THURSDAY 10/26 JETS ARTICLES

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/465350p-391579c.html

Mangini, here is thou Romeo

For the second time in his young head-coaching career, Eric Mangini will face one of his mentors. This time, there won't be a big chill.

Mangini thinks the world of Browns coach Romeo Crennel, and the feeling is mutual. They worked together for seven years, lived together for a few months and still keep in touch. Imagine that: Two members of the same coaching fraternity, separated by job changes, who have actually maintained communication.

A far cry from the Mangini-Bill Belichick relationship.

"You know how I feel about Romeo," Mangini said yesterday. "Good football coach, good friend, good mentor."

Unlike Belichick, who refused to give his former protege credit before the Jets-Patriots matchup in Week 2, Crennel gushed about Mangini.

"(The Jets) are 4-3, and I don't think anyone expected him to be able to pull that off," Crennel said in a conference call. "That, in itself, is a testament to his abilities."

Crennel and Mangini worked together with the Jets (1997 to 1999), but they didn't really hit it off until they were in New England. Working under Belichick, they worked side-by-side for four seasons, winning three Super Bowls in that span.

In 2001, Mangini invited Crennel and his wife to live with his family for a few months while Crennel's house was built near Foxboro.

"He always brought wine and snacks," Mangini said, recalling Crennel as a house guest. "Well, more snacks than wine."

When Crennel landed the Browns' head-coaching job in 2005, he made a hard run at Mangini to be his defensive coordinator.

"I thought I had him for a minute," Crennel said. "But Belichick had a chance to talk to him last. Somebody once told me, 'If somebody can talk you into something, somebody can talk you out of something.' So Belichick talked better than I did."

In his second season, Crennel has encountered tough times. The Browns are 1-5, and offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon resigned under pressure this week.

"When you make a change like that, it's a major distraction," Crennel admitted. "Trying to get the players focused becomes an issue.... It's tough to get that done quickly, but you don't have time."

Mangini wants to see his old friend do well, but a win over the Browns would mean more misery for Crennel. That's one of the crazy aspects of the NFL.

"I know the things he believes in as a coach, and the things he's done as a coach, and you can see those characteristics in his team," Mangini said. "I know he'll do an outstanding job, and always has."

Rich Cimini

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/465349p-391577c.html

Kevan thinks outside run

Would follow Leon's steps

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

824-barlow_jets.JPG

Former Niner Kevan Barlow

would like to get his Jet

career off and running like

a certain rookie's.

When Kevan Barlow arrived from the 49ers in August, it was widely assumed he would emerge as the Jets' featured back, filling the Curtis Martin void. So far, Barlow has been upstaged by a rookie, Leon Washington, who became a back-page star in last week's breakout game.

Well, Barlow has a message for those who may have forgotten about him: My day is coming.

"He's shining right now," Barlow said of Washington yesterday, "but K.B. is going to get his shine, too."

Barlow is happy for Washington, who is well-liked among the veterans because of his studious approach, but the sixth-year running back believes he is capable of putting up big numbers - given the right opportunities.

In Eric Mangini's tag-team backfield, Barlow has emerged as Mr. Inside, with the elusive Washington as Mr. Outside. In last week's win over the Lions, Washington busted two long runs on the edge, a 23-yarder on his first carry and a 16-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. He finished with 129 yards, the most by a Jets rookie since Matt Snell gained 180 against the Oilers in 1964.

Barlow would like a day like that. He wasn't complaining, but he also doesn't want to be stereotyped as a between-the-tackles back.

"I'm a guy who can be physical, but I also feel like I can make you miss, too," said Barlow (6-1, 234). "And once I get by you, I'm gone, baby."

At one point, he seemed to be lobbying for more chances to show what he can do in the open field.

"I'm pounding the ball up there and he's getting the pitches and the draws," Barlow said, referring to Washington. "Shoot, I'd like some of those, too."

Early in his career, Barlow showed breakaway ability, but he averaged only 3.3 yards per carry in 2004 and 2005, one of the lowest marks in the league. This season, he's gaining 3.0 per rush, but he has a team-high five touchdowns, plus a number of important short-yardage conversions.

Mangini is a proponent of package-based game plans, using players in specific roles, and he evidently believes Barlow is better suited to the power runs. But Barlow likes to think that will change, once he gets more comfortable in the system.

Because of the trade, Barlow got a late start. He thinks that's the reason why he hasn't been used in single-back sets, a formation that stresses pass-protection responsibilities. When the Jets employ a single back, it's usually Washington, who has an impressive 4.9 average and a team-high 346 yards.

Mangini sounded like he's not planning any shake ups for Sunday's game in Cleveland.

"It will be game-plan specific or package specific," he said, referring to the week-to-week roles of the two backs. "(Leon) has certain plays and Kevan has certain plays, and there is some flexibility within those plays for both guys."

Barlow is trying to distance himself from his reputation as a malcontent. At the same time, he'd like a chance to expand his repertoire.

"I'm not a third-and-1 back like Jerome Bettis was in his career," he said. "That's not me. I'm a guy who can play the whole game. Right now, it's helping us win and it's productive. You can't complain about something that's not negative."

notebook.gif

CHAD WRAP: QB Chad Pennington showed up wearing a wrap on his throwing hand. He said it was just a "turf burn" from diving for a first down in the last game. He's listed on the injury report, but with the calf injury he suffered in Week 2. ... FB B.J. Askew (foot), RB Cedric Houston (knee), CB David Barrett (hip) and WR Tim Dwight (thigh) are questionable. ... Mangini on rookie C Nick Mangold (6-4, 300) blocking 365-pound NT Ted Washington: "He might have to spend a little time in the cafeteria with Brick, and carbo load" - reference to undersized LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10262006/sports/jets/carthon_ax_came_from_top_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

CARTHON AX CAME FROM TOP

By MARK CANNIZZARO

October 26, 2006 -- JET NOTES

Life is a bit turbulent in Cleveland with Browns management having forced out offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, who was hand-picked by head coach Romeo Crennel, and replacing him with offensive line coach Jeff Davidson.

