JETS ARTICLES SAT 12/30

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1167456946175360.xml&coll=1

Jets' Dyson is out with knee injury

Saturday, December 30, 2006

BY ELI GELMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Drew Coleman isn't sure where he'd be this season without Andre Dyson.

The Jets rookie cornerback, a sixth-round pick, badgered Dyson with questions about playing the position and has improved greatly since training camp.

"He's been a key to my success and me knowing how to play certain people and techniques and little fundamental things," said Coleman, who has played in every game, starting four at right corner. "I always asked him and he always wanted to help me."

Coleman is not alone. The Jets don't know where they would be without Dyson -- but will soon find out. The veteran cornerback, who has started all 15 games on the left side, will not play in tomorrow's regular-season finale against the Oakland Raiders, when the Jets hope to clinch a playoff berth.

Dyson injured his right knee against the Dolphins Monday, has been wearing a brace on the knee and has not practiced this week. He did some jogging and backpedaling on his own during the media access to practice yesterday. Dyson is listed as questionable and his status beyond tomorrow's game is unknown. Veteran David Barrett or Justin Miller are expected to step in.

"When he's out there you know you can count on him," safety Erik Coleman said. "He's a great player and a great teammate to have. He's a very smart player, gives you tips in the huddle and makes great plays.

"Everybody has to step their game up. I have to be more of a leader and (safety) Kerry (Rhodes) has to be more of a leader and we just have to try to pick up the slack because (Dyson's) such a great presence out there."

The 27-year-old Dyson was signed as a free agent in the off-season and has proven to be an impact player, collecting 62 tackles, four interceptions and eight passes defensed while mentoring the younger players. Miller, Barrett, Coleman and Hank Poteat (the last five games) have started on the right side.

"He doesn't say much but when you go back and watch the film, he's taking away the teams' best receivers. He's coming up with the big interceptions quietly," safety Erik Coleman said. "I think you could (take him for granted). It could be easy if you didn't pay attention."

Miller has had an up-and-down season at cornerback. Barrett, who lost the starting spot to Miller at the beginning of the season, finally feels 100 percent after battling injuries over the past year. He says he's up for the task if he gets the call to replace Dyson.

"I've been doing it since who knows when, so it's second nature," said Barrett, a seventh-year pro. "It's not all about replacing him. It's more of everybody just doing their job."

While Dyson hasn't been able to practice, he has still taken part in meetings and given pointers to teammates.

"We still ask him every question," Drew Coleman said. "If we're having trouble with certain schemes we're playing, and even though he hasn't been getting the reps he usually gets, we'll (say), 'Andre what are you thinking?'"

"He'll voice his opinion and say what he thinks is better and how we played in the past. Nine times out of 10, his way is a lot better because he's been there."

Barrett believes he and Dyson are similar cornerbacks.

"He's more like me. Me and him are kind of alike," Barrett said.

The Jets can only hope for that to be true.

Notes: The Jets will hold their annual coat drive at tomorrow's game and ask fans to bring new or gently worn coats to the game. They'll be collected at all gates upon entering the stadium. ... Raiders WR Randy Moss (ankle) was downgraded to doubtful and will not play....

Jets coach Eric Mangini continued his self-deprecating humor yesterday, poking fun at his physique. Asked if he has ever had to run laps as he has made some of his players, Mangini said, "I need to run laps. A lot of them. That's an off-season goal. But (GM) Mike (Tannenbaum) has not made me run or (owner) Woody (Johnson), not yet."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/oakland_raiders/16350232.htm?source=rss&channel=mercurynews_oakland_raiders

Mangini was once courted by Raiders

By Steve Corkran

MediaNews

On Sunday, New York Jets Coach Eric Mangini and Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan will be on opposite sidelines for the second time since Ryan left the New England Patriots in 2004.

Their roles could have been reversed were it not for a decision Mangini made after the 2003 season. He spurned then-Raiders Coach Norv Turner's offer to become his defensive coordinator only days before the Raiders settled on Ryan.

``I spoke to Mr. Davis (Al, managing general partner) over the phone,'' Mangini said in a conference call with Bay Area reporters. ``He is a very persuasive man.''

