Jets News Articles- 10/16

Kentucky Jet

COLES LOST FOCUS ON BIG MISS

By MARK CANNIZZARO

October 16, 2007 -- Laveranues Coles, who was unable to haul in Chad Pennington's potential game-tying touchdown pass in fourth down late in Sunday's 16-9 loss to the Eagles, said yesterday that he hadn't had the been able to look at a replay "in full length."

Eagles CB Sheldon Brown appeared to just get his hand on the ball before Coles could make the catch.

"There were other plays that I could have made that could have helped us win," Coles said. "That drop toward the end of the game (was one). Coach (Eric Mangini) doesn't think that I could have scored, but I think that I could have. That was probably one of the defining moments in the game . . . If there's anybody that you have to blame or look at saying why we didn't get the victory, it's me."

The drop was a rare miscue for the reliable Coles. What happened?

"I lost total concentration," he said. "In my mind as soon as I saw the ball, I thought I was going to score. I took my eyes off of the ball before I had a chance to run with it."

Asked about reports that the Jets are shopping Pennington with the NFL trade deadline looming today, Mangini called them "ludicrous."

Don't laugh, but there were some positive things to come out of the Jets' latest loss. CB Hank Poteat had an interception, the first of his seven-year NFL career. . . . DE Kenyon Coleman recorded his first sack as a Jet. Bryan Thomas and Dewayne Robertson shared a sack and S Kerry Rhodes got his first of the season. The three sacks matched the Jets' total this season entering the game.

LB Matt Chatham, who has been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since the end of training camp as he recovered from offseason foot surgery, is eligible to come off the PUP list and practice this week, which he will. If he's activated the Jets will have to release a player from the roster. . . . S Erik Coleman, who missed last week's game with a concussion, returned to start against the Eagles, had eight tackles and seemed to come out of the game all right.

NOW WE'LL FIND OUT: MAN OR MANGENIUS ? EYES WIDE SHUT? Eric Mangini is standing by Chad Pennington as his starting quarterback, meaning the coach is spreading blame around for the Jets' 1-5 start. The question is: Can Mangini motivate his team to turn things around? October 16, 2007 -- KELLEN Clemens should be the Jets' starting quarterback Sunday afternoon in Cincinnati. He won't be, which means the honeymoon period Eric Mangini has enjoyed as the Jets' new head coach is officially over. No more flattering cameos on "The Sopranos." No more Mangenius. He's on his own now.

Those calling for Clemens to replace Chad Pennington as the starter should save their voices. Mangini made it clear yesterday he's sticking with Pennington for the indefinite future.

"All decisions are based on what gives you the best chance to win the next game," Mangini said.

Benching Pennington, an eight-year veteran who is 32-26 as a starter, is the popular opinion, judging from the talk shows and e-mails after Sunday's 16-9 loss to the Eagles. Someone's blood should be spilled for a disappointing 1-5 start. Pennington is the target because of six interceptions over the last three games and an inability to get the Jets in the end zone enough against the Eagles. Clemens' big arm and untapped potential could provide the spark this team needs.

Of course, the backup quarterback always becomes the favored son in times like these and it doesn't always turn out as well as Tom Brady replacing Drew Bledsoe or Tony Romo replacing Bledsoe. If Bledsoe were the Jets quarterback, the decision would be easy. In this case making no decision is making a decision - one that could define Mangini's early head coaching career.

The Jets were looking for answers yesterday. They've practiced hard, paid attention to detail, done all the coaches have asked. Yet, they've missed tackles on Sundays, thrown interceptions and dropped passes. They're all but out of the playoff race. Now what?

Pennington could have been sacrificed. Instead, Mangini made the less popular and more difficult choice to stick with him. Whether the leash is shorter is uncertain.

"I'll continue to assess the whole situation," Mangini said, "not just with that position, but with every position."

Keeping Pennington as the starter is a reminder to each player that everyone is to blame. It's starts from management on down. Where was Pete Kendall when the Jets needed one yard to help tie the game? Fundamental breakdowns, including missed tackles, and ineffective play calling, are on the coaches.

"There are a lot of different areas where we need to get better," Mangini said. "It's not a one-person issue. It's a collective issue."

Now we'll find out what kind of coach Mangini really is. He's 11-11 overall and facing his first crisis, though you wouldn't know it from his calm and in-charge demeanor yesterday. He was peppered with questions about Pennington's status, but hardly flinched at the darts thrown by the media.

Mangini said he has an open-door policy and is willing to listen if any of his players has a gripe.

