Midnite Madness: Friday the 13th!

Jetsfan80

Midnite Madness happens to fall on the most "unlucky" of days on the calendar: Friday the 13th (in October, just 18 days before Halloween) no less. All we need that night is a full moon to make the effect complete.

Who is celebrating the start of college basketball on this day, for what school will it be, and what are some of the festivities going on?

Late Night with Roy, doors open 6pm this Friday night at the Smith Center.

They rounded up Stuart Scott to host again, so that should be fun <cough>.

Anyway I am really excited about it, I always have alot of fun at them.

The only thing I don't like: After Midnite Madness, it will be a MONTH before our season opener, and another 16 days after THAT until our HOME opener. Do you guys have this same problem?

Our first game will be November 1st, so yeah there are a couple weeks in between before things kick off.

November 1st is our first EXHIBITION game. Our season kicks off late because we didn't get many home games on our schedule this year (12).

By the way, you should be rooting for us this season. We play NC State on Dec. 30th, and thus effect your RPI. I'm still waiting for you guys to have the balls to play us in our house. :lol:

November 1st is our first EXHIBITION game. Our season kicks off late because we didn't get many home games on our schedule this year (12).

By the way, you should be rooting for us this season. We play NC State on Dec. 30th, and thus effect your RPI. I'm still waiting for you guys to have the balls to play us in our house. :lol:

I root for anyone who plays NC State and Dook, so you don't have to worry about that.

As far as UNC playing down there at Wilmington, thats up to the schedule makers. :)

I root for anyone who plays NC State and Dook, so you don't have to worry about that.

As far as UNC playing down there at Wilmington, thats up to the schedule makers. :)

I.E. up to Roy Williams. The last time you guys played us in '04, you would only play us in Myrtle Beach. The reason? Over the last 5 years, UNCW has won 90 % of the time at home. We'll be facing Colorado, Missouri State, and hated East Carolina there this season as far as non-conference scheduling goes. Hosting George Mason on January 29th in conference play will be fun also. :)

I.E. up to Roy Williams. The last time you guys played us in '04, you would only play us in Myrtle Beach. The reason? Over the last 5 years, UNCW has won 90 % of the time at home. We'll be facing Colorado, Missouri State, and hated East Carolina there this season as far as non-conference scheduling goes. Hosting George Mason on January 29th in conference play will be fun also. :)

I'll make sure to mention something to Roy about that then. :)

I dont think Roy is worried to play at UNC-W,, they dont usually play where they cant get a huge gate

I dont think Roy is worried to play at UNC-W,, they dont usually play where they cant get a huge gate

Its a combination of reasons why NC teams refuse to play us despite being close by travel-wise (schools not in this state have an excuse there). Money is the main one. We're the least funded school in the UNC 16-school system, so our budget is tight (lowest in our conference, the Colonial Athletic Association). Thus, we can't entice schools with $$$ to get them to play here.

Nevertheless, our strength in our own gym is another deterrent. Teams have little to gain by playing us here, in their view. However, we are starting to see the college basketball landscape change such that spurning strong mid-major programs will not be beneficial. Teams cannot afford to play the Longwoods and Savannah State's of the world without having it affect their RPI, and thus, tournament hopes. It will take a long time, but for now, the best thing for schools like mine to do is to schedule games with OTHER strong mid-major programs. This season, for example, we will be hosting Missouri State of the Missouri Valley Conference, and will likely have a partnership with teams of that conference over a longterm period. George Mason, also of our conference, will have games scheudled with Bucknell, Creighton, and Wichita State this season.

Hoops Mania - 7pm Oct. 20th

Go Wildcats! Sumpter is gonna represent class of '06 this year... Scottie Reynolds playing some point. Sure we have a white shooting guard, but when he's not sick, he puts up some points...

Another year, another Villanova Tourney-bid. I don't know if we can win the Big East again though. G-Town is gonna be tough, and UConn always cheats ;-)

Had a great time last night, and early this morning. The team looks great, although Stuart Scott was annoying as always.

Pictures to arrive soon.

I'm hearing big things about your freshman class. But how is that different about any other season for UNC?