Yet, Davis couldn't persuade Mangini to leave behind his East Coast roots and the security of coaching under Patriots Coach Bill Belichick. Davis then set his sights upon Ryan.

The Patriots responded to the Raiders' overture by promoting Mangini from defensive-backs coach to defensive coordinator. He joined the Jets after last season and has his team one victory away from a playoff berth.

``It was an excellent opportunity,'' Mangini said of his brush with the Raiders. ``It just wasn't the right time for myself and my family, so we ended up staying in New England.''

Mangini began his NFL coaching career as a coach's assistant under Belichick in 1995. He was an offensive assistant/quality control coach for the Baltimore Ravens in 1996. He rejoined Belichick with the Jets in 1997 as a defensive assistant/quality control coach.

Mangini followed Belichick to the Patriots in 2000 and spent four seasons as the defensive-backs coach.

Mangini wasn't the only one approached by the Raiders that year. They were denied permission by the Ravens to speak with defensive-line coach Rex Ryan, and former Arizona Cardinals head coach Dave McGinnis signed with the Tennessee Titans soon after he spoke with the Raiders.

• A quick scan of the Jets defense reveals a distinct Raiders flavor. Outside linebacker Eric Barton and his backup, Cody Spencer, were drafted by the Raiders. Backup defensive linemen Bobby Hamilton and Rashad Moore also spent time with the Raiders, either as regulars or in training camp.

Barton is second on the Jets with 97 tackles, and has 3 1/2 sacks. He spent his first five seasons with the Raiders before signing with the Jets in 2004.

• Running back Justin Fargas leads the Raiders in rushing with 580 yards. His total is the fourth-lowest team-high total in Raiders history. Amos Zereoue (425, 2004), Wayne Crow (490, `61) and Clem Daniels (575, `67) are the only players who finished with a lower total. Crow and Daniels amassed their totals in 14-game seasons.

Fargas could pass four players by rushing for 29 yards against the Jets on Sunday.

• Quarterback Aaron Brooks is expected to make his eighth start Sunday. Shell said Friday that Brooks is fine and hasn't suffered any setbacks from the stiff neck that bothered him last week.

• The Raiders placed wide receiver Jerry Porter (hip) and running back LaMont Jordan (knee) on the injured-reserve list Friday. They signed tight end Derek Miller and safety Hiram Eugene from the practice squad to fill the vacancies on the 53-man roster.

http://www.nysportsday.com/news/jets/1167476989.php

Mangini Ready

by Brian Bohl

December 30, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, NY - Four years represents almost a full roster turnover in the fast-changing NFL world, but if the Jets needed any extra motivation to beat the Oakland Raiders this Sunday, they can ask holdovers like Chad Pennington and Laveranues Coles what it felt like when the silver and black ended their playoff drives in consecutive years for the 2001 and 2002 seasons.

The current Jets can get their 10th win and lock up a wildcard spot with a victory over the 2-13 Raiders this Sunday at Giants Stadium. With the post-season hanging in the balance, coach Eric Mangini did not have to go show the film of former MVP Rich Gannon beating Gang Green in the first round in Jan. 2002 and in the Divisional round in Jan. 2003.

Not that the film would make much of a difference, with the majority of the team different from the unit that captured the 2002 AFC East title. Mangini was the Patriots’ defensive backs coach that year, and saw his current employers beat out New England for the division title on the final game of the regular season with a win over Green Bay.

“The Jets were playing Green Bay, and they were the 4:00 game. I'm sure we watched that,” Mangini said about his recollections of the day. “It got pretty ugly early. I remember going home and thinking ‘it's not going to work out the way we hoped.’ I think it was a three way tie. If the Jets had lost, New England would have won the division. But it ended up the Jets won the division.”

New England clinched this season’s division, but Mangini can get his current team into the post-season in his rookie year as the head coach. Instead of playing for the Super Bowl, the only prize the Raiders have in their immediate future in the possible first overall draft pick.

Compounding Oakland’s problems will be injuries to the few available play-makers. Both receivers Jerry Porter and Randy Moss will be held out due to injuries, and quarterback Aaron Brooks might not also suit up.