"It's always stressful when you make a change, particularly in the middle of the year, because one of the things you have to overcome in this business is distractions," said Crennel, who clearly was not behind the move. "When you make a change like that it's a major distraction. Trying to get the players focused sometimes becomes an issue.

"I told the players [yesterday], 'Try to spend all your energy talking about the Jets and focusing on the Jets and not talk about the transition that occurred.' We'll see how they follow my advice."

Browns QB Charlie Frye said, "It's been a different week. We're trying to keep things as normal as we can throughout our preparation."

Asked if he's sorry to see Carthon go, Frye said, "It's out of my hands. My opinion doesn't matter. It's a decision that was made and we're going to rally around Coach Davidson and go out and play for him."

The Browns have scored only 88 points in six games, fifth-worst in the NFL, and have averaged a league-worst 245.2 yards per game. The Jets, who last week scored their first TDs in the first quarter all season, might actually have found a victim in the Browns, who've been outscored 34-6 in the opening quarter this season.

Frye said Crennel has remained a rock through the problems, saying, "Coach Crennel is always upbeat. Whether he's hurting or not, he never lets the team know. He's still coming in here with a smile and the attitude that we're going to win."

Crennel was mysterious and funny yesterday when asked where he got the nickname "RAC." Asked what the "A" stands for, he quipped, "Sometimes I tell people it stands for 'Astonishing.'

The Jets have the usual suspects on the injury report with WRs Laveranues Coles (calf) and Tim Dwight (thigh) listed as questionable. Both generally play every week. For the Browns, TE Kellen Winslow (knee), their leading receiver, is listed as questionable, but he practiced yesterday.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10262006/sports/jets/more_civil_than_war_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

MORE CIVIL THAN WAR

By MARK CANNIZZARO

October 26, 2006 -- They've come a long way.

It's been only about five years since Eric Mangini, the apprentice, was hosting Romeo Crennel, the mentor, at his home in New England.

For about six months in 2001, while Crennel's home was being built, Mangini and his wife, Julie, had Crennel and his wife, Rosemary, stay in their guest room.

"He was excellent, always brought wine and snacks ... well, more snacks than wine," Mangini recalled with a smirk yesterday.

In those days, Crennel was the Patriots' defensive coordinator and Mangini was his secondary coach. Their bond as assistant coaches from the Bill Parcells-Bill Belichick coaching tree, which began when they were together with the Jets on Parcells' staff in 1997, grew from coaching colleagues to close friends.

On Sunday in Cleveland, the two will battle each other as opposing head coaches when Mangini brings his 4-3 Jets in to play Crennel's scuffling 1-5 Browns.

Mangini spoke yesterday as if he can coldly separate the game from friendship. Crennel indicated that he'd rather not be a part of the game since one of the two friends will leave the stadium with a loss.

"It would be better if we didn't have to compete against each other, because somebody is going to have to lose and I don't think either one of us wants to lose," Crennel said yesterday.

"We're going to get the Jets ready to play and he's going to get the Browns ready to play," Mangini said. "Our relationship is secondary to that. Then, upon completion of the game, it'll go back to the way it was. The focus is really on the game. Then after that, the relationship."

Crennel was highly complimentary of the job Mangini has done with the Jets, saying, "They're 4-3 and I don't think anyone expected him to be able to pull that off. That in itself is a testament to his abilities."

Crennel said he got a good feel for Mangini as a coach and a person when the two were together with the Jets.

"Sometimes you just get a feel about individuals," Crennel said. "At the Jets, I liked Eric from the first day."

Crennel liked Mangini so much that he went hard after him as his defensive coordinator once he as hired as the Browns' head coach in 2005. Mangini ended up staying with Belichick as the Patriots' defensive coordinator and then, of course, parlayed that into the Jets' head-coaching job this past offseason.

"I tried really hard [to get him]," Crennel said. "I thought I had him for a minute. But Belichick had a chance to talk to him last. Somebody once told me, 'If somebody can talk you into something, somebody can talk you out of something.' So Belichick talked better than I did."

Asked what he saw in Mangini the coach, Crennel said, "He's smart. He's accountable. He can adjust to things that happen on the field and he's good at putting a game plan together. He knows the strengths and weaknesses of offenses and defenses and he's good with players."

Crennel should know, because one of his strengths has always been dealing with players, despite large egos and other issues.

"He [Crennel] is a guy that guys love to play for," Jets LB Matt Chatham, who played under Crennel and Mangini in New England, said. "You want to do well, because you know he's giving you his everything to prepare you for the game. He has this sort of grandfatherly figure to him - that real respected guy that knows so much about this game and you want to do well for him. I think guys [in Cleveland] feel the same for 'RAC.'"

Chatham and the Jets are well aware of the turbulent times Crennel is going through in Cleveland, with offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon being forced out by management and the vultures beginning to circle Crennel in the middle of his second season.

"The things he does as a coach translate well to success," Chatham said. "He's the kind of guy you want at the head of your organization. There are many, many factors that are outside your control. I think Bill [belichick] probably exemplifies it the best. A lot of people probably questioned him getting a second chance and you've seen what's happened since then.

