Preseason NIT begins tomorrow

Jetsfan80

College basketball has begun, and tomorrow begins its most prestigious preseason tournament, the Preseason NIT. Here are the teams involved and the regions:

SOUTH: Charlotte, NC

UNC

Sacred Heart

--November 14th + 15th--

Iona

Winthrop

EAST: Nashville, TN

Tennessee

Fordham

-- November 13th + 14th --

UNCW

Belmont

MIDWEST: Indianapolis, IN

Indiana

Lafayette

-- November 13th + 14th --

Notre Dame

Butler

WEST: Spokane, WA

Gonzaga

Rice

-- November 14th + 15th --

Baylor

Colorado St.

The winners in each region will meet in Madison Square Garden for the Semifinals and Finals, taking place on November 22nd and 24th, respectively.

SOUTH: Charlotte, NC

UNC over Iona

EAST: Nashville, TN

Fordham over UNCW

MIDWEST: Indianapolis, IN

Indiana over Notre Dame

WEST: Spokane, WA

Colorado St. over Gonzaga

UNC wins the whole she-bang.

NOW... more important than all this is the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands this weekend...

Sacred Heart played us well Tuesday, and Winthrop gave us a scare tonight. Goes to show how competitive the college basketball season is going to be, no matter who you play.

I will say this about our team....after this year Hansbrough and Wright are outta here.

Preseason NIT Final 4: UNC vs. Gonzaga, Tennessee vs. Butler.

My UNCW Seahawks had to commit 32 turnovers and STILL kept the Regional final in Nashville at a reasonable deficit until the wheels fell off late in the game. The turning point was when UNCW PG Temi Soyebo picked up his 4th foul with about 18:30 left to play (we outscored UT 53-36 when Soyebo was in the game; were outscored 51-22 when he wasn't).

The Butler Bulldogs looks like they will will wreak havoc on teams throughout nonconference play and be the "bullies" of the Horizon League. I like their chances against the young, undersized Volunteers. Bruce Pearl will also stick out like a sore thumb in Madison Square Garden with his orange suspenders.

The UNC-Gonzaga game is where it gets interesting. I don't know how to call this either way; UNC still looks like a very young team under Roy Williams, and their inexperience showed against an up and coming Winthrop Eagles program (who, by the way, almost upset Tennessee as a 15-seed in the NCAA Tourney last year if not for a buzzer beater by Chris Lofton). UNC should still win on talent alone against a Gonzaga team looking for an identity without Adam Morrison.

UNC over Butler in the championship game.

Archived