The Jets are far less banged up, but starting cornerback Andre Dyson will not play with a knee injury. Running back Cedric Houston also could miss the regular season finale after missing practice the past three days because of a calf injury, though he will try to give it a go Sunday after missing last week’s victory over the Dolphins.

Even if Houston can play, rookie Leon Washington is steadily working his way towards being a feature back. Splitting time with Kevan Barlow in Miami on Monday, Washington rushed for 26 yards on six carries but caught four passes for 108 yards, including a 64 yard screen pass that set up the game-winning field goal.

“Leon is the type of back that is excellent in space, and any time you can get him the ball one on one in space, he's got enough moves to do something with it after that,” Pennington said. “He's just done an excellent job of not getting tackled by the first defender. Any time he has the ball in his hands, once he's in space, it takes the whole team gang tackling him to get him down.”

His two 100-yard rushing games this season shows Washington’s potential to play in all circumstances instead of being just a third-down back, which Mangini cited as a testament to his ability to work on all facets of the position in practice. The coach singled out the improved blocking among Washington’s most improved abilities.

“Leon has done a very good job with the roles we've asked him to play,” Mangini said. “What I like about Leon is his development. The things that he consistently focuses on he's consistently gotten better at and that's how he's approached the whole season.

“I was watching practice yesterday with the offense and noticing how much progress he's made in terms of his base [when blocking], the way that his hands come up and strike the defender,” Mangini said. “He has a much more compact, powerful punch. Those things are so important, especially if you're giving away size or weight or any of those issues. Technique becomes the core factor in success or failure and he's made strides in those areas.”

On the season, Washington compiled 23 catches for 253 receiving yards, though 15 of those catches came in the last five games, something the fourth-round pick said is a testament to that work in practice and meetings with his positional coaches.

“I attribute a lot of that to my running backs coach Jimmy Raye and Coach Mangini. They do a great job of preparing us to play throughout the year,” Washington said. “It started way back in training camp. That’s definitely helped me out in my game, helped me become better as a receiver and also catching punts. Staying on top of me has definitely brought the best out of me.”

Despite possibly finishing with 14 loses under coach Art Shell, the Raiders actually boast the NFL’s top-rated pass defense, making Washington’s involvement in the offense even more important regardless of Houston’s status. Oakland surrenders an average of just 150.9 yards per game under defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who has done a good job of impersonating his father—former Super Bowl-winning coordinator Buddy Ryan.

“In my experience with Rob Ryan, he's an outstanding coach,” Mangini said. “He's extremely innovative. He's very good at identifying tendencies and attacking those tendencies. It's really a combination of Rob, the defensive staff and the way that the players have responded to that and consistently played at a high level.

“His dad was outstanding at attacking weaknesses. They had BTF, blitz the formation, and AFC's, automatic fronts and coverages. They would put together a book each week defensively with the Bears and the Eagles and the Cardinals when Rob was on the staff with his dad, and those were all built on [those] things.”

Notes: Mangini praised Justin McCareins in his remarks to the media Friday. The unsolicited plug is not very common from the coach, who said the receiver’s contributions to the special teams unit was instrumental in allowing the Jets to control their own playoff destiny with a win on Sunday… Newsday reported late Friday night the league fined Dolphins’ linebacker Zach Thomas $7,500 for his hit on Coles. The wide out was drilled during the head-on-head collision that occurred in the second quarter. Coles returned to the game and is expected to play against Oakland, though he is still listed as questionable on the injury report…Fans going to Giants Stadium Sunday are encouraged to participate in the annual coat drive. New or gently used coats will be collected at all gates for those wishing to participate.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12302006/sports/jets/silver__bleak_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

SILVER & BLEAK

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 30, 2006 -- If you're looking for reasons the Jets will beat the Raiders in tomorrow's must-win regular-season finale at Giants Stadium, look no further than the following two areas:

* Discipline.

* Special teams.

The Jets are one of the most disciplined teams in the NFL; the Raiders are one of the most undisciplined.

The Jets have one of the soundest, most productive special teams groups in the league; the Raiders, outside of a strong kickoff return game, are very weak on special teams.

The Jets have committed 67 penalties for 529 yards in losses, the third fewest amount of penalties in the NFL. Take away the seven-penalty game for 55 yards against the Vikings two games ago, and the Jets have committed only 21 penalties for losses of 145 yards through the last nine games.

