JETS news articles. Sat., 9/8

Kentucky Jet

NY POST

QB BRADY HAS JETS' NUMBER

By MARK CANNIZZARO

September 8, 2007 -- Jets owner Woody Johnson might not approve of this, but when the new football stadium at the Meadowlands is completed and it's time to name the place, they might as well call it Tom Brady Stadium.

After all, Brady, the Patriots' Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, MVP, all-everything quarterback, owns the place.

When Brady enters Giants Stadium for tomorrow's season opener against the Jets, he'll be walking onto a field where he owns a 6-0 career record as a starter against the Jets. He's 10-2 overall against them, having thrown 14 TDs and five interceptions.

And that was without the receiving firepower the Patriots brought in for him this year: Wes Welker, Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth and Kelley Washington.

"How much better can he get?" Jets CB Andre Dyson said of the three-time Super Bowl champ. "He's done everything. He's won championships, MVPs . . . he's done it all. If he can get better than what he's been then, hey . . . more power to him."

And less power to the Jets.

"It's hard to make a guy like that better," Jets LB Victor Hobson said. "Brady's a great quarterback and we all know that. We're going to have to do what we can to contain him."

That figures to be difficult, considering the array of new players he has to work with.

"When you have a great quarterback like Brady and you add in all the new weapons, it's tough," Jets S Erik Coleman said. "With guys like Moss and Stallworth and Welker, the short completions can turn into long ones quickly. That makes their offense even harder to prepare for.

"You can definitely tell how well he prepares well for the games," Coleman said of Brady. "When you watch film, he seems to know where guys are supposed to be on defense and he's making adjustments off their looks. When he has to, he has a very strong arm to get the ball into spaces that other quarterbacks can't. He's a great player."

When the Jets have had scant bits of success against Brady, they've been able to pressure him.

"Brady's a smart quarterback, though, and when he sees pressure and knows how to adjust," Coleman said.

Eric Mangini has seen Brady up close from both sides of the field, as a Patriots assistant and as an opposing head coach.

"You can't say enough good things about Tom and what he does year in and year out, game in and game out, pressure situations, his ability to read defenses, understand where the defense is going to be vulnerable, understand where he's going to be able to make some plays," Mangini said. "He does an excellent job moving around the pocket, buying time, getting them into really good situations."

Jets S Kerry Rhodes said he anticipated one potential problem for Brady.

"There's only one ball, so he's still got to get a lot of people touches," Rhodes said. "It's going to be hard to get everyone the ball; they've got to deal with that."

Mangini said he believes Brady will deal with that just fine.

"One of the things that I respect about him is his ability to spread the ball around to a lot of different people," Mangini said. "And, he's got a lot of different people that he can spread the ball around to."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, September 8th 2007, 4:00 AM

Jerricho Cotchery, Patriots killer?

"Oh, no," the Jets' wide receiver insisted. "That's not it at all."

Naturally, he wasn't going to acknowledge that, not with the Patriots coming to town for the season opener tomorrow at the Meadowlands, but there's no denying that Cotchery has turned the Border War into a personal highlight film.

In three games last season, including the Jets' wild-card playoff loss in New England, Cotchery hauled in 16 receptions for 291 yards and three of the prettiest touchdowns you will ever see - 71-, 22- and 77-yard scores. It's unusual when a receiver burns a Bill Belichick-coached defense for a big play, but Cotchery has done it time after time after time.

Cotchery is best remembered for the 71-yard touchdown in Week 2, his coming-out moment in the NFL. He caught a pass near midfield, took a big hit, landed on a defensive back and pulled a Gumby, contorting his body out of the horizontal position just before his knee touched the ground. He got up and ran for the end zone, a spectacular play that revealed athleticism and sheer determination.

"An unbelievable play that you just don't see," quarterback Chad Pennington said. "In the next two games, he was really able to work the coverages and get open. That's one of his strengths, finding windows. ... He's able to find windows even when he's double covered or the coverage is focused on him."

In the rematch, Cotchery scored the go-ahead touchdown, making a magnificent, over-the-shoulder grab in the end zone. He looked like Willie Mays, robbing Vic Wertz. It lifted the Jets to a 17-14 upset in Foxboro. In the re-rematch, Cotchery broke free in the secondary and made a 77-yard reception, giving the Jets a temporary lead in the 37-16 loss.

Asked to explain his success against the Patriots, Cotchery credited his teammates.

"I'm going to get a lot of opportunities just by being on the other side of Laveranues (Coles)," said Cotchery, who enjoyed an 82-catch, breakout season that resulted in a five-year, $19 million contract extension. "It opened up even more later in the year when guys like Leon (Washington) and Brad Smith stepped up. It just happened that way. Every time we played New England, I had an opportunity to make a lot of plays."

