corwin brown to the irish { Merged }

gg

I didn't see this posted

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/208746,nd011207.article

Brown to step in as ND's defensive coordinator

January 12, 2007

Julian graduate Corwin Brown, the defensive backs coach for the New York Jets, will replace Rick Minter as Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator. Quarterbacks coach Pete Vaas also has been let go and is expected to be replaced by former Irish QB Ron Powlus, the Sun-Times has learned. Liberty University head coach Danny Rocco, who coached with Brown as assistants at Virginia, said he had several discussions with Brown about the position prior to Brown accepting the job.

‘‘When he mentioned Notre Dame, I told him that was one of those [jobs] too, too good to not do,’’ Rocco said Friday. ‘‘When he first told me about it, I thought it was just for any job on the staff. But when he said it was for defensive coordinator, I told him it was a no-brainer.

‘‘Corwin has worked so hard for such an opportunity, and he’s certainly ready for it. This is a great, great hire by coach Charlie Weis. This is a great day for Notre Dame.’’

Brown, 36, was not immediately available for comment. Jets assistant coaches are off-limits to the media.

Brown, a former co-captain and safety at Michigan, was Virginia’s special teams coach from 2001-03. He had been with Jets as the DB coach since ’04.

Brown played eight seasons in the NFL: four with New England, two with the New York Jets and two with Detroit. He played for the Patriots from 1993-96 – the same years Weis was an assistant coach with New England. Brown’s two seasons with New York also coincided with Weis’ stint as a Jets assistant.

Brown was an all-state defensive back at Julian and member of the Sun-Times’ all-1980s team.

And with your font color, very few of us will "see" it either. :P

Good for Corwin. That is a high profile job. Sucks for the jets though. I liked his style, he seemd to "get" the players. Although at 36 he was clearly too old for this staff anyhow.

And with your font color, very few of us will "see" it either. :P

Good for Corwin. That is a high profile job. Sucks for the jets though. I liked his style, he seemd to "get" the players. Although at 36 he was clearly too old for this staff anyhow.

look above ... smart a$$

Jets' assistant joins the Irish

Saturday, January 13, 2007

BY STAFF AND NEWS SERVICE REPORTS

Corwin Brown, the Jets' secondary coach for the past three seasons, is leaving Long Island for South Bend, Ind.

Brown is expected to join Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, a former Jets assistant, to become the new Irish defensive coordinator, according to NFL and Notre Dame sources.

Jets and Notre Dame officials declined comment, but the South Bend Tribune reported Friday that Brown will replace Rick Minter, who has been terminated after two years as Weis' defensive coordinator.

There was nothing new on Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer after he became one of a dozen candidates to interview with Miami owner Wayne Huizenga for the Dolphins' coaching vacancy Wednesday.

Word was that the Dolphins would like to name their coach within the next two weeks. But it's being rumored that they may wait to see if they can interview Marty Schottenheimer, Brian's father, should he get fired following a playoff loss by the Chargers.

-- Randy Lange

Surgery for T.O.

Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens said he underwent successful surgery Thursday in Miami to repair a torn tendon in his right ring finger.

Owens played the latter part of the season with the injury, even though he was told he was risking permanent damage.

"The doctor is very optimistic," Owens said. "I am happy I had the surgery. I am happy with the news he gave me that I will return to 100 percent."

Owens wouldn't put a timetable on when he will catch passes again, but said he will be ready for the 2007 season.

Gonzalez extended

Tony Gonzalez agreed to a five-year contract extension with the Chiefs that keeps him the highest-paid tight end in the NFL.

The eight-time Pro Bowler, just two touchdown catches short of the league record for his position (Shannon Sharpe, 62), will receive nearly $17 million in guaranteed money, a source said.

Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson said Gonzalez, 30, will remain the league's top-paid tight end.

"And I think he deserves to be," Peterson said. "I personally think he's the best tight end in the NFL today, and has been for many years."

Bengals' LB upbeat

Bengals linebacker David Pollack is encouraged by his recent surgery for a cracked bone in his neck, but hasn't decided whether he will try to resume his NFL career.

"I haven't given up on the possibility of playing football again, but any decision on that is a way down the road," he said. "My recovery is not complete. I've got a ton of work to do with doctors and trainers, and my neck just has to finish healing."

Briefs

Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, the son of Buddy Ryan, interviewed for the team's coaching vacancy. Meanwhile, the Raiders said offensive coordinator John Shoop was hired to do the same job at North Carolina. ... Lions receiver Roy Williams was added to the 2007 NFC Pro Bowl squad, replacing the Rams' Torry Holt (knee). Williams caught 82 passes for 1,310 yards this season.

Archived