"I would be hesitant to jump from 'RAC' [if he were the Browns]. 'RAC' is a great coach. They're going to be successful; I know they will ... just hopefully not this week."

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/SPORTS01/610260389/1108/SPORTS01

Jets' Barlow waiting for his role to expand

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: October 26, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD — It wasn't a plea for attention. Kevan Barlow just wants the Jets to remember he's around.

"Early in my career, I wanted all 50 carries through all 16 games, but that's not going to work in this league," the sixth-year running back said yesterday. "Me and Leon (Washington) complement each other. He's shining, but I'm going to get mine, too."

The Jets' rookie rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns in Sunday's 31-24 win over the Lions, his second 100-yard performance in three weeks.

Barlow had a season-high 49 yards on 12 carries and one touchdown, giving him 236 yards on 79 carries this season. His five rushing touchdowns are tied for seventh in the NFL. His career low for a season is 512 yards on 125 carries, his totals as a San Francisco 49ers rookie in 2001.

Barlow doesn't want to be typecast as a bruising, third-down back.

"No, that's what I don't want," Barlow said. "I'm not a third-down-and-one back like Jerome Bettis was late in his career. But right now it's what's helping us win, it's productive, so you can't complain about something that's not negative."

Barlow was asked about his maturation process.

"I don't think I would complain," he said. "But I know me, I know I need the ball more. Like I said, Leon's doing great, he's shining right now. But KB's going to get his shine, too. There's no doubt in my mind it's going to come."

Barlow said he still was trying to fully learn the Jets' offense after his Aug. 20 acquisition. He said if there was a positive to averaging 11.3 carries per game, it's that his body is not taking a pounding.

Plus, he's happy.

"I bring other things to the team besides my skills; I'm a leader and we've got a young group of guys," Barlow said. "They need to know I'm happy being there. I was in a situation where I wasn't too happy. I think this is a great organization."

Not ****y: The visiting Jets (4-3) are a two-point underdog to the Browns (1-5), which might be considered a bit of a surprise. But not to Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles.

"How could we be overconfident?" Coles said. "No one picked us to do anything this year. We're probably still going to be underdogs going into the game."

No interest: The Browns tried to acquire defensive back Derrick Strait from the Jets in training camp before the deal was nullified when running back Lee Suggs failed his Jets physical. Strait is once again on the market, having been cut by Tampa Bay. But the Browns instead signed Mike Hawkins after cornerback Gary Baxter injured both knees in Sunday's 17-7 loss to the Broncos.

"We got Leigh Bodden back (from an ankle injury), and there was another young kid that we worked out a couple of times that we were interested in," Cleveland head coach Romeo Crennel said. "Right now, we're not going to be able to have a spot for (Strait)."

Injury report: Jets running back Cedric Houston (knee) still is limited in practice and one of six Jets listed as questionable. Cornerback David Barrett (hip) and center Trey Teague (ankle) will also likely miss the game. For the Browns, Bodden (ankle), wide receiver Dennis Northcutt (ribs) and tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. (knee) were among seven players listed as questionable. Quarterback Charlie Frye, who suffered a mild concussion against the Broncos, was not on the list.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/SPORTS01/610260390/1108/SPORTS01

Jets come to Browns' house

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: October 26, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD — When Romeo Crennel rejoined the Patriots' coaching staff in 2001, he purchased a house still under construction. He and his wife, Rosemary, were all set for a long-term hotel stay when Eric Mangini, then New England's defensive-backs coach, intervened.

"He said, 'No, no, don't do that, come stay with us,' " Crennel said yesterday. "He offered his house, and so my wife and I, we were the house guests. It was nice to have someplace to go that wasn't a hotel and then be able to visit with people you enjoy being with."

It was more than a "visit." The Crennels stayed with the Manginis for nearly six months.

"He was excellent, always brought wine and snacks," Mangini said. "Well, more snacks than wine."

This week's meeting will be much shorter. Mangini's Jets (4-3) play Crennel's Browns (1-5) Sunday at Cleveland, and while the two have chatted regularly this season, they won't this week until game day.

Crennel could use a friend these days as this reunion comes at a tough time for him.

While Mangini is receiving praise for changes he's made in his first season with the Jets, Crennel is under fire in his second season with the Browns. He will have a new offensive coordinator Sunday after Maurice Carthon resigned on Monday.

"Coach Crennel is always upbeat," Browns quarterback Charlie Frye said. "Whether he's hurting or not, he never lets the team know. He's still coming in with a smile and the attitude that we're going to win."

While Carthon's departure was officially a resignation, some reports indicated he was forced out against Crennel's wishes.

"That's always stressful when you make a change, particularly in the middle of the year because one of the things that are hard to overcome in this business is distractions," Crennel said. "Like I told the players this morning, try to spend all your energy talking about the Jets and focusing on the Jets and not talk abut the transition that occurred. But you know how that goes. We'll see how they follow my advice."

It's getting to be old hat for members of the Bill Belichick coaching tree to face each other, but Mangini and Crennel happen to be closer than most.

Mangini worked directly under Crennel — he estimated they spent about 12 hours a day working together and still calls his friend "a mentor" — and succeeded him as the Patriots' defensive coordinator last season.

Mangini and Crennel, whose first NFL job was with the Giants in 1981, first worked together on Bill Parcells' staff with the Jets from 1997-99.

"He's a guy that waited too long in his career to get that head job that he deserved before," said Jets linebacker Matt Chatham, who was with New England from 2000-05. "They've had a rash of injuries, a lot of real, unfortunate breaks, a tough schedule. I don't like to see that. I like to see him do well, other than this week."

When Crennel finally landed the Browns' job in 2005, he tried to woo Mangini to be his defensive coordinator.