Cotchery's recent performances might cause Belichick & Co. to rethink their usual game plan. Perhaps they will shift more attention to Cotchery, but that would create chances for Coles.

"(Coles) is really a hard guy to cover, and that whole receiving corps is really a good group," Belichick said. "The Jets have outstanding skill players."

The Patriots' secondary, sans safety Rodney Harrison (substance-abuse suspension), could be vulnerable. Harrison probably will be replaced by James Sanders, better against the run than the pass. There's also a question about big-play cornerback Asante Samuel, who missed the entire preseason because of a contract dispute.

BENDER'S TURN: Is rookie LG Jacob Bender getting benched before his first start? Adrien Clarke, who started the first two preseason games before being replaced by Bender, took first-team reps yesterday in practice. Both players could wind up seeing time on Sunday, with Wade Smith also in the mix. ... Eric Mangini managed to keep a straight face when asked to comment on the Patriots' injury report from Thursday, which listed QB Tom Brady (right shoulder) as a limited participant in practice. "I think New England has given out very accurate injury reports, and I appreciate that," he deadpanned. ... RB Thomas Jones (strained calf) said he's "feeling a lot better." He's expected to play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f..._threat_ag.html

Jerricho Cotchery is a big-play threat against Patriots

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, September 8th 2007, 4:00 AM

Jerricho Cotchery, Patriots killer?

"Oh, no," the Jets' wide receiver insisted. "That's not it at all."

Naturally, he wasn't going to acknowledge that, not with the Patriots coming to town for the season opener tomorrow at the Meadowlands, but there's no denying that Cotchery has turned the Border War into a personal highlight film.

In three games last season, including the Jets' wild-card playoff loss in New England, Cotchery hauled in 16 receptions for 291 yards and three of the prettiest touchdowns you will ever see - 71-, 22- and 77-yard scores. It's unusual when a receiver burns a Bill Belichick-coached defense for a big play, but Cotchery has done it time after time after time.

Cotchery is best remembered for the 71-yard touchdown in Week 2, his coming-out moment in the NFL. He caught a pass near midfield, took a big hit, landed on a defensive back and pulled a Gumby, contorting his body out of the horizontal position just before his knee touched the ground. He got up and ran for the end zone, a spectacular play that revealed athleticism and sheer determination.

"An unbelievable play that you just don't see," quarterback Chad Pennington said. "In the next two games, he was really able to work the coverages and get open. That's one of his strengths, finding windows. ... He's able to find windows even when he's double covered or the coverage is focused on him."

In the rematch, Cotchery scored the go-ahead touchdown, making a magnificent, over-the-shoulder grab in the end zone. He looked like Willie Mays, robbing Vic Wertz. It lifted the Jets to a 17-14 upset in Foxboro. In the re-rematch, Cotchery broke free in the secondary and made a 77-yard reception, giving the Jets a temporary lead in the 37-16 loss.

Asked to explain his success against the Patriots, Cotchery credited his teammates.

"I'm going to get a lot of opportunities just by being on the other side of Laveranues (Coles)," said Cotchery, who enjoyed an 82-catch, breakout season that resulted in a five-year, $19 million contract extension. "It opened up even more later in the year when guys like Leon (Washington) and Brad Smith stepped up. It just happened that way. Every time we played New England, I had an opportunity to make a lot of plays."

Cotchery's recent performances might cause Belichick & Co. to rethink their usual game plan. Perhaps they will shift more attention to Cotchery, but that would create chances for Coles.

"(Coles) is really a hard guy to cover, and that whole receiving corps is really a good group," Belichick said. "The Jets have outstanding skill players."

The Patriots' secondary, sans safety Rodney Harrison (substance-abuse suspension), could be vulnerable. Harrison probably will be replaced by James Sanders, better against the run than the pass. There's also a question about big-play cornerback Asante Samuel, who missed the entire preseason because of a contract dispute.

BENDER'S TURN: Is rookie LG Jacob Bender getting benched before his first start? Adrien Clarke, who started the first two preseason games before being replaced by Bender, took first-team reps yesterday in practice. Both players could wind up seeing time on Sunday, with Wade Smith also in the mix. ... Eric Mangini managed to keep a straight face when asked to comment on the Patriots' injury report from Thursday, which listed QB Tom Brady (right shoulder) as a limited participant in practice. "I think New England has given out very accurate injury reports, and I appreciate that," he deadpanned. ... RB Thomas Jones (strained calf) said he's "feeling a lot better." He's expected to play.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...0,5354596.story

Jets' Nugent hopes added size helps

BY KATIE STRANG | caitlin.strang@newsday.com

10:19 PM EDT, September 7, 2007

Last year, Jets kicker Mike Nugent proved he is accurate. Now he's out to show he has the leg strength to boot.

