For 124: Nuge fluff article

Sperm Edwards

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=20061128211059380000101-a&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.american-football.nfl.news&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Jets' Nugent kicks away questions about his abilities

Nov 28, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -Mike Nugent measured his steps and gazed at his target 54 yards away. He knew he was going to make the field goal.

The New York Jets' second-year kicker high-fived holder Ben Graham as the ball sailed through the uprights easily for a career-long field goal, just as he imagined seconds earlier.

"If you don't have confidence in yourself, you might as well not even be out on the field," the soft-spoken and mild-mannered Nugent said. "If you're the only one in the whole stadium that has confidence in yourself, well, that's the most you need on the field to do your job."

Nugent tied a career high with four field goals in the Jets' 26-11 win over Houston on Sunday and made a big statement with his 54-yarder that was plenty long and 1 yard shy of the team record.

"It was all that turkey," Graham jokingly shouted in his Australian accent as he strolled past Nugent's crowded locker Monday.

"Mike really nailed it," coach Eric Mangini added. "Mike is the type of guy that everybody cheers for because of the way he works, the way he cares. He's easy to root for. Obviously, everybody wants three points, but aside from that, it's just good to see him hit that type of field goal."

Questions about Nugent's leg strength started to creep in after he struggled to reach the end zone on kickoffs. He was also 0-for-3 on field goals of 50 or more yards in his young career.

But similar to a relief pitcher in baseball, Nugent has learned to have a short memory, never allowing one bad kick to linger. He also refuses to let doubts about his abilities affect him.

"If you're doing your job on the field, then you're going to get to keep doing what you do, do what you do best and what you love," he said.

With his small stature - he's 5-foot-9 and 182 pounds - and boyish looks, Nugent can easily be mistaken for a reporter or equipment manager in the Jets' locker room. On the field, the Centerville, Ohio, native has stood tall for years.

Nugent set or tied 22 school records at Ohio State, where he established a reputation for having a powerful and accurate leg. Those credentials made him one of the highest-drafted kickers in the last 23 years when the Jets took him in the second round, 47th overall, in 2005.

Big things were obviously expected, but his NFL career got off to a dubious start. Nugent's first field-goal attempt was blocked in the opener against Kansas City, but he rebounded to have a decent rookie season. He made 22 of 28 field goals, including a 49-yarder in the season finale against Buffalo.

Nugent then had a horrific opening game this season in a 23-16 win at Tennessee, missing two of his three field-goal attempts and an extra point.

"Even though I had that Tennessee game, I'm glad we got the win, and my teammates are so supportive, it's unbelievable," Nugent said.

Until Sunday, Nugent had missed his only try from 50 this season - a 52-yarder at windy Cleveland four weeks ago. He was 0-for-3 in his career from 50-plus yards when Mangini and special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff let Nugent try one Sunday.

"The warmups went really well, so I was thinking, `Just hit it like I did during warmups,"' Nugent recalled. "I knew I had to do my job."

Besides the 54-yarder, Nugent made kicks of 23, 34 and 40 yards Sunday. He also booted three kickoffs into the end zone on a day when the wind wasn't much of a factor.

Nugent also showed some toughness, making an open-field tackle on Dexter Wynn during a kickoff return.

"It wasn't just a tackle, it was a great hit, too," special teams ace Brad Smith said. "He did a great job of doing his job all day long."

Nugent hasn't had many opportunities to make his mark in games, converting 12 of 15 attempts, tied for the least kicks in the NFL.

"I'd say that's probably the main reason it might be kind of a tough thing, because you can kick one field goal and then maybe none for the next two games," he said. "But when you get called upon, that's the time you have to perform at your best."

The Jets had two opportunities to try for 50-yard field goals against Chicago two weeks ago, but Mangini decided instead to punt. New York was shut out 10-0, and many wondered if the coach's confidence in Nugent had been shaken.

"I think once you get one on the board, it always helps to make the next decision," Mangini said. "But it will still be week to week. ... It ties into the game day as well as him being able to hit that, which I think helps his argument."

Archived