Early non Jets overreaction buzz

On 5/24/2024 at 3:55 PM, bitonti said:

The problem with Caleb is he doesn't work within a system 

all that off schedule stuff is awesome but sooner or later hes gotta make a quick read in 2 seconds or the league will eat him up 

Yep, Off platform domination ain’t what it use to be. 

• Upvote 2

all that off schedule stuff is awesome but sooner or later hes gotta make a quick read in 2 seconds or the league will eat him up 

Yup. Off platform is not a recipe for success. Its just a nice tool to have in the toolbag but also a completely unnecessary one.

Perfect post.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It would be extremely entertaining to see the QB shuffle this offseason absolutely meltdown starting with Pickett beating out Hurts in PHI, followed by Fields and Wilson stinking it up in PIT after trading away Pickett, Williams busting in CHI and Peyton having to lose games with Zach Wilson as his best choice at QB. I don't know that Pickett takes the job from Hurts, but all the rest of that is absolutely within the realm of possibility.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, rex-n-effect said:

It would be extremely entertaining to see the QB shuffle this offseason absolutely meltdown starting with Pickett beating out Hurts in PHI, followed by Fields and Wilson stinking it up in PIT after trading away Pickett, Williams busting in CHI and Peyton having to lose games with Zach Wilson as his best choice at QB. I don't know that Pickett takes the job from Hurts, but all the rest of that is absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Hurts could play blindfolded and be waaay better then pickett.

Bo Nix and Jayden daniels will be very good immediately.

Drake Maye will be a stud but it will take a bit.

On 5/24/2024 at 11:53 AM, bicketybam said:

I'm pretty sure Williams and Hackenberg had different levels of success in college.

One was playing with 4 and 5 stars while the other was playing with the scraps left after the horrific Sandusky scandal. 

They both suck. 

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

Counterpoint: Williams had shown the ability to play on-schedule in prior seasons, but went to hell this year knowing every USC score was going to end up 53-50. He was shooting threes off the opening tip.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hurts could play blindfolded and be waaay better then pickett.

Bo Nix and Jayden daniels will be very good immediately.

Drake Maye will be a stud but it will take a bit.

Hot take - I don't think Hurts is actually that great as a true QB. His amazing OL, rushing ability, and running in an offense with dominant AJB and Smith making plays on one-read designs mask the fact that he's not an especially adept decision maker. The eagles were exposed at times last season for this reason, although it was also often on their poor defense.

It'll be interesting to see if their OL continues to provide the dominance he has gotten from them. Saquon will also be a big help, so I'm not expecting regression from Hurts, but I think that's why pickett can "look" better at times without pads. As a whole package Hurts is wayyyyy better. 

Also, I think I agree about Daniels and Maye. Not so sure about Nix, but Payton is probably the ideal scenario for him. The rest of that offense is not, though.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

One was playing with 4 and 5 stars while the other was playing with the scraps left after the horrific Sandusky scandal. 

They both suck. 

I'm a PSU fan who watched almost every snap of Hack's college career. 

I called him a future bust on draft night. 

Comparing him to Caleb Williams is some wild sh*t, even for this goofy place

• Upvote 4

Counterpoint: Williams had shown the ability to play on-schedule in prior seasons, but went to hell this year knowing every USC score was going to end up 53-50. He was shooting threes off the opening tip.
I did not realize that
.. he played from the pocket the prior two seasons ? ... I don't watch a ton of college ball ... Honestly usually only towards the end of each season.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Hot take - I don't think Hurts is actually that great as a true QB. His amazing OL, rushing ability, and running in an offense with dominant AJB and Smith making plays on one-read designs mask the fact that he's not an especially adept decision maker. The eagles were exposed at times last season for this reason, although it was also often on their poor defense.

It'll be interesting to see if their OL continues to provide the dominance he has gotten from them. Saquon will also be a big help, so I'm not expecting regression from Hurts, but I think that's why pickett can "look" better at times without pads. As a whole package Hurts is wayyyyy better. 