Nugent was 24-for-27 in 2006 and went on a hot streak at midseason, nailing 18 consecutive field-goal attempts. They included two from 50-plus yards, a game-winner against Miami in Week 16 and a 3-for-3 effort in the playoffs.

Despite last season's success, Nugent consulted with the Jets' coaching staff, particularly special-teams coach Mike Westhoff, about gaining weight to improve his leg strength.

The 5-9 Nugent, who is listed at 188 pounds, put on 10 pounds in the offseason by working with a nutritionist to increase his calorie intake and worked on building power by strength training and conditioning.

"Unless you're kicking touchbacks on every kickoff and hitting 65-yarders consistently, you can always get a lot stronger," said Nugent, whose work this summer with Westhoff helped him realize the importance of kickoffs in game situations.

"Kickoff coverage is a huge part of this game," added Nugent, who had only two touchbacks on 74 kickoffs last season; he had one touchback on 63 kickoffs in his rookie season in 2005. "With field position, the deeper we can get them, the better feel everyone gets."

Eric Mangini has been impressed with Nugent's proactive approach to improving the elements of his game that need work. The coach expects Nugent's off-the-field preparation to give him a leg up on the upcoming season.

"What I like about Mike is the way that he's honest with the things he has to improve. He addresses those things head on," Mangini said. "The Tennessee game last year wasn't his best, and I'm sure he'd like to have those kicks back. But he looked at what he didn't do well and addressed it."

In Week 1 last season, Nugent struggled on the road against the Titans, missing two of three field-goal attempts, both from inside 35 yards. Nugent redeemed himself with his display of consistency in subsequent weeks. He missed only one other field-goal attempt the rest of the season.

"The most positive thing about that game is I just threw it out and moved on to the next week," said Nugent, who bounced back by connecting on a 42-yarder against the Patriots.

"I was in one of the downest-downs of my career so far, and I think you're only as good as your next kick," Nugent said, "so I hope I can keep doing things like that."

His hard work already has seemed to pay dividends. Nugent was named one of the special-teams captains and is entering Sunday's game fresh off a game-winning 35-yarder in the final preseason game against Philadelphia.

"That's going to give him great confidence going in," punter and placekick holder Ben Graham said.

Come Sunday, if faced with a game-winning field goal, Graham is confident that Nugent will be able to handle the pressure.

"He practices like every field goal he kicks is a game-winner," Graham said, "so he's going to handle those situations just fine."

Notes & quotes: RB Thomas Jones, CBs Andre Dyson and Justin Miller and S Eric Smith saw limited participation in practice Friday and are listed as questionable for Sunday. Patriots QB Tom Brady (right shoulder) is listed as probable.

Jets' Jones: Calf is 'feeling a lot better'

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

3:23 PM EDT, September 7, 2007

Thomas Jones is ready for his first taste of the Jets-Patriots rivalry.

Whether that comes on the playing field still appears to be a game-time decision, but New York's star running back remained optimistic Friday about the progress of his strained right calf.

"I'm feeling a lot better," Jones said Friday, reiterating his comments from earlier in the week.

Jones was injured during drills on Aug. 12 and hadn't practiced again until this week.

"The trainers have done a great job of getting me back on the practice field and getting me to go through some drills and things like that," he said. "So, we'll see how I feel on Sunday."

Jones addressed the injury for the first time Wednesday, saying, "I feel a lot better than I felt the past couple of weeks."

Coach Eric Mangini was noncommittal, as usual, regarding Jones' availability for the game against New England.

"He's really what he's been," Mangini said.

The coach said he was encouraged by the progress made by all the Jets' injured players, who include Jones, Justin Miller and Eric Smith.

"They've been doing everything we've asked them to do," Mangini said. "The program in place is a good program. You just have to go through the whole process before you're certain you're going to be able to get a level of performance out of that player and anticipate what that level is, even going into the game, making sure that you're keeping that in mind."

If he's cleared to play, Jones could split carries with second-year back Leon Washington. Jones has faced the Patriots only once in his eight-year career: last season, when he had 99 yards on 23 carries at New England.

"Hey, this is what I signed up for," Jones said. "I'm just glad to be here. Hopefully, just try my best and contribute to the team."

Jones rushed for 1,210 yards and six touchdowns while leading the Bears to the Super Bowl in February. He's expected to jump-start the Jets' running game, which struggled mightily last season while working with a rotation of running backs.

