No More Mussina.

Barton

We get the 7 day set for the ALDS, so it will likely be this:

Wang - Game 1

Pettitte - Game 2

Clemens - Game 3

Mike F'n Pussina - Game 4 (if necessary)

Wang - Game 5 (if necessary)

VS

Sabathia - Game 1

Carmona - Game 2

Byrd/Westbrook - Game 3

Byrd/Westbrook - Game 4 (if necessary)

Sabathia - Game 5 (if necessary)

This might play to our advantage because Byrd and Westbrook are not very good, otherwise we would have faced Carmona/Sabathia 2X each in an 8 day set.....but Mussina scares the hell out of me in a big spot. He has been absolutely terrible vs good hitting teams this season.

Hughes should get the start game 4, I'm tellin ya.

I didn't realize the best record gets to choose which ALDS series they are in (duration wise).

Sox get a decent break IMO in that it shortens their rotation to three while the Yanks as 124 mentioned likely miss Carmona and CC pitching 4 of the 7 games if it went that long.

The Red Sox chose the eight-day ALDS after clinching home-field advantage with Cleveland's loss Saturday.

They'll begin the series against the Angels on Wednesday, with the Yankees and Indians starting a day later. This means they'll only need three starters in the ALDS, so Tim Wakefield is probably bullpen bound and Jon Lester figures to be left off the roster entirely. The Yankees can't be too upset about the decision. Maybe it will hurt them in the bullpen, but it will be more difficult for the Indians to use both C.C. Sabathia and Fausto Carmona twice.

I didn't realize the best record gets to choose which ALDS series they are in (duration wise).

Sox get a decent break IMO in that it shortens their rotation to three while the Yanks as 124 mentioned likely miss Carmona and CC pitching 4 of the 7 games if it went that long.

The Red Sox chose the eight-day ALDS after clinching home-field advantage with Cleveland's loss Saturday.

They'll begin the series against the Angels on Wednesday, with the Yankees and Indians starting a day later. This means they'll only need three starters in the ALDS, so Tim Wakefield is probably bullpen bound and Jon Lester figures to be left off the roster entirely. The Yankees can't be too upset about the decision. Maybe it will hurt them in the bullpen, but it will be more difficult for the Indians to use both C.C. Sabathia and Fausto Carmona twice.

Bosox need that extra day, as that is a lot of traveling if that series goes 5 games. Yanks get a hugh break, as mentioned above, facing Byrd and Westbrook for 2 of the games, instead of only 1 of them.

Archived