My Seahawks are looking stacked again this season. We lost our leader (PG John Goldsberry, who still holds two NCAA Tournament records), but out-recruited a handful of ACC teams and the Florida Gators for SG Josh Sheets, who has received some light comparisons to J.J. Reddick (I'm in a "wait and see" state of mind about that). The rest of the recruiting class looks strong too and was ranked 2nd in the CAA behind Final 4 team George Mason.

But with new coach Benny Moss (spent his last 6 years as an assistant at Charlotte) and a tough schedule (Tennessee, Colorado, Missouri State, NC State and a bracket buster game potentially await), I am optimistic, but can't expect to win 25 games like last season. But a 2nd straight CAA Title (5th in 8 years) is certainly not out of the question. GO SEAHAWKS!

Yeah our freshman look solid this year too. Wayne Ellington and Brandon Wright will be huge for us I think.

Hey Jetsfan80, your team will have my full support as they take on NC State...they are only second to Dook in teams I despise!!

We received some devastating news for the CURRENT season, but something that could mean that UNCW is stronger NEXT season.

Our star G T.J. Carter is battling a sports hernia and may need surgery, which would end his season. However, with a medical redshirt, he would be able to play next season. While this would hurt our chances at winning a CAA Title this season, it means our team next season will be absolutely loaded (Carter, Wake transfer Todd Hendley, HUGE PF Vlad Kuljanin, and our star recruits from 2005 and 2006 in JD Gardner and Josh Sheets, respectively).

So while I think we have a decent chance at beating NC State and having a successful season, regardless, 2007-2008 may be THE YEAR to look out for UNCW.

Kind of reminds me when we lost Sean May to a foot injury in a game against Iona. Hurt the team short term but once he came back things were full speed ahead.

This will probably be the case with your team, 80.

I think it was more like when Pat Sullivan was out because of back surgery. When he came back they went on a roll that year! ;)

Kind of reminds me when we lost Sean May to a foot injury in a game against Iona. Hurt the team short term but once he came back things were full speed ahead.

This will probably be the case with your team, 80.

Probably the case. I would rather have Carter come back healthy next season than play hurt this year.

Just had homecoming this weekend at Nova. Hoops Mania was amazing. The guys looked good on the court, and I'm glad to see Curtis Sumpter playing again.

BUT Hoops Mania isn't just about basketball...

In terms of pure showmanship, we definitely took the cake. The Blue Team for the Blue vs. White scrimmage was coached by Tony Yayo of G-Unit. After the scrimmage he performed a song from his new album with surprise guest 50-Cent.

Oh, and our basketball team was introduced in a video by Howie Long and Terry Bradshaw.

Even our President, Father Donohue was putting on a show.

Just had homecoming this weekend at Nova. Hoops Mania was amazing. The guys looked good on the court, and I'm glad to see Curtis Sumpter playing again.

BUT Hoops Mania isn't just about basketball...

In terms of pure showmanship, we definitely took the cake. The Blue Team for the Blue vs. White scrimmage was coached by Tony Yayo of G-Unit. After the scrimmage he performed a song from his new album with surprise guest 50-Cent.

Oh, and our basketball team was introduced in a video by Howie Long and Terry Bradshaw.

Even our President, Father Donohue was putting on a show.

Yeah, uart, 80 mentioned a few things about your Midnite Madness, and I know several other people who go to 'Nova who had a great time. I respect Nova's program a lot and hope they can return to the Elite 8 even without Randy Foye.

I respect Nova's program a lot and hope they can return to the Elite 8 even without Randy Foye.

Thanks, I hope they can too. It'll be interesting to see -- we've got some good freshmen, and three starters returning. I'm pretty confident that we'll get a tourney bid, but I'm not sure how far we'll go. We've got early tests against Texas and Oklahoma again, so we'll see what they've got then.

Much better it be UNC than a Florida repeat... HOWEVER, I'll be expecting a Villanova Championship (as usual), until the season is over.

Assuming my UNCW Seahawks are out of the running for a national title (although anything is possible: See George Mason, a fellow CAA rival), the nonconference team I will be rooting for will be Villanova.

However, my money is on Ohio State. I think that freshman Greg Oden will have an effect on Ohio St. much like Carmelo Anthony had on Syracuse's title run. And Thad Matta is proving to be an elite head coach as well. At worst, I anticipate them winning a Big 10 title and advancing to the Elite 8.

Archived