Bender but don't break

Jets hope rookie guard can make big step up to starter

Saturday, September 08, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- As the Jets' Jacob Bender sat in front of his corner locker stall, he politely answered questions, often punctuating his responses with a gleaming smile framed in the red beard that rims his round face.

If the rookie guard is worried about his date with the New England Patriots tomorrow at the Meadowlands, he's not letting on.

Bender, a sixth-round pick, is enjoying his ride this week from obscurity to one of the main story lines in his first NFL game. But that ride will likely turn tumultuous against the Patriots. Bender will start and the Pats figure to come at him with everything their mad scientist of a coach, Bill Belichick, can dream up.

Blitzes. Stunts. Bull-rushes. And all the dirty tricks that go unseen in NFL trenches.

Former Jet Pete Kendall, traded to the Redskins in a contract dispute two weeks ago, has seen it all in his 11 seasons. Bender has seen none of it. And if he struggles mightily and the Jets lose, general manager Mike Tannenbaum will be on the hook for his decision to deal Kendall and not give him a $1 million raise.

"Things are going to happen," Bender said this week. "You have to adjust. You have to be ready. I'm sure it's in the game plan (to come at him). They like to find weaknesses and limit strengths. But I just have to be ready for it and make sure I'm on the same page with the rest of the offensive line."

Especially in passing situations.

Bender, 6-6 and 315 pounds, is learning the art of pass blocking almost from scratch after playing left tackle in a triple option offense at Division 1-AA Nicholls State. There, he developed into an overpowering run-blocker.

But protecting the quarterback is everything in the NFL, and if you can't do that, you don't play.

Against the Patriots, Bender will see a lot of highly respected nose tackle Vince Wilfork, who is listed at 325 pounds but is close to 340. The inside linebackers in the Patriots' 3-4 scheme are free-agent prize Adalius Thomas, the former Raven, and veteran Tedy Bruschi.

Welcome to the NFL, Jacob Bender.

"You always want to go against the best because that makes you better," Bender said.

Bender, however, catches a bit of a break in that the Patriots will be without Pro Bowl defensive end Richard Seymour (reserve/PUP list) and hard-hitting safety Rodney Harrison (positive test for using the banned substance HGH).

The Patriots, though, are a team of replaceable parts. Veterans Jarvis Green and James Sanders will step in for Seymour and Harrison, respectively, and the unit likely won't miss a beat.

Notes: RB Thomas Jones (calf) stopped just short of saying he'll play tomorrow. "Hey, this is what I signed up for," he said. "I'm just glad to be here. ... I'm feeling a lot better. The trainers have done a great job of getting me back on the practice field. We'll see how I feel on Sunday."...

The Jets will honor RB Curtis Martin during a halftime ceremony on Nov. 18 against his hometown Steelers at Giants Stadium....

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who gave Eric Mangini a midfield bear hug after their playoff matchup last season, remains estranged from his prot

Jets to kick off with optimism

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 8, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - Playoff berths tend to raise the expectations for the following season, and the Jets enter 2007 believing they are a talented team.

But whether that talent can mesh into another postseason-worthy team remains, for the time being, an unknown.

"I think you need to get into live battle first," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said after yesterday's practice at Hofstra. "We can say we're ready, we can say we're a great team together, whatever, whatever. Until you get into live bullets and see how you're going to react in the game and how the situation is going to go, you never really know."

That first test comes tomorrow when the Jets host their AFC East rivals, the Patriots, at the Meadowlands at 1 p.m.

"With any team, I think character is revealed as you go," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "I've gotten to know a lot of these players; they've gotten to know me. I've seen different situations where adversity has struck and how we respond to that adversity."

Mangini constantly preaches to his players that they should focus only on the immediate task at hand, be it a meeting, practice or game.

So when asked to compare the optimism surrounding this year's team to last year's, wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said the biggest improvement might be the players' ability to adhere to Mangini's dictum. Last season, Cotchery said, the team might have gotten caught up in its own expectations.

This time around, Cotchery said, Mangini "keeps the players balanced to never get too high, never too low. We're just working like we've got a chip on our shoulder.

"I would say last year probably would have been tough," Cotchery said. "You realize the talent you have, and it's a different situation with a new staff coming in and getting adjusted to everything. When you start winning games and start seeing everything come together, sometimes you can get too high. What it is, is a maturation process, and he definitely sped it up."

The Jets finished 10-6 last season despite published predictions that they'd win four games or so. Many players frequently noted how their success was unexpected only to people outside the locker room.

That confidence is still there.

"We're definitely a confident team," Rhodes said. "We believe in what we can do. We've got great players who can make plays."