The Raiders have been called for 105 penalties and 815 yards in losses. Only five teams in the league have committed more penalties.

The Jets have turned the ball over 25 times, nine of which have come on lost fumbles. Only six teams have lost fewer fumbles.

The Raiders have an NFL-high 43 turnovers, including 20 lost fumbles, also most in the league.

The Jets are fourth in the NFL in kickoff return average with a 24.1-yard team average, but their top returner, Justin Miller, leads the league with a 28.6-yard average and two TDs.

The Raiders are actually one of the teams ahead of the Jets in team kickoff return average at 25.0. Their top returner, Chris Carr, averages 25.8 yards per return. But the Raiders are abysmal in kickoff and punt return coverage, yielding a robust 28.8 yards per return to opponents on kickoff returns and 12.9 yards on punt returns.

That's not a good fit for the Raiders against the Jets, whose coach, Eric Mangini, routinely has players run punishment laps when mental errors are committed in practice.

"Whenever you have a penalty or a turnover, a lot of those are concentration issues and they don't just affect you, they affect the whole group,'' Mangini said, referring to his approach to disciplined play. "Any time you do have those things happen, you're penalized and it's just reinforcing that fact as it happens.

"Whether it happens in a [mini-camp] or whether it happens in training camp, you're not losing field position at that point, but the reality is when that does happen in the game, it's going to happen. It just reinforces the cause and effect of those actions."

Raiders coach Art Shell acknowledged the Jets' strengths as potentially difficult for his team to deal with.

"It's not going to be an easy job," Shell said. "They are well-coached, they have big playmakers and their defense doesn't make many mistakes.

"You're going to have to beat them. They don't beat themselves. You have to find a way to beat them, because they don't make many mistakes."'

Mangini, of course, talked up the Raiders, even their weaknesses.

"Art is moving the team in that direction [more discipline] quite substantially,'' Mangini said.

Chad Pennington insisted that, despite the damning numbers that indicate how bad the Raiders are, the Jets can't afford to relax tomorrow.

"We've had experiences this year where everyone thought we were going to win and we didn't," Pennington said. "So we have to make sure that we do everything in our power to get ready."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12302006/sports/jets/mccareins_selflessness_a_big_help_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

MCCAREINS' SELFLESSNESS A BIG HELP

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 30, 2006 -- Justin McCareins is en route to having his fewest number of receptions in a season since he started playing regularly in the NFL four seasons ago.

Yet McCareins, who lost his starting job to Jerricho Cotchery in training camp, has pressed on and been a key role player for the Jets this season.

He enters tomorrow's game against the Raiders with 18 catches and a gaudy 17.8-yard average.

"A player to me who has really been impressive, particularly over the last month, is Justin McCareins,'' Mangini said. "His willingness to participate on special teams and then not only participate, but go in and be an impact player there and the big plays that he's made for us throughout the course of the season and especially of late, are impressive."

It appears CB Andre Dyson won't play tomorrow because of the right knee injury he sustained Monday night in Miami. Dyson has been very limited in practice all week. He'll likely be replaced by David Barrett in the starting lineup. Though he's listed as questionable, S Kerry Rhodes looks as if he'll start tomorrow. Same for WR Laveranues Coles.

The Jets are conducting a coat drive at tomorrow's game, asking fans to bring any "new or gently-used'' coats to any gate at Giants Stadium.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets305034285dec30,0,5561502.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Chad gets hang of it

Start vs. Raiders will give Pennington his first full season at QB

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

December 30, 2006

Chad Pennington's career has been defined by injuries, though in the beginning they weren't all his.

A Jets staffer recalled Friday the pregame warm-up in Oakland as the Jets prepared to face the Raiders on Dec. 10, 2000. One of the lunatics who inhabit the Black Hole was growling at quarterbacks Vinny Testaverde and Ray Lucas as they loosened their arms.

"Testaverde, you're going down! Lucas, you're going down!" he yelled. "Pennington, you're gonna play today!"