"I thought I had him for a minute," Crennel said. "But Belichick had a chance to talk to him last. Somebody once told me, 'If somebody can talk you into something, somebody can talk you out of something.' So Belichick talked better than I did."

Of course, Mangini tried to lure Jeff Davidson to be his offensive coordinator. Davidson, the Browns' offensive-line coach, will replace Carthon in calling the plays.

"I know Rac does a great job," Mangini said of Crennel. "I think he'll continue to do a great job."

And if he ever needs a place to live, Crennel knows where to turn.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets264948392oct26,0,960227.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Romeo, old buddy

Crennel, Mangini's former house guest, still friendly with him

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

October 26, 2006

When Romeo Crennel returned to the Patriots' coaching staff as defensive coordinator in 2001, he figured he would have to spend a few weeks living out of a hotel room while the finishing construction touches were put on his house. Nonsense, said one of the other coaches, who offered Crennel a guest room in his house.

That other guy with the open-door policy was Eric Mangini, and for about five months the two Patriots assistants - and future NFL head coaches - not only worked together but lived together, carpooling and spending time getting to know each other on a level beyond the reach of most professional relationships.

"He was excellent, always brought wine and snacks," Mangini said of his "You, Me and Dupree" episode with Crennel. "More snacks than wine."

There'll be more respect than whine this week when the Jets face the Browns in a game both teams desperately need to win. In the Week 2 Jets game against the Patriots, the presumed close connection between Mangini and Bill Belichick was exposed as unable to survive Mangini's departure to a division opponent. This Sunday there will probably be no awkward pregame avoidance, dead-fish postgame handshakes or vague insults through the media between Mangini and Crennel.

Theirs is a friendly rivalry, emphasis on the first word.

"It's a game and we're going to prepare our teams," said Mangini, who seemed to be looking forward to the meeting. "Our relationship is secondary to that. And then, upon the completion of the game, it'll go back to the way it was."

Crennel said he first met Mangini with the Jets. "I liked Eric from basically the first day," he said, and quickly noticed the young assistant's work ethic and attention to detail. It wasn't until they were brought back together in New England in 2001 that Crennel realized Mangini could have the makings of a head coach. By then Mangini was working on game plans, adjustments and manipulating egos in the secondary.

"You knew that he was a sharp guy and you knew that someday he'd have the opportunity to be a head coach," Crennel said.

When Crennel left the Patriots to become the Browns' head coach last year, he tried hard to lure Mangini with him as a defensive coordinator. At one point, he thought he had him.

"If somebody can talk you into something, somebody can talk you out of something, and so Belichick talked better than I did," Crennel said of the Patriots' push to keep Mangini as their defensive coordinator and Crennel's replacement. "Belichick gave him his first opportunity in the NFL, and those ties are strong."

Mangini and Belichick may have had a relationship, but the Mangini-Crennel friendship is proving to be much stronger in the face of competition.

Notes & quotes: RB Kevan Barlow said he is adjusting to being the second part of the Jets' 1-2 combination with rookie Leon Washington. "My whole career I was the guy," Barlow said. "It's new to me, but I've learned to accept it because it's productive and it's helping us win games." That doesn't sound like the guy who railed against his line in San Francisco and compared 49ers coach Mike Nolan to Hitler on his way out the door, but Barlow said he has matured. He said he fears he will become pigeon-holed as a short-yardage back, and most of his plays this season have come with a fullback in front of him (Washington gets most of the single-back reps). "He's shining right now," Barlow said of Washington, coming off a 129-yard game against the Lions, "but K.B.'s going to get his shine, too." ... The Jets' injury report lists WRs Laveranues Coles (calf) and Tim Dwight (thigh), FB B.J. Askew (foot), RB Cedric Houston (knee), CB David Barrett (hip) and C Trey Teague (ankle) as questionable. Browns TE Kellen Winslow Jr. (knee) also is questionable.

ABOUT THE BROWNS

Coach: Romeo Crennel, second season (7-15)

Last week: Lost to Broncos, 17-7

About the offense: The Browns have some skilled players in TE Kellen Winslow Jr., RB Reuben Droughns and WR Joe Jurevicius, but they were unable to sew those pieces into a quilt under offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon. It'll be interesting to see if the play-calling progresses with offensive line coach Jeff Davidson taking over, but the biggest problem the Browns have may be Charlie Frye and his 67.3 quarterback rating, 29th in the league. The second-year player has thrown six TDs and 10 interceptions this season. The Browns average 68.2 rushing yards per game. Other teams have been able to cure their running problems against the Jets, but the Browns probably don't have the muscle on the O-line to do that.

About the defense: It should look familiar to Jets fans because it's pretty similar to the systems that Crennel and Eric Mangini used in New England. The Browns went through their adjustment to the 3-4 last year. Sixteen-year veteran Ted Washington, a 365-pound NT, and 13th-year LB Willie McGinest may be beyond their prime, but their knowledge of the system allows them to continue contributing. CB Gary Baxter blew out his knees Sunday, further depleting the secondary. The Browns allow a respectable 192.8 passing yards, but that's mostly because teams get early leads and run the ball against them.

The bottom line: The Browns' offense is in disarray, and changing the coordinator probably won't fix it in less than a week. It's at or near the bottom of the NFL in just about every category, so this should be a game in which the Jets' defense can fatten up its stats. The key will be for the linebackers and safeties to contain Winslow. The Jets have been able to run the ball a bit lately, but they may have to fall back on the passing game to pull this one out, as they did in wins over the Titans and Bills.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161837953113720.xml&coll=1

Robertson showing a nose for the ball

Thursday, October 26, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Dewayne Robertson loves cars. The Jets nose tackle has an extensive collection of late-model and early-model vehicles, including a massive Ford pickup truck that has a remote-control door-opener (there are no door handles) and a stepladder that automatically deploys. The truck sits several feet off the ground.