Of course, what NFL team isn't optimistic entering Week 1?

But newcomer Eric Hicks, the defensive end who spent the previous nine seasons with the Chiefs, sees with his veteran eyes some good signs for the Jets.

"What I like about the Jets is it's really a cohesive unit," Hicks said. "There's not a division between offense and defense. The groups are pretty balanced, and they play with a team concept and people really respect each other here."

Notes: Cornerback Andre Dyson was limping during practice, meaning first-rounder Darrelle Revis is likely to get his first start. ... Dyson (foot), running back Thomas Jones (calf), cornerback Justin Miller (thigh), right guard Brandon Moore (shoulder) and safety Eric Smith (thigh) were all listed as questionable. Jones repeated yesterday he is feeling better. ... The Patriots listed Tom Brady (right shoulder) as probable, while Randy Moss was not on their injury list. New England has long been accused of tinkering with their injury reports - either by not reporting everything or by listing everybody. So there might have been a hint of sarcasm in Mangini's answer when asked about Brady's limited participation in Thursday's practice, even if Mangini looked absolutely serious. "I think New England's always given out very accurate injury reports, and I appreciate that," Mangini said. ... The Patriots have until this afternoon to place cornerback Asante Samuel on their roster for the game. Samuel missed all of training camp before signing a one-year deal Aug. 28 and being granted a roster exemption. "Do I think in one week he's where other players are after six weeks?" Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "No, I think that would be totally unrealistic."

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com

Showtime: Jets Look for Week 1 Upset

By Joe Caporoso | September 7th, 2007

E-mail | Print | Share

Two days until the curtains go up on the 2007-2008 NFL season for the New York Jets. For the Green and White, their season starts with who it ended with last year, division rival and Super Bowl favorite, New England. If the Jets want to make the AFC East race an exciting one, this would be a great place to start and from all indications it looks like the Jets may be catching Bill Bellicheck and the Pats at the right time, as they are without Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, and have a hobbled Randy Moss.

How the Jets will Win:

Thomas Jones runs hard and helps control the clock, keeping the Pats defense honest. Pennington moves the chains consistently with Laveraneus Coles and Chris Baker, and hits the big one over the top to Jerricho Cotchery or Justin McCariens. Leon Washington turns a simple screen pass into a 35 yard gain, and Brad Smith steals a few first downs when lining up at QB. Kerry Rhodes, David Bowens, and Shaun Ellis keep the heat on Brady all day, forcing him into a couple of turnovers. The Jets front seven don

Pats must fill in holes

Thursday, September 06, 2007

By CHRIS KENNEDY

ckennedy@repub.com

FOXBOROUGH - Games this early in the season usually aren't about who might not play. Those types of issues often come a bit later, when teams have spent a month or two knocking each other around.

The New England Patriots, however, will be without ingredients expected to be key to their success this season when they open Sunday at the New York Jets. Defensive end Richard Seymour (knee) is out for at least six weeks and safety Rodney Harrison (suspension) for four, a couple of rather stunning developments that came late last week.

The end result is the Patriots find themselves in familiar territory, trying to find a way to win at less than full strength.

Advertisement

"Historically, we've been able to do well with people out," New England linebacker Mike Vrabel said. "Those guys will be missed, they won't be with us, but when that's been the case we've had people step up. That's the nature of the business."

Jarvis Green is expected to start for Seymour, while James Sanders and to some degree rookie Brandon Meriweather will probably see time at safety.

At the same time the Patriots are plugging two significant holes, the New York Jets are hoping they will not have to adjust to a major absence. Running back Thomas Jones, the team's most significant off-season pick-up, saw limited work in practice yesterday. He has been sidelined by a calf injury for about three weeks.

"The one thing that Thomas has been consistent with is that there has not been a lot of missed playing time," Jets coach Eric Mangini said of a back who has started 45 of a possible 48 games over the last three seasons.

"He's a very tough person, and something that we liked (when) talking to people prior to the trade was his work ethic. (He works) the same in the weight room as on the field, and, in this case, rehab. ... We'll see how it goes later in the week."

Jones, who was acquired as part of a draft day trade, could help the Jets develop a balanced offense. Chad Pennington started all 16 games in a season for the first time in his career last season, depending quite a bit of Laveranues Coles (91 catches) and Jerricho Cotchery (82). Four offensive linemen return, led by second-year pros and former first-round picks Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Ferguson will be the one worrying about Green, rather than Seymour.

Jones, an eighth-year pro with his fourth team, rushed for more than 1,200 yards in each of the last two seasons for a Chicago team which had an iffy at best passing attack. In the Jets, he joins a team that managed only 3.5 yards per carry in 2006, third worst in the league behind Arizona and Baltimore. Half the league averaged 4 yards or better, and the hard-nosed running of Jones could help the Jets move into that more respectable group.