Sure enough, the first two quarterbacks on the depth chart were knocked out of the contest and Pennington, the rookie third-stringer, took his first NFL snaps. He even managed a touchdown pass to Wayne Chrebet in the final minute to avoid a shutout in a 31-7 loss.

Since then, one injury or another always has kept Pennington from completing a full 16-game schedule. Until now.

If he can emerge from Sunday's game against the Raiders unscathed, Pennington not only will finish what he has started for the first time in his career, he'll also be the first Jet to be the primary quarterback in every regular-season game since Boomer Esiason in 1993. (Testaverde started all 16 games in 2000 but played only one snap before injuring his shoulder against the Steelers in Week 6.)

Though he has endured an up-and-down season statistically and grappled with issues such as the health of his father, who had a heart attack during training camp, Pennington has been in the middle of the Jets' huddle for every significant snap this year.

Justin McCareins, who has had a quiet year but has emerged as a strong third receiver in recent weeks, said he admires Pennington's ability to block out the distracting noise that has accompanied his career.

"It's a very tough position," he said. "Just being the quarterback for the New York Jets, there are going to be a lot of opinions on him and they are all going to be made public. He's very mentally tough, in addition to all his other attributes."

Pennington's Sweet 16th could become even more special if he is able to complete the turnaround from a 4-12 season in 2005 - a year in which he was largely absent after a second shoulder surgery - to an AFC wild card with a win over the Raiders.

But this won't be a Win One for Chad feel-good festival Sunday. While many acknowledge Pennington's potential accomplishment, there are plenty of other reasons to win. For some, that's as close as the mirror.

"I'm motivated for myself, to be honest," said left guard Pete Kendall, one of the key pieces in the protection that has helped keep Pennington healthy this year. "Obviously, I'm aware of what it would mean for Chad to start and finish 16 games and to take a team that was 4-12 to 10-6 and into the playoffs, but I'll settle on satisfying 66."

Notes & quotes: After going 4-12 in his rookie season, safety Kerry Rhodes said he wondered if his whole career would be like that miserable year. "You think about it sometimes. Coming here, I thought the opposite. I thought it was going to be bigger things. It just shows you anything can happen," he said ... CB Andre Dyson (knee), who has been severely limited in practice this week, spent the early part of Friday's workout running 20-yard sprints by himself ... The Jets will hold their annual coat drive during Sunday's game and are encouraging fans to donate new or gently used coats at the gates when entering the stadium ... Raiders WR Randy Moss was downgraded to doubtful (knee) ... Dolphins LB Zach Thomas was fined $7,500 for his chin-splitting hit on Laveranues Coles on Monday night.

Sunday

Raiders at Jets

1 p.m. TV: Ch.2

Radio: WEPN (1050), WABC (770) WRCN (103.9)

Ironmen in green

Chad Pennington likely will play his 16th game of the season at quarterback Sunday, a milestone for him and one which has become rare in recent Jets history. A list of Jets quarterbacks who have played in every game of the season:

Al Dorow* 1960, 61

Joe Namath* 1966, 67, 68, 69, 74, 75

Matt Robinson* 1978

Richard Todd 1980, 81, 83

Ken O'Brien 1985, 90, 91

Boomer Esiason 1993

Vinny Testaverde** 2000

* Completed a 14-game regular season

** Started all 16 games but played only one snap in one game

Here's how ...The Jets can gain a playoff berth with:

A win or tie Sunday.

Or a loss or tie by Cincinnati and Jacksonville.

Or a Cincinnati loss or tie and a Tennessee win.

Or losses by Denver and Jacksonville.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/484313p-407757c.html

Eric takes aim at Pat pal

Buddy can bounce Jets

BY OHM YOUNGMISUK

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tomorrow certainly will not be the first time Eric Mangini has tried his hardest to beat Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

Before Ryan joined the Raiders in 2004, he was the linebackers coach in New England, where he became fast friends with Mangini, then the defensive backs coach.

The two worked together from 2000-03 and used to compete against one another in everything from pick-up basketball games to running routes against one another in practice or before games for fun.

The Patriots used to watch video of the two battling each other whenever they needed a good laugh.

"A bunch of seals bouncing around," was how former Patriot and current Jets linebacker Matt Chatham described the competitions between Mangini and Ryan. "Just a couple of sloppy guys just pounding into each other. They would run one-on-one routes on each other in pregame and we would get our video guy (to tape) them.