"I'd welcome that because I'm sure their input would be very important and I'd love to hear from them personally," he said.

So far no players have paid him a visit.

With three winnable games - at Cincinnati and home against the Bills and Redskins - Pennington and the Jets can start to salvage something from their season before a bye week. It's a critical stretch that could prove whether Mangini can motivate this team in its darkest hour. Losing the locker room in his second season as a head coach could doom his tenure. If the Jets can stay together and win, they may learn something about themselves and their coach that could make them a stronger team in the future.

"It's not important when adversity strikes," Mangini said. "It's important how you deal with it. As a group we're going to deal with adversity by continuing to correct the things we need to correct and working on the things we need to work at."

For now Mangini is no longer Mangenius. Now we'll find out what kind of coach he really is.

george.willis@nypost.com

BACKING CHAD

MANGINI, 'MATES STAND BY PENNINGTON

By MARK CANNIZZARO

TEAM UNITY: Chad Pennington (above) gets a consoling hug from center Nick Mangold as D'Brickashaw Ferguson looks downcast during the Jets' 16-9 loss to the Eagles on Sunday as fans call for backup...

October 16, 2007 -- Much to the certain vexation of understandably anxious Jets fans, Eric Mangini continued to show his resolute support for Chad Pennington, and several Jets players reacted rather strongly in support of their slumping quarterback.

After Sunday's loss to the Eagles, Mangini said "no" when asked if he was considering going with backup quarterback Kellen Clemens. Yesterday he reiterated that sentiment.

"(Pennington's) the starting quarterback," Mangini said. "I'll continue to assess the whole situation, not just with that position, but with every position."

Mangini's stay-the-course strategy and insistence that Pennington is only a part of the problem with the team has some key players inside the Jets locker room encouraged.

"One guy isn't going to create a spark for the entire team," Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "The spark comes from within each individual in this locker room. If the other guys aren't giving a spark, that one guy doesn't make a difference at all.

"I feel good with Chad behind center and a lot of guys feel the same way. If we make that change I really don't know how the guys will react."

Cotchery said he believes Mangini's support of Pennington will help the Jets turn around this 1-5 mess of a season, which continues Sunday at Cincinnati.

"Players want to see . . . a coach sticking behind a guy," Cotchery said. "I think we will feed off of that and get over this hump. . . . The quarterback position is looked upon very heavily, criticized a lot. He's the main guy on offense.

"The core guys on this team - this is the fourth year I've been here with Chad - we're familiar with him. We know how he leads. We know how he responds to adversity.

"Kellen showed what he's capable of. He came in and played real well in the Baltimore game. It's just a situation where we're comfortable with Chad. We know his capabilities and we know what he can do on the field."

Receiver Laveranues Coles echoed Cotchery's sentiments.

"We as a whole team should be taking the brunt of (the criticism)," Coles said. "We are all in this together. . . . One guy can't go out there and play the game by himself. Therefore, there shouldn't be one guy that's taking the heat."

Tight end Chris Baker also said Pennington shouldn't bear the blame alone.

"We all have responsibility for it," Baker said. "We're not scoring enough points . . . It's the entire offense, it's not just (Pennington)."

Clemens finds himself in the sensitive position of supporting Pennington and the team, but at the same time, wanting to play.

"Chad Pennington is a competitor who wants to win and pours his heart and soul into preparing and trying to make this team win," Clemens said. "This team has a lot of support and a lot of respect for Chad."

Mangini is at an intricate and delicate crossroads with Pennington and he seemingly has drawn a line in the Field Turf in an effort to show which direction he feels is best. For now, at least.

Throngs of Jets fans are ready to send Pennington to the showers for the rest of the season and bring Clemens in with the hope that he not only provides a spark to their sputtering offense but also shows he's the quarterback of the future. Pennington, after all, has thrown six interceptions in the last three games - all losses. And, in those three games he has led the Jets to three touchdowns and four field goals: 34 points.

When one of Bill Parcells' often-used sayings - "A quarterback is judged by how often he gets his team into the end zone." - was mentioned to Mangini in an effort to speculate whether Pennington is getting the job done, the coach deftly threw a reversal on the reporter.

"The other day I think (Pennington) was asked (on TV) about the quarterback change (and) he said, 'It's not like going to AAMCO. You can't just take out the sparkplug,' " Mangini said. "So I say it's not like going to AAMCO. You can't just take out the sparkplug."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

RUN DOWN AT END

October 16, 2007 -- QUARTERBACKS D

Chad Pennington (11-21, 128 yards, 1 INT) wasn't sharp and didn't take advan tage of the improved running game to com plement his performance, though some of his play- action worked well.