"I don't think it adds pressure," Jones said of his expected impact. "This is my job. My job is to come out here and make plays. So it's not any added pressure, and it's not any less pressure. It's just what I'm used to."

The Jets could decide to use Jones a bit differently than the Bears, but it still comes down to Jones picking up the tough yardage against a New England defense missing two tough guys.

"It's the same principals of football, regardless of what offense you're in, regardless of what conference you're in," Jones said. "You still have to do the little things right."

While the Patriots are not at full strength on defense, they are on offense. Receiver Randy Moss, who did not play in the preseason because of a leg injury, was not listed on the team's injury report. That means he participated fully in practice.

INJURY REPORT: Injury reports are different this season. Instead of out, doubtful, questionable and probable, the categories are out, did not practice, limited participation in practice and full participation in practice.

Safety Rashad Baker (hand), tight end Dave Thomas (foot) and defensive lineman Mike Wright (knee) practiced on a limited basis for the Patriots. Tom Brady (shoulder) practiced completely.

NO HELP? The Jets showed an interest in receiver Reche Caldwell, cut by the Patriots earlier this week. Vrabel was asked if Caldwell might help the Jets with inside information. "Reche didn't know our offense that well," Vrabel quipped. "That's the end of that question."

Print This E-mail This

MORE PATRIOTS

A New Season, but the Same Old Belichick

By KAREN CROUSE

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — This time there were no excruciating pauses, no impersonal personal pronouns planted like verbal land mines in his sentences. In a teleconference with New York reporters Wednesday, New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick still would not address his former protégé, Eric Mangini, by his first name, but he did praise him.

“I think he’s done a good job with the team, especially how they came back strong in the second half of the season,” Belichick said. “They played real good football.”

The Patriots, of course, played better. When they faced the Jets in the first round of the playoffs, they scored 14 unanswered points in winning, 37-16. On Sunday, the Jets will open their 2007 season against the team that ended their 2006 season.

The Jets’ Sisyphean task of overtaking the Patriots, their longtime division foes, looks no less daunting now that New England quarterback Tom Brady has three new receivers — Randy Moss, Donte’ Stallworth and Wes Welker.

The defense added the free-agent linebacker Adalius Thomas, who has the ability, along with Rosevelt Colvin, Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi, to turn any game into a sack race.

The Patriots are so deep, they can lose their Pro Bowl defensive lineman Richard Seymour to a knee injury for at least a month and replace him with Jarvis Green, who is considered a star-in-waiting. They can lose safety Rodney Harrison to a league-mandated drug suspension and start in his place James Sanders, who led the secondary in tackles in last season’s playoffs.

It is a joke how deep the Patriots are, which perhaps explains why Belichick, whose mood grew darker before every Jets game last season, was able to laugh about being placed on hold before the start of the teleconference, during which time a running commentary of Jets highlights played in his ear. “Maybe that was coordinated,” he said.

On the eve of his 33rd season in the N.F.L. and his eighth as the Patriots’ coach, Belichick can afford to loosen the ties on his hoodie. The Patriots, who advanced to the American Football Conference championship game last season with a receiving corps made up mostly of spare parts, look better on paper than any of the Belichick teams that captured five of the previous six A.F.C. East titles.

“I enjoy coaching in the National Football League,” he said. “It’s a huge challenge, but it’s very exciting going up against great teams, players and coaches every week and trying to match that challenge with our group. It beats working, I’ll tell you that.

“I enjoy the preparation with the film study, and I enjoy the decision making and the challenges that come up during a game. I know it might not always look like it, but I do. I love the competitiveness of it.”

So does Mangini, or he would not have spent part of his Tuesday meeting with Reche Caldwell, a receiver who was released by the Patriots the previous day. The Jets have arguably the best receiving corps in the A.F.C. this side of Foxborough, so Mangini’s interest in Caldwell figured to have less to do with his play than his familiarity with the Patriots’ playbook.

“We get to know them and see whether or not we want to have them on the shortlist,” Mangini said, adding that discussions like the one he had with Caldwell center around “general chitchat, how they enjoyed it and that type of thing.”

Is one man’s gamesmanship another’s compulsion? When it comes to the Patriots, the Jets have a longing that borders on the obsessive, taking their players, coaches and philosophies and making them their own.

Last season, in losing two of three meetings, the Jets saw that if they wanted to run with the Patriots, they were going to have to upgrade their rushing game. In the two losses, they averaged 61 yards on the ground. In the victory, they ran for 117 yards.

