I am gonna shock you guys now.....Don't Tell....

NEM

...I AM A HUGE RANGER FAN.........................

I was born in Boston (1939) but my family moved to NYC (Queens) when I was 2 years old. My father was born inb Montreal and a huge hockey fan, and got Ranger a season ticket at the OLD MSG on eigth Avenue and 50th Street.

I still remember the seat location. Section 330, Row A, Seat 1. Balcony in the corner, BEST SEAT FOR HOCKEY IS IN THE CORNER LIKE THAT.

Anyway, he started taking me to games when I was about 7 or 8 and he never bought me a ticket. He slipped the guy at the gate a buck and he let me in under the turnstile. When we got to his seat, I sat next to him on the aisle step.

Eventually he got me seat number 2.

Those were the days of the 6 team NHL. I saw all the great players for the Rangers, and other teams. Bathgate, Henry, Hebenton, Worsley, Park, and so many others I cant even remember..... and the visiting teams, Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Terry Sawchuck, Bobby Orr, and on and on and on.

I remember when the Bentley Brother, Max and Doug, came over from the Blackhawks near the end of their careers.

My dad and I were charter members of the ORIGINAL New York Rangers Fan Club. We met in the caverns under the garden.

In those days, between periods we used to play kick hockey in the areas between the steps down..kicking a paper cup , flattened down, around like a puck. One shooter, one goalie.

We bounced beach ball sized balloons around in the stands between periods.

Gladys Gooding was the organist, seemed like forever.

Some of the officials were the hated Red Storey....Linesman Armstrong, and many other great old NHL Officials....

The Hockey News was 15 cents, I believe.

There was no digital clock, no overtime..... and it was great, old time hockey.

I really miss those days.

Eventually, after the military, I moved back to the Boston area.

I had season seats at the old Boston Garden for a while, and every time the Rangers came in, I had my Ranger Fan Club sign.

In those days, the six team league, in a 70 game schedule, each team played the other one 14 times each... lots of great rivalries.

I have good vibes about the team this year.

When the won the cup several years ago, I was elated.

I never thought I would see it in my lifetime.

Much like the Red Sox World Series win a couple of years ago, I never thought I would see that, either.

Now, dont let the cat out of the bag, I am a HUGE Sox fan, but during my years in NY, I was a hard core Yankee fan, went to many games at the stadium..but eventually, I saw the light and became a Red Sox Fan, and have been for the last 40 odd years.

Anyway, those were some great days with the Rangers, back in the late 40's and through the 50's

Great, great hockey.

BTW, I dont play anymore, too old, but I was a certified AHAUS referee for a long time, and played on different teams in the Boston area (Mens leagues) and coached bantam and junior B hockey for many years, too.

Anyway, I have a good feeling about this Ranger team.

I like this guy more and more every post.

He has a poker room on his website AND he is a Rangers fan.

Those days at the OLD Garden on 8th Avenue were really great. Lot of great memories, when, IMO, hockey was at it's best.

The old garden stunk, it was dirty, at time, uncomfortable, hard stairs to climb but it was hockey, the way it was meant to be played.

Same thing for the other rinks at that time.

Great, great venues.

Boston Garden

Detroit Olympia

Chicago Stadium

Montreal Forum

Maple Leaf Gardens

When you went to a game at the old garden, you could feel the game in the air, the excitement... and the sounds, the fans, those were the days.

Straight sticks, no helmets, no masks, and skates that looked like something bought in a church sale....

But it was hockey, real hockey, and the players.... hell, as long as they could breathe, they played.

Players would get cut, blood pouring down, and they go onto the bench, get it sewn up, and back on the ice.

Today's players take 7 games off if they have a hangnail.

Now I am 67 years old, 68 next week, and tired, not in good health, and all I have is those memories...And it brings tears to my eyes. I loved it so much.

Archived