RUNNING BACKS B+

Thomas Jones (24-130, 1-11 receiving) fi nally got untracked, setting an early tone and rushing for 96 in the first half. Leon Washington (2-8, 1-5) had a quiet game.

RECEIVERS C

Laveranues Coles (1-27) had an unchar acteristic drop at a key time and couldn't catch the potential game-tying pass. Jerri cho Cotchery caught five passes for 71 yards and had a nice reverse for 14 yards and a first down.

TIGHT ENDS C

Chris Baker (2-12) and Sean Ryan were good in the running game, though more passes to Baker are always warranted.

OFFENSIVE LINE C

Pennington was sacked three times, but run blocking was excellent, particularly in the first half. The line couldn't get Penning ton one yard on third-and-one late in the game.

DEFENSIVE LINE C-

NT Dewayne Robertson (five tackles, two QB hurries, half sack) was active. DE Ken yon Coleman had three tackles and his first sack as a Jet. Run defense was suspect.

LINEBACKERS C-

Jonathan Vilma had seven tackles and two pass breakups. Bryan Thomas had two tackles, a half sack and two hurries. Run defense wasn't sufficient.

SECONDARY D

The worst play of the game on defense came when S Eric Smith and CB Andre Dyson failed to tackle WR Kevin Curtis, who went for a 75-yard TD on the first series. CB Darrelle Revis had nine tackles, but like the rest of the group, gave up too many key pass plays.

SPECIAL TEAMS B

> Washington had a 51-yard kickoff return, averaged 37.3 yards on three returns and had a 15-yard punt return. The Eagles av eraged 17.5 yards on kickoff returns but had a 32-yard punt return on which David Harris missed a tackle. Wallace Wright had two tackles and downed a punt near the goal line.

KICKING GAME C

K Mike Nugent (three FGs) missed a key 44-yard FG after a low James Dearth snap - one of two poor snaps. P Ben Graham averaged 37.3 yards gross and 26.7 yards net.

COACHING D

Big problems with the decision by Eric Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to QB sneak on third- and- 1 at the end of the game instead of running Jones. Credit the coaches for improvement in the dormant running game by starting with it and sticking with it.

Eric Mangini puts Chad Pennington on notice

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, October 16th 2007, 4:00 AM

It's still Chad Pennington's team, but he's on notice.

Eric Mangini reiterated yesterday that Pennington still is the starting quarterback, but his latest vote of confidence included a first-time disclaimer. "I'll continue to assess the whole situation, not just with that position, but with every position," Mangini said.

If Pennington doesn't emerge from his funk Sunday in Cincinnati, where the Jets meet the Bengals (1-4), it likely will result in a change to Kellen Clemens. Mangini is extending every benefit of the doubt to Pennington, who has six interceptions in the last three games. In that span, he has led only three touchdown drives.

But Mangini has steadfastly maintained that the problems go beyond Pennington. Quoting a favorite line from Bill Parcells, Mangini said, "It's not like going to AAMCO; you just can't take out the sparkplug."

Pennington seems to have the support of the locker room. "I feel good with Chad behind center," WR Jerricho Cotchery said. "A lot of guys feel the same way."

NO DEAL: With the league trading deadline today, there are wild rumors about Pennington being dealt. It's believed the Jets have received inquiries from quarterback-needy teams, but he's not going anywhere. "Ludicrous," Mangini said of the speculation. ... Jets caught a bad break on Donovan McNabb's 75-yard TD pass to Kevin Curtis, the only touchdown in Sunday's 16-9 loss to the Eagles. A replay clearly shows the ball wasn't snapped until the play clock had expired.

SNEAK ATTACK: Mangini, defending the decision to try a QB sneak on third-and-1 at the end of the game, said the Jets had a "pretty impressive" track record on those plays. On four previous third-and-1 sneaks this season, the Jets made a first down each time. On handoffs to Thomas Jones, they're 4-for-5 in those situations. ... Explaining to fourth-down pass to Laveranues Coles, Mangini said, "The success rate of that play over time has been extremely high. It's arguably one of the best receivers in the league being thrown to by a guy who has great chemistry with him." TE Sean Ryan was open in the far corner of the end zone.

It's time for Eric Mangini to speak up about quarterbacks

Eric Mangini's play-calling was openly criticized on Sunday by ...