So in the off-season the Jets traded for tailback Thomas Jones, who was coming off his second consecutive 1,000-yard rushing season with the Super Bowl runner-up Chicago Bears.

Jones was limited to eight carries in the preseason because of a right calf injury. Mangini has been comically circumspect about Jones’s progress. Jones was more direct.

“I feel a lot better than I have felt the past couple of weeks,” he said. “The trainers have done a really good job of trying to get me back on the field.”

He added, “I’m going to practice today and practice tomorrow and go into the game and see how it goes.”

On Sunday, the Jets will throw a rookie cornerback, Darrelle Revis, at Brady, and a rookie left guard, Jacob Bender, at the Patriots’ defense and see how it goes.

Pennington, Vilma on spot as Jets open season

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

September 9, 2007

Remember last year? Eric Mangini doesn't want you to.

For the Jets coach, this isn't Year 2. It's just This Year. And as soon as the 2006 campaign ended with a remarkable 10-6 record and an admirable if not lopsided playoff loss to the Patriots, Mangini was trying to distance himself from it.

"It really doesn't matter what happened last year," he said early (and often) in training camp. "Every season, there are teams that were disappointing that suddenly have very good seasons, and teams that expectations were high for that didn't. You see it year in and year out."

Mangini, for the most part, has been part of the former. Last year, his Jets surprised most of the league with a swing of six wins from 2005. When he was an assistant in New England, the Patriots went from 5-11 in 2000 to a Super Bowl team in 2001.

"Each year is its own entity," Mangini said. "You have to do the same things every camp, every step of the way, to achieve the same level that you did. Prior results don't predict future results. Kind of like the stock market."

The Jets added some players to improve weaknesses (Thomas Jones and Darrelle Revis) and got rid of a few who were not performing up to expectations (Kimo von Oelhoffen and Anthony Schlegel). But the key to success in 2007 will still come down to two very familiar players: Chad Pennington and Jonathan Vilma. It's worth noting that neither had a particularly stunning preseason ... and that neither is particularly worried about it.

Pennington's health is no longer an issue. His twice-repaired rotator cuff has shown no signs of derailing his career for a third time. What could trouble him, though, are interceptions. Pennington has always been a quarterback who uses his head more than his arm. He's smart, efficient, and precise. So why did a 2006 season in which he played all 16 games for the first time in his career coincide with a 16-interception season, also the most in his career?

Pennington wanted to know as much as anybody.

"I went back and looked at all of the interceptions from last year and saw which ones I could control and which ones I couldn't control," Pennington said. "You hope that in your second year in the offense, you limit some of those interceptions because you're learning in year one and you trying to get a feel for timeouts and things like that and then move on and try to make things work on the practice field.

"For the most part throughout training camp, I did a relatively good job of taking care of the football."

Backup quarterback Kellen Clemens pushed Pennington in training camp, but never made any real overtures toward becoming the Jets starter. If Pennington is injured or plays poorly, however, the Jets may see their quarterback of the future more quickly than expected.

But the team won't be too quick to pull the rug out from under Pennington. They know that every season in the last five that Pennington has started at least 10 games, the Jets have made the playoffs. Anytime during that span he has not reached 10 starts, the Jets' season has ended at 16 games.

As for his preseason passer rating of 57.1, Pennington shook it off, noting that he always struggles in the exhibitions.

Vilma, the team's leading tackler last year, had one preseason tackle. In the first game. Does it matter that the centerpiece of the defense hasn't taken down a runner or receiver in almost a full month?

"As long as I feel good within myself, I'm making the right reads, running to the ball, hustling, then the tackles, I'm not worried about that," Vilma said. "I've been over 100 the past three years. I think I'll be all right with that."

Just like the offense was holding back its playbook in the preseason, the defense was taking a minimalist approach. But there have been signs that the Jets are preparing schemes in which Vilma will become more active than he was last year, when he received a steady dose of offensive linemen while playing inside linebacker in the new 3-4 system. Even though they haven't unveiled them yet, the Jets will use Vilma from an array of angles and positions, expanding his "inside" linebacker territory from between the guards to between the sidelines.

"It's so bland and basic for the preseason, there's only so much you can do and only so much that the coaches are going to show," Vilma said. "The tackles are going to come."

They didn't always last year, when his production fell by almost a third. But if things turn around, like everything from 2006, that might not be worth remembering.

Five Important Questions: Jets

September 9, 2007

Will Thomas Jones rush for a third straight 1,200-yard season?