Also, I think I agree about Daniels and Maye. Not so sure about Nix, but Payton is probably the ideal scenario for him. The rest of that offense is not, though.

Payton is the reason I am bullish on bo nix.  I think nix or daniels will win rookie of the year.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That is the exact same thing as Darnold there.

The year before his draft year he looked like a totally pro ready QB, did all the things a good pro would do.   I loved the guy as a prospect, then in his draft year he did what you just said, he had to try and do everything an thus started turning the ball over and some of that carried over into the pros when he went to a stink fest jets team with no other weapons.

If a team tries to force discipline and a system on williams he will fail.   Their coach has to trust this guys off plan plans and live with the errors early in his career.

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That is the exact same thing as Darnold there.

The year before his draft year he looked like a totally pro ready QB, did all the things a good pro would do.   I loved the guy as a prospect, then in his draft year he did what you just said, he had to try and do everything an thus started turning the ball over and some of that carried over into the pros when he went to a stink fest jets team with no other weapons.

If a team tries to force discipline and a system on williams he will fail.   Their coach has to trust this guys off plan plans and live with the errors early in his career.

I don't think this is strictly true. If williams had no shot at becoming an adequate NFL processor, he wouldn't have been touted as the clear top pick. NFL scouts aren't all more blind than a bunch of armchair GMs here lol, and Williams did show this ability in college enough to entice. 

Rather, I think Williams is vulnerable to the same unpredictable issue most every college QB is - it's impossible to tell if he will be able to read and process at an NFL level until we actually see it. Scouts want to see a guy who can do this at the college level, but the reason the Daniels and Williams go top is because they can do EVERYTHING ELSE great, and therefore have the most upside if they do make it. A player's landing spot and coaching definitely play a major role too, but ultimately guys are made or broken by this very unpredictable mental aspect. 

Even when a guy like Darnold or Nix is supposed to be a great field reader coming out of college, sometimes it just doesn't translate to NFL speed. Other times, a guy like Dak Prescott turns out to have "it" even if he wasn't a super enticing prospect otherwise (and please don't argue these specific guys - there's tons of examples one way or the other, I'm just giving these guys as relevant ones).

Of course, very rare QBs come in with this ability as predicted (Luck) or develop it over time (Allen). But most guys show it or fail it pretty quickly. Personally I think Caleb has as good a shot as any recent prospect, but we'll find out soon haha

• Upvote 1

Nico Collins gets a huge contract for being a great find Wr for houston.

Joe 'fraud' Douglas selects elijah moore  55 picks higher.

FRAUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDENMEISTER!   FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is true but once a player learns this habit of school yard ball off schedule it's not automatic that he's going to snap out of it 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nico Collins gets a huge contract for being a great find Wr for houston.

Joe 'fraud' Douglas selects elijah moore  55 picks higher.

FRAUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDENMEISTER!   FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!

All 32 teams selected players before Nico Collins, are they all frauds?

Change your handle to Clownfish, there is no bigger one on this board.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetsRay said:

All 32 teams selected players before Nico Collins, are they all frauds?

Change your handle to Clownfish, there is no bigger one on this board.

The NY Jets have not made the playoffs in 13 years.   2 of the last 17 years.

Teams consistently are finding good to great players in mid rounds that really help their teams.

The jets GMs almost NEVER do so.

If you have epic fails early in the draft like say a Becton or a Zach Wilson you have to find gems elsewhere to insulate agaisnt the fails (See Purdy and Trey Lance situation.)

The true clowns on this site are the rainbow unicorn sunshine squad that think every move an epic fail team have made in the last 15 years is awesome sauce.

% correct about things on this site?  Clown doomsayers 95%, sunshine squad clowns 5%

In this league and in this world you EARN trust and optimism and you EARN scorn and distrust. 

The sunshine squad just hands out praise and credit and trust, 13 years......

Houston was total dog sh*t about 2 years ago,, as of now their franchise has a better out look than the jets going forward.

TALLY HO!   Gooooooooo Jets!