He also has a Hummer, Cadillac, Mercedes SL 600, BMW 650i and a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass, among other vehicles.

Several of the cars are with Robertson on Long Island. Each morning he decides his vehicle du jour. The others, including "two or three old-school" classics he fixed up from scratch, are stored at his home in suburban Memphis, Tenn.

In all, Robertson is believed to have nearly a dozen cars. He refused to give an exact number.

"With me, it's not clothes. It's cars," Robertson said yesterday. "I like cars. It's just my thing. I guess it came from growing up (in the Orange Mound section of Memphis). I saw all the guys hook their cars up and I said whenever I had the chance to make some money, I'm going to do that."

Robertson, drafted fourth overall in 2003 out of Kentucky, is earning every penny of his $4.6 million base salary these days as an undersized nose tackle in the Jets' new 3-4 defense. Every game is a battle. Every play is hand-to-hand combat.

After some early season growing pains, the 6-1, 317-pound Robertson is beginning to excel at the position, using his strength and quickness to compensate for his lack of size. Most NFL nose tackles weigh in at 330 pounds or more.

Last week Robertson had a sack (his first of the season), a forced fumble and six tackles in the Jets' 31-24 victory over the Lions at Giants Stadium. He spent much of the game in the Lions' backfield, tackling running back Brian Calhoun for a 2-yard loss and forcing a fumble in the fourth quarter that was recovered by Detroit.

"I'm just getting familiar with the technique and doing what I'm coached to do," said Robertson, who was named the defensive player of the game by coach Eric Mangini. "I'm just playing football."

This season Robertson, who also plays defensive tackle and defensive end in some fronts, has 29 tackles, a sack and forced fumble. He must two-gap, which is to protect the running lanes on each side in the 3-4 scheme. But when the Jets switch to the 4-3 alignment, Robertson is allowed to shoot gaps, which is his forte.

The Jets rank 30th in the NFL in total defense, 28th against the run (yielding 142.4 yards per game). At times, teams have run right up the middle. But Robertson is playing better as he learns the nose tackle position, and as he improves, so will the Jets' run defense. Detroit rushed for 125 yards last Sunday.

"Dewayne has been doing a great job for us all season," inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "He hasn't been getting the accolades or the credit he deserves, but he's been doing a great job."

"You have big and slow (nose tackles) and you have medium and quick," said defensive end Kimo Von Oelhoffen, who played nose tackle in Pittsburgh during his six seasons there. "(Robertson) is medium and quick. He's a penetrating nose tackle who can two-gap. That's big, man. He can play in nickel packages and big (packages).

"Right now he's playing very, very well. He's making plays and he's disrupting plays."

Robertson, who had never played in a 3-4 alignment, said the key to being a good nose tackle is technique, specifically how you use your hands.

"Hand placement, that's the key," he said. "You have to have your hands inside your opponent so you can control the guy. You have to beat his hands to the punch.

"You get your hands inside first, you're going to win the battle. If you have slow hands or lazy hands, you're not going to win the battle. You have to have quick hands."

Robertson said he makes up for his lack of sheer bulk with his "quickness and power."

Mangini has been criticized for playing Robertson out of position but has refused to reconsider. And Robertson has played the part of the good soldier by not complaining. He says he just wants to help the team any way he can.

"Dewayne has had some good weeks here," Mangini said. "He's focused on technique. He's a powerful guy. He's a strong guy. He's got good quickness. He's marrying good hand placement, good footwork and all that natural ability with technique, and it's making him more and more productive each week."

"(Robertson) is real comfortable now," defensive end Shaun Ellis said. "He has seen all of the blocking schemes he's going to get. That helps. A lot of teams have been blocking us different ways. Now, he can play with more confidence."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161837972113720.xml&coll=1

Browns' Winslow is a force

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Browns tight end Kellen Winslow, drafted sixth overall in 2004, broke his leg in Week 2 of his rookie season. Then he sat out all of last season after suffering a career-threatening knee injury, among other injuries, in a motorcycle accident in the spring of 2005.

Undeterred, Winslow, 6-4 and 248 pounds, is back on the football field and living up to his promise. He has 33 receptions (tops among NFL tight ends) for 317 yards and two touchdowns this season, heading into Sunday's game against the Jets.

And the former Miami Hurricane remains outspoken, having criticized former offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, who resigned on Monday.

"Kellen has had a long road to where he's at right now," Browns QB Charlie Frye said via a conference call yesterday. "The way he's playing right now, you wouldn't even notice it. He's a hard worker, he loves the game, he studies the game and he goes out there on Sunday with a 'you can't cover me' attitude. That's what we like about him. The intensity he brings.

"Yeah, I'm real happy for him. I saw all the work that he did last winter. I was with him almost every day. The first time he took the field in the preseason was an awesome experience. Everybody in the locker room and all the coaches know what he has done to get back on that field, so they have a lot of respect for him."

QB Chad Pennington is looking like a natural in the Jets' no-huddle offense. Coach Eric Mangini said he had thoughts of running it but wasn't convinced until he saw former Jets QB Brooks Bollinger engineer a 23-play drive in the second preseason game against the Redskins. The drive, however, netted only a field goal.

"(Offensive coordinator) Brian (Schottenheimer) likes it, I like it and we made good progress in training camp," Mangini said. "I always thought that Chad was really good at managing a game, always putting pressure on you by the types of decisions that he made.