"The coaches would have lunch-break basketball games. ... There aren't any athletes in the group, but it was some comedy," Chatham added. "(But) those guys (Mangini and Ryan) were at the forefront."

Tomorrow, Mangini hopes to get the best of Ryan with the stakes a bit higher than their hoops clashes. If Mangini solves Ryan's defense and beats the Raiders, the Jets go to the playoffs. If Ryan's defense - ranked fourth in the NFL - stymies Chad Pennington and company and the Jets don't get the help they need from others in the AFC hunt, Mangini will have an entire offseason to ponder how he came so close to making the postseason.

Mangini's Jets, however, have had success this season against top-10 caliber defenses.

The Jets are 4-3 against defenses that currently rank in the top 10. Their wins came against Miami (twice), New England and Minnesota. The losses were to Jacksonville, Chicago and New England.

Now come the Raiders, who have one of the better secondaries in the league, led by cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's eight interceptions.

"They are No. 1 now in passing defense," Mangini said. "It's not like they're just dominant in one area. They've been very effective in a lot of areas: third down, red zone. Rob will tell you about it, too, when you talk to him."

Mangini said he never was able to interview Ryan for his defensive coordinator position when he became Jets coach earlier this year because Ryan was under contract.

So now, Mangini finds himself having to beat Ryan again to make the playoffs.

"Those guys are real good buddies," Chatham said. "They will be at each other's throats."

ZACH SMACKED BACK: Miami linebacker Zach Thomas was fined $7,500 for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Laveranues Coles on Monday. Coles was woozy and suffered a gash on his chin. "I have more respect for that guy than any player around," Thomas said. "So I'm not going to take a cheap shot. But when I'm running full speed, how can you slow yourself down? If you try to arm tackle and make sure you don't get a fine, and he catches the ball and he could make you miss. ... He makes 'SportsCenter.'"

Originally published on December 30, 2006

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061230/SPORTS01/612300375/1108

Jets' Houston looks ready to run

By Josh Thomson

The Journal News

(Original Publication: December 30, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - When the Jets faced the Colts at the Meadowlands on Oct. 1, Cedric Houston appeared to have finally found his role. No more questions about who the starter was, no more hypotheticals about the running back of the future. Houston had gotten his chance to run and he'd run well.

As fate would have it - and Houston's fate always seems to have it the same way - the second-year back was tackled awkwardly near the goal line. He missed the next five games with a hyperextended knee despite suggestions he'd miss only one or two.

On Nov. 19, Houston returned, and he ran the ball fairly well the next five weeks, only to fall victim to a strained calf muscle that left him inactive Christmas night against Miami.

For Houston, this is how both the season and his Jets career have unfolded. He makes strides, then they are lost.

As tomorrow's game against Oakland approaches, Houston has been moving effectively at practice and appears ready to return to action. Personally, it would do a lot to end the frustration.

"I hope so," Houston said, not wanting to reveal too much. "I feel like I can play, but we'll see on Sunday."

The 6-foot, 220-pound Houston has probably been the Jets' most consistent rusher this season, with 330 yards and five touchdowns in what amounts to very limited action. But he's also been their most unlucky.

"I've never really gotten hurt a lot in my career, so for me it's been frustrating," Houston said. "I had big intentions this year to go out there and make plays, but little nagging injuries have been holding me down."

Last season, in Herman Edwards' final year as coach of the team, the Jets were ravaged by injuries at key positions. The offensive line lost three stalwarts for the season - Kevin Mawae, Pete Kendall and Jason Fabini - and Chad Pennington and Curtis Martin were among others who ended the year in street clothes or watching games from home.

Houston, an afterthought as a seventh-round pick, was diagnosed with a thyroid condition in training camp and started slowly. He eventually returned to full strength and was among those auditioning for jobs by season's end.

Among the many.

"Last year we had a lot of injuries," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "I was standing in the huddle with people I didn't even know."

Through preparation and good fortune, the Jets have mostly avoided season-altering injuries. Special-teams expert Tim Dwight landed on injured reserve, while fullback B.J. Askew and Kendall are among a handful of players who've missed games this season.

