn't keep the guy off me. It broke my heart.''

Archived