Truth is, he won't need to. The Jets traded for Jones to run for big yardage, yes, but he's also there to make other teams think the Jets will run. Jones will have a solid season despite being slowed by a preseason calf strain, but the Jets still have Leon Washington to scamper and catch passes. Just having Jones as a threat will make the entire offense tougher to defend. This isn't the one-dimensional Bears.

Can Jonathan Vilma find his groove in the 3-4 defense

He led the team in tackles with 116, but saw a 38-percent drop-off from the previous year as he adjusted to his new role in the new scheme. This year, expect coordinator Bob Sutton to get creative and find ways to get the fourth-year inside linebacker more involved. If Vilma struggles, though, the Jets may be faced with a tough decision after the season: Do they keep the player or the system?

Is the Jets' offense surprising anyone this season?

In the NFL, you're only as surprising as the video of last week's game. Yet the Jets and their no-huddle, constant-motion, position-flexible system seemed to catch most opponents off guard. Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said the Jets have been working on a few wrinkles, but after a year of opposition analysis, it may be time to put up rather than put on.

Will Darrelle Revis be as good as advertised?

He could be better. The cornerback, who missed three weeks of training camp with a contract impasse, has looked like a star in his abbreviated preseason and is an early candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year. Even though he was the seventh defensive player drafted in April -- the Jets traded up to snag him at No. 14 -- none of the previous four ROYs have been taken in the top nine of the draft (including Vilma, who won in 2004 after being selected with the 12th pick).

Who will play left guard?

Not Pete Kendall, who was traded to the Redskins after a rabble-rousing summer of discontent. Short-term, he was probably their best option, but they picked up good long-term value in the deal. Adrien Clarke and rookie Jacob Bender were unimpressive during the preseason, leaving the Jets scouring the market for a veteran who can still play at a starting level. But even if they pick someone up, it will take time to get up to speed, meaning the Jets likely will open with Bender. The Patrots' Vince Wilfork's stomach is growling.

Jets' Rhodes ready to become an elite safety

September 9, 2007

: His football teammates call him "Hollywood" because of his acting pursuits. But safety Kerry Rhodes would like to be associated with some other city that starts with the letter H. Like maybe … Honolulu?

A year after a breakout season in which he had 13 pass disruptions, five sacks, four interceptions and three forced fumbles but did not make the Pro Bowl, Rhodes has declared a trip to Hawaii as one of this season's highest hopes.

"That's a goal of mine that I've had since I came here," Rhodes said. "It's not going to be any different now. That'll be a goal of mine from here on out."

Rhodes said he didn't pay much attention to his snub when it occurred, mostly because the Jets were in the middle of a playoff push. But after looking back on 2006, he said he felt he "had a year that was worthy of it." The safeties who went to the Pro Bowl – Bob Sanders, John Lynch and Troy Polamalu – all had name recognition to go along with their stats. Now that Rhodes is becoming a known commodity, his path to all-star game should be easier.

Or, perhaps not.

"The better you get, you're more of a focal point for the other teams," Rhodes said. "They're going to take into account where you are and what you're good at and what you're trying to do. They're going to try to counter you. Your game has to evolve more as they scheme around you."

The toughest part of a breakout year is following it up. Rhodes' good friend on the Jets, linebacker Jonathan Vilma, went through it early in his career.

"Everyone asked me after my first year, after I was Rookie of the Year, how was I going to come back the next year," Vilma said. "Fortunately I went to the Pro Bowl. For Kerry, I'm expecting big things."

Rhodes spent much of his off-season working on his secondary career: acting. He has roles in two upcoming films and also took part in several magazine, fashion and album cover shoots as a model. While Rhodes has been loath to discuss his movie career since training camp began – "I'm here to play football," he says – there is some film work he openly credits with the surge in his career.

As a rookie, Rhodes tried to keep up with Vilma's near-obsessive study of video from games. Rhodes had an OK season, but as the year dragged on and the Jets' record plummeted, his interest in dissecting opponents waned.

"I don't think he was really ready," Vilma said. "I don't think he understood what it meant to be a pro and do it week in and week out. He kind of slacked off at the end, but it was his first go-round and he was a rookie. I understood."

But when Rhodes wanted to return to breaking down film with Vilma at the beginning of 2007, the linebacker needed a commitment. He told Rhodes that they would do it together, but it had to be for the entire season. Rhodes capitulated, and the duo spent several days a week side-by-side going frame-by-frame.

"It's just easier when you know what to expect from the other team and know what possibilities they have in certain formations," Rhodes said. "It can narrow the situations down and it won't be so much on your mind, so that you're just out there playing."

And perhaps he'll be playing in mid-February. Under the bright Pacific sun.

"I've never been to Hawaii," he said. "And I won't go until I'm invited."

Copyright

Archived