Oh my god, the Jets are relevent again

RichardSeymour

Er, relevant... sigh...

Greetings from sunny Ithaca, NY.

So here we are. Not that this wasn't predictable... (I post as Belisarius on that board, and I voted Jets).

They may be bad enough to lose a decent slice of those games against cupcakes (I suspect they actually are, but it's far from a certainty), but they may also be good enough to lose to the good teams but take care of business against the weak sisters. 8-8 to 10-6 seems achievable, and it's almost hard to picture them losing 6 or more for a losing record. Getting a wild-card playoff berth doesn't seem out of the question, even if you take losses @NE, @MIN, and Chi as givens.

I should be thrilled. You guys are a classic one-and-done team. And yet...

1) It's divisional. It'll be smashmouth and hardfought, and that worries me.

2) Mangini. I'm not sure just how much to buy into him, but clearly he's a good coach and he has some good ideas on how to deal with Belichick and the Pats.

3) Bragging rights.... I don't care that much about this kind of thing but then that's sort of easy to say after three years of divisional domination. If y'all beat us in the playoffs you have bragging rights for the offseason, even if we did decisively win the division. That would be agonizing.

So tell me, anything to know about the Jets this year? I didn't get to see the second Jets/Pats game, just heard it on the radio. Who's good, who's bad, who's ugly (other than your fanbase)?

I hope the oldtimers are all doing well. I also hope that TX and the other Pats fans are still running rhetorical circles around y'all.

Archived