"Taking what the defense gave him, attacking a weakness, understanding what the weakness is in the coverage, in the running game and putting the team in a good position to succeed and protecting the football. This process is just an extension of that. He studies all the time. He's here all the time."

Mangini and his family had Browns coach Romeo Crennel and his family as house guests for nearly six months in New England while Crennel was waiting for his house to be built in 2001. The pair remain very close.

"He was excellent (as a house guest), always brought wine and snacks," Mangini said. "Well, more snacks than wine."...

Mangini's first NFL job was as a public relations intern in 1995, when Bill Belichick coached Browns.

Despite their start, the Jets still aren't getting any respect. They are two-point underdogs to the lowly Browns in Cleveland on Sunday. ... RB Cedric Houston (knee), CB David Barrett (hip) and G/T Trey Teague (ankle) each did limited work in practice and are listed as questionable.

(missed these two yesterday but it's not like it's late-breaking news anyway)

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=20061025184537370000101-a&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.american-football.nfl.news&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Jets ready to enter the dog pound

Oct 25, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP)-The resurgent New York Jets try to surpass their victory total from last season and win three straight games for the first time since 2004 when they visit the lowly Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

New York improved to 4-3 when it hung on to defeat Detroit 31-24 last week, matching its win total from last season. The Jets beat Miami 20-17 in Week 6 and are now trying to record three straight victories for the first time since Nov. 21-Dec. 5, 2004.

That run started with a come-from-behind 10-7 victory at Cleveland in the teams' last meeting.

"We are 4-3. That's it." first-year Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "The things that happened last year, I was in another place at that point.

"The consistency at practice and the individual preparation now is carrying over into better execution in the game, which is carrying over into wins. That's the most important thing for us to be successful is consistency, work ethic, preparation and detail."

Mangini and the Jets have benefited from a healthy Chad Pennington and a developing running game.

Pennington has completed 65.8 percent of his passes for 1,450 yards and nine touchdowns this season after missing 22 games over the previous three years with shoulder and wrist problems.

Rookie Leon Washington, meanwhile, has emerged as New York's featured back and ran for 129 yards and the first two touchdowns of his career in last week's win over the Lions.

"For me, the most impressive thing is his physicality," Pennington said about the 5-foot-8 Washington, who was selected in the fourth round of April's draft. "People are learning about his speed, but he's very physical between the tackles. He doesn't go down with one defender, it takes multiple defenders to take him down. He bounces off of tackles, he's a very physical person even though his size wouldn't make you think that."

Washington, whose 346 rushing yards are the third-most by a rookie this season, will be facing a Cleveland defense that is ranked 29th in the NFL against the run, allowing 144.2 yards per game.

The Browns (1-5), though, will be taking the field against a shaky Jets defense that gives up 372.3 yards a contest, third-most in the NFL. New York has allowed 74 points in the fourth quarter, two fewer than it's given up in the entire first half.

"Same story right now," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "We've got to find a way to maintain our intensity on defense throughout the whole game."

The Browns need to show some intensity as they hope to avoid their second three-game losing streak of the season. Cleveland fell 17-7 to Denver last Sunday behind an offense that had 165 total yards and three turnovers.

That performance helped lead to the resignation of second-year offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon on Tuesday. Under Carthon, the Browns were averaging an NFL-worst 245.2 yards of total offense per game.

"We talked man-to-man about our situation that we are in," coach Romeo Crennel said. "To do what I thought was best for the Browns, the organization and the fans of Cleveland, I decided to accept his resignation."

Jeff Davidson, the club's offensive line coach the past two seasons, will replace Carthon. The 39-year-old Davidson was given the additional title of assistant head coach after last season when he nearly took a job with the Jets.

"Jeff is putting his thoughts together about what he thinks and feels," Crennel said. "We'll see how that manifests itself. I don't think that you can realistically expect that it's going to manifest itself into a wide-open offense overnight. For one, the players are ingrained in a system, terminology and so forth. If you go in and change all of the terminology and all of the plays, you are starting from scratch."

On defense, Cleveland will be without Gary Baxter after the veteran cornerback tore the patellar tendons in both knees during last week's loss to the Broncos. He has appeared in just eight games with the Browns since signing a six-year deal prior to last season.

Baxter joins fellow cornerbacks Daylon McCutcheon and DeMario Minter, and safeties Jeremy LeSueur and Shawn Mayer on injured reserve. But despite all the injuries to the secondary, Cleveland is 10th in the NFL with 192.8 passing yards allowed per game.

New York has won six of the last nine meetings in this series, including four of six in Cleveland.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=20061025210600440000101-a&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.american-football.nfl.news&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Leon Washington making case to be Jets' RB of present - and future

Oct 25, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -Leon Washington can no longer walk into the locker room anonymously, put on his uniform and pads and head out to the practice field the way he did at the beginning of the season.

The New York Jets rookie running back with the flashy moves and the big, bright smile draws crowds to his locker these days.

"Football is fun," said a beaming Washington, surrounded by nearly a dozen reporters and a handful of cameras Wednesday.

Washington has rushed for over 100 yards in two of the last three games and, more importantly, might have established himself as the Jets' running back of the present - and future. The urgency for Curtis Martin to recover from his knee injury and get back on the field lessens with each productive game by Washington.

"It's been pretty good," he said, "but at the same time, I have to remain humble in my approach and realize that I'm still a young guy and there's still a lot of places I can improve my game on the field."

That's an ongoing process, helped in part by Martin, who in some ways is passing the baton to Washington. The two constantly talk, and Martin has told him to be more patient with his runs and use the entire field, not just instinctively bounce to the outside.