Injuries are relative in the NFL, and relative to their opponents, the Jets have had a clean bill of health.

"Sometimes injuries come in bunches or sometimes you have long stretches where you don't get them," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "I've seen it go both ways."

Good fortune appears to have found the Jets again this week. Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss was downgraded to doubtful on yesterday's injury report, meaning he'll likely miss his third straight game.

Moss, who is second on the team in receptions and receiving yards, rolled his ankle on Dec. 10 in Cincinnati and hasn't played since. He has yet to practice this week, and it appears his season is over.

Once again, health appears to favor the Jets on their road to securing a playoff berth. With any luck, Houston will finally be counted among the beneficiaries.

[With the news about Dyson being injured, this is an odd article for the Bergen Record to publish today. Regardless...]

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwNDczMzcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets avoiding injury bug

Saturday, December 30, 2006

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The 2006 Jets have been both lucky and good.

Good enough, certainly, to be in position to secure a playoff berth merely by beating hapless Oakland at home Sunday. And lucky enough that they've suffered very few serious injuries along the way.

Consider that the 4-12 Jets of 2005 had nine opening-day starters who missed significant time because of injuries, and six of those finished the season on injured reserve.

By contrast, the 9-6 Jets of 2006 have not lost an opening-day starter to injured reserve. And among them, only left guard Pete Kendall and fullback B.J. Askew have missed games because of injury.

"I think you'd love to be able to find the one factor that translates into staying healthy throughout the year," coach Eric Mangini said Friday, "but I don't think anybody has really figured out exactly why that is."

But that run of good fortune might change a bit this week. Andre Dyson, who has started every game at left cornerback, is listed as questionable with a knee injury suffered against Miami on Christmas night. He is a likely candidate to be inactive against the Raiders because his mobility seems to be severely limited.

Wideout Laveranues Coles also is listed as questionable, but that has become commonplace this season, as has his ability to play through various injuries.

While previous nicks to his calf and back have slowed him down, they haven't kept him out of the starting lineup.

Coles had another ache added to his growing list when he was leveled by Miami linebacker Zach Thomas in the second quarter Monday. He suffered a cut on his chin and may have suffered a concussion, although the Jets have neither confirmed nor denied that.

Coles still has two streaks in progress, one of 95 consecutive starts and another of 49 straight games with a reception.

But his stretch of 48 games with at least one first down came to an end against Miami, as he was thrown to only twice after he returned to the game following halftime, making one catch for 3 yards after being drilled.

When asked Friday about his status, Coles said, "I practiced, I practiced."

Although he has practiced on a limited basis all week, he has practiced that way more often than not in 2006, so he should be penciled in for consecutive start No. 96.

It won't ease the physical pain, but Coles should be glad to know that the NFL fined Thomas $7,500 for the hit, an NFL source said Friday. The fine was for unnecessary roughness and for a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Starting strong safety Kerry Rhodes (knee) has practiced on a limited basis, and seems to be ready to go, although he is questionable.

Running back Cedric Houston (calf), who was inactive at Miami, also has been limited in practice.

"I'm pretty much ready to go now," Houston said. "Whenever coach calls on me, I'll go, feeling good or not feeling good. I can rest in the off-season. That's what the off-season is for."

Houston is averaging 3.4 yards on 97 carries, but is the Jets' best running back for making yards after contact. He missed five games earlier in the season after suffering a knee injury against Indianapolis.

"I don't let stuff like that frustrate me," he said. "It could frustrate someone, but I just try to get myself back healthy as quick as possible so I can get back out there on the field.

"You've just got to take all that in stride and make plays when you do get the opportunity to go out there."

Jordan on injured reserve

The Oakland Raiders placed running back LaMont Jordan and wide receiver Jerry Porter on injured reserve Friday.

Jordan, a former Jet, has been sidelined since tearing the medial collateral ligament in his left knee Nov. 19 against Kansas City. Porter injured his hip in that game against the Chiefs and hasn't played since.

Oakland activated safety Hiram Eugene and tight end Derek Miller from the practice squad, making them eligible for Sunday's season finale against the Jets.

-- The Associated Press

Archived