"Thank God I am blessed with Curtis Martin in the locker room," Washington said recently. "He has been a big help in our running game and he has also taught the offensive line and helped them out. It's just one of those things that having him in the locker room has been a big help, especially to me in my rookie year."

That's saying a mouthful, especially since Washington has single-handedly sparked a running game that was stagnant during the first few weeks. Since Martin's season ended in Week 12 last year and his career was thrown into uncertainty, the Jets have been looking for someone to step up.

First, it was Cedric Houston, then Derrick Blaylock. The Jets, knowing Martin wouldn't be ready for this season, traded for Lee Suggs but voided the deal when he failed a physical. Kevan Barlow was the next to come in, but hasn't been as productive as New York hoped.

The answer has come in a small, shifty and powerful fourth-round draft pick from Florida State.

"That young guy, he's great," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "The thing about him, he's all about football. He's always here late studying, he's got all the moves and he's a quick guy. It's good for him - it's good for us."

The 5-foot-8, 202-pound Washington was initially considered little more than a change-of-pace back who could return kicks and punts, similar to how Tiki Barber was labeled early in his career. Washington is already turning into a lot more for the Jets.

He rushed for 101 yards against Jacksonville in Week 5, had 58 yards on 11 carries against Miami the following week and a career-high 129 yards - the most by a Jets rookie since Matt Snell had 180 in 1964 - and his first two NFL touchdowns in New York's victory over Detroit on Sunday.

"My job is to do whatever's needed: running the ball, making tackles on kickoffs and just improving each week," Washington said. "And if my name is called, just take advantage of the opportunity and give our team a chance to win."

He's certainly doing that. His 346 yards rushing are third among NFL rookies, behind only New England's Laurence Maroney (361) and Indianapolis' Joseph Addai (354). Not bad considering he was used mostly on kickoffs in the first two games.

Washington is an intriguing mix of Barry Sanders and Terrell Davis. He uses his shifty hips to throw off defenders and zips by them with terrific speed on some plays. And, despite his size, he's tough to tackle because of his strong upper body and powerful legs. Rarely does he go down on a first hit, and he keeps his legs churning.

"For me, the most impressive thing is his physicality," Pennington said after the Detroit game. "People are learning about his speed, but he's very physical between the tackles."

The Jets must have seen that when they made him the 117th pick in the draft, despite a generally unspectacular college career.

He rushed for 951 yards and seven touchdowns in nine games as a sophomore, but had just 660 yards and two TDs the next two seasons. Still, the 2004 Gator Bowl MVP became the only player under Bobby Bowden to score a touchdown five different ways, getting into the end zone last season on a run, reception, punt return, kickoff return and fumble recovery.

In maybe the surest sign that Washington has arrived as a big-time NFL player, fantasy football fanatics have been furiously clamoring to add him to their teams - a thought that amuses the rookie.

"Some of my friends are big into fantasy football, and I really didn't know too much about it until earlier this year," Washington said, again flashing that familiar smile. "It feels good. For those fantasy guys who go out there and play me, I guess it's good for them."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTA1MTAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets' Thomas emerges as LB

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Bryan Thomas won't encourage those who think he's the Jets' answer to Willie McGinest -- and not just because Thomas and the Jets play McGinest and his new team, the Browns, on Sunday.

"People are going to say what they say," Thomas said Wednesday. "I don't try to compare myself to anybody. I have to establish my own identity."

Thomas' identity for his first four Jets seasons was as a defensive end. Now he is emerging as a decent outside linebacker and nickel pass rusher in the Jets' evolving 3-4.

While he doesn't yet resemble McGinest in his Patriots prime, he's not as far off as you might think.

"I'm getting a lot more comfortable, because I'm getting a lot more experience, each and every week," Thomas said. "I'm playing some different roles, seeing different formations. I just have to adjust to it. Experience is important."

Thomas rarely comes off the field. Unofficially, his 441 defensive snaps trail only Jonathan Vilma's 469 among the Jets' front-seven players.

And he's making an impact. His 42 tackles top those Jets who play along the line, which he usually does. And coach Eric Mangini called his performance against Miami -- a career-high 11 tackles and several running plays blown up for losses -- "his best to date."

But a pass rush would be nice for the Jets, who still rank last in the NFL in sack rate. Detroit's Jon Kitna is the most-sacked quarterback in the league, but the Jets dropped him once. Up next is the Browns' Charlie Frye, tied for third with 21 sacks.

McGinest has always been a complete 3-4 'backer. He stops the run, breaks up passes and gets after the quarterback -- he has 96 career sacks, including his New England playoff games and two sacks this season, his 13th.

Thomas, by comparison, has 8.5 career sacks and just one this year. Some in the organization think he's become a solid pro but won't be special because that pass rush he displayed at Alabama-Birmingham has never materialized.

But don't give up on the BT Express yet. He has produced seven QB hits, a stat the NFL is tracking this season, to lead the Jets. His two fourth-quarter licks on Kitna produced incompletions.

"I try to go out and do the job required," Thomas said. "There are certain things you have to do to help out the pass rush. You can't expect to not stop the run and then have 1,000 sacks."

The Jets have yet to stop the run. They also haven't been rushing well out of their base -- ends Shaun Ellis (except for two sacks of Peyton Manning) and Kimo von Oelhoffen have been quiet.

As for the blitz, other than safety Kerry Rhodes' flurry in Games 2-3, it's been unproductive. And coordinator Bob Sutton throttles it down against veteran QBs with veteran receivers, such as the Lions, against whom he called a season-low five blitzes.

But Sutton could ratchet the blitz pressure back up against the inexperienced Frye. And Thomas may get a chance to do his best impersonation yet of the player he's not impersonating.

Linebacker Matt Chatham, a teammate of both, said each does it his way.

"Willie is such an elite player in the league," Chatham said. "But Bryan's growing. When you make your living with your hand on the ground, there's a transition. But I think Bryan's enjoying the position."

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTAzNjkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets blog

Musical comedy

October 26, 2006

Charlie Frye said his first season as the Browns' starting QB hasn't gone as planned. "But the city is a big Cleveland Browns fan -- we have lots of fans," Frye said. "Hopefully we can get this thing turned around for them."

It's probably not good that Frye hasn't heard from Drew Carey, one of Cleveland's foremost citizens and Browns fans. It wasn't even clear, on a conference call with Jets media, that Frye knew who Carey was.

Eric Mangini has heard of the comedian. The Jets coach had "Cleveland Rocks," theme song of "The Drew Carey Show," blasting at his players as they began practicing for the Browns.

Other selections from this week's playlist: "Bad to the Bone" and "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

-- Randy Lange

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTA0NjEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets notebook

Running men

Another manifestation of the Jets' effective ground game against Detroit: They put the shotgun away. After averaging 11 plays a game out of the 'gun in the first six games, they used it only twice versus the Lions.

"We were never in a lot of long-yardage situations," Chad Pennington, who has a 97.7 rating passing in the shotgun, said Wednesday. "That's the good thing we've tried to do every week: be versatile. Whatever's working, stick with it."

That could mean more running at Cleveland. The Jets' rushing offense has risen to 13th in the NFL, their highest ranking since finishing 2004 at No. 3.

Leon Washington, one of the reasons for that ranking, is one of three candidates for the FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week award. Fans can vote online at Fedexfootball.com until 6 p.m. today.

Riddle me this

The Jets may be turning to one of their recent linebacker signings to provide some help for their anemic pass rush.

Except that Ryan Riddle didn't line up at LB for the defense's last three plays vs. Detroit but as left end in the dime.

"I was preparing all week to be in there on defense at some level," Riddle said. "End is my natural position. I didn't play linebacker till last year when I was with the Raiders."

Riddle did well with his hand in the dirt at California, setting the Golden Bears' record with 14.5 sacks as a senior DE in 2004.

Briefs

Pennington was wearing a bandage on his right hand, which he said was protecting a "turf burn," which he got during one of his scrambles against the Lions. ... Center Trey Teague (ankle), who sat out the last three weeks of practice, and CB David Barrett (thigh), who missed last week, both were back for early drills Wednesday. Both are questionable for Cleveland. ... The Jets' injury report is at 17 players, two up from last week. Added to the list: DT Dewayne Robertson (hand), DE Bobby Hamilton (knee), CB Justin Miller (hip) and LB Brad Kassell (thigh), all probable and practicing.

-- Randy Lange

"I thought I had him (Mangini as his DC) for a minute," Crennel said. "But Belichick had a chance to talk to him last. Somebody once told me, 'If somebody can talk you into something, somebody can talk you out of something.' So Belichick talked better than I did."

So we have further evidence that Mumbles is a self-centered pos.

He tried to talk EM out of the NY AND Cleveland jobs.

He should go back to stealing money from trusting old men.

What a sack of stronzo

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2639109

New York Jets at Cleveland Browns

It's hard to believe the Jets are 4-3. If they win this game, they would be 5-3 heading into the bye week and a meeting with the Patriots after the bye. That's an amazing accomplishment for Eric Mangini, a young coach who truly isn't in over his head at this level. In fact, the Jets have been playing over their heads. Sure, the easy schedule has helped them, but they were supposed to be the easy win for the four teams they've beaten. Mangini's schemes have been sound, and he's been able to experiment with a lot of different roster combinations to get the team to this level. Conversely, Romeo Crennel is still trying to find the right combination in Cleveland. Cleveland fans aren't patient. But they are going to have to be patient with this Browns team. Quarterback Charlie Frye is a work in progress. The defense can't stop the run. This is the type of game the Browns need to win. If not, it's going to be a long, cold winter.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061026/APS/610261284

New York Jets (4-3) at Cleveland (1-5)

The surprising Jets might have a playoff shot because their schedule is soft - on paper. Three reasons for their revival: quarterback Chad Pennington's return to health; the running of rookie Leon Washington; and the very solid work of 35-year-old Eric Mangini, youngest head coach in the NFL.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6095238

Jets at Browns: During the Browns' bye week, Romeo Crennel vowed to work with embattled offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon and fix the problems in the Browns offense. The results: seven points, 10 first downs, and a 1-of-11 performance on third downs. "Once Romeo Crennel decided against enacting any serious change during the bye week, it was obvious the behind-the-scenes attention he turned on game-planning and play-calling would amount to mortician's work," Bud Shaw wrote in the Cleveland Plain Dealer one day before Carthon got his pink slip. New coordinator Maurice Chevalier is planning major changes. "Oooh la la, ze offense, she is tres moche! Tank heaven for leetle quarterbacks," Chevalier said.

(Actually, Jeff Davidson will act as the Browns offensive coordinator. Chevalier remains dead.)

Maybe Carthon should have taken some advice from Eric Mangini, a more successful offshoot of the Parcells/Belichick coaching tree. Mangini, eager to embrace new technology, encourages players to download game film into their MP3 players. After all, nothing suggests serious film analysis like a two-inch wide screen. Say, is that Kellen Winslow II or a ketchup smear?

We smell upset this week. But it's only because we heard a rumor that Chad Pennington deleted all of his footage of the Browns blitz packages so he could download two episodes of Family Guy and the latest My Chemical Romance album.

Archived