... tight end Chris Baker, who a day later clammed up after being scolded.

Jets starting QBWho should start for the Jets in Week 7 against the Bengals?

Kellen Clemens

Chad Pennington

Eric Mangini says the door to his office is always open, but none of his players has yet taken him up on the offer to discuss their concerns or grievances.

You can't really blame them. It would be very tough to converse at any length or depth with Mangini, who speaks only in Martian.

This is not necessarily a bad language for a winning football coach to employ, and it worked out just fine for the guy last fall. Mangini successfully broke down Jet World into tidy aphorisms and tiny film segments. He was never an observer of the big picture. Nobody cared. He won far more games than expected. He smiled slyly. Mangini was celebrated as an eccentric genius. The lousy schedule helped.

Now, however, the Jets have lost their way right out of the 2007 NFL season at 1-5 and it probably would be a good time for Mangini to switch over to common ground, like English, in order to address important issues such as the quarterback situation.

That's not going to happen, apparently. Mangini isn't wired to make much sense in any realm outside the locker room, and has great trouble seeing beyond the next big lineman on the next big weekend. It's a bit premature to condemn Mangini for this, but he may just turn out to be terrible at losing.

It is never a good thing to experience a lost season, but there are still good and bad ways of navigating through such a year. Coming off a Cinderella rookie campaign, Mangini happens to be in a uniquely secure position to ride out the storm. Without actually dumping the last 10 games, he can use them constructively to determine whether he has a future No.1 quarterback in Kellen Clemens.

That is not how he thinks. Mangini talked yesterday in phrases like "inherently competitive people," "return on investment" and "collective issues." And when Mangini spoke directly on the fate of Chad Pennington, he seemed to anoint Pennington as the starting quarterback, forever and ever.

Mangini said it was "ludicrous" to think of trading Pennington.

"I'm pretty sure he's the most accurate passer in NFL history, or second," the coach said. Then Mangini said he would not make changes on the field in order to plan for the next season.

"All decisions are based on what gives you the best chance to win the next game," Mangini said.

So there you have it. Pennington is the best quarterback to beat the Bengals on Sunday, and he probably will be the best quarterback to beat the Bills the Sunday after that. This may go on until there is no season left to find out anything about Clemens.

The problem with this philosophy is painfully obvious. The Jets are already done playing for a title this season, if only because they are stuck in the AFC, where 9-7 is not going to win you a wild card spot. With two or three unwinnable games still remaining on their schedule, the Jets are more likely to finish the season at 6-10 than 8-8.

Again, Mangini doesn't think like that. You never really know what he thinks like, because of that Martian thing. His other-world brain finally lured him into a degree of trouble against the Eagles, with his play-calling near the goal line. The quarterback sneak on third down was the wrong call, with the wrong quarterback.

After that defeat on Sunday, tight end Chris Baker raised the first public voice of dissent on the team, suggesting that Thomas Jones should have been handed the ball on third-and-1, instead of the frail Pennington.

In the Jets' locker room at Hofstra yesterday, Baker didn't expand on his gripes, but he didn't apologize or back down, either.

"I said what I had to say," Baker said. "I've got to leave that comment to yesterday."

Those of us who have been around New York sports know that once the seeds of discontent are planted, they never require long to take root.

Mangini needs to adjust very quickly to these very different and difficult circumstances. He needs to make 2007 a stepping stone toward 2008. If he doesn't seize the moment, adding purpose to the defeats, then the losing season will be frustrating for everyone. He will have frittered away key audition time, based on false hope and those incomprehensible Martian-isms.

Pennington starts, now and forever, he seemed to be saying yesterday. From the early look of things, Mangini may not be the coach you want coaching a losing season.

fjbondy@netscape.net

Struggling Jets rally around slumping Pennington

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

October 16, 2007

Maybe Kellen Clemens isn't the answer to the Jets' problems. After all, he wasn't even quick enough to make it out of the locker room yesterday.

"So close," he said, grinning, after getting within a few paces of the exit as a gaggle of reporters and TV cameras swarmed and blockaded him like a doomed chess piece. For the second day in a row, the backup quarterback who has not played in a month was surrounded and peppered with questions. That's never a good situation.

When will you play? Can you play? Are you ready to play?

Everyone has an opinion on whether Chad Pennington should remain as the starter, a complex equation that includes factors such as the Jets' record (an unsightly 1-5), the quarterback's recent performances (two touchdown passes and six interceptions in the three-game skid) and his history (a career 65.4 completion percentage and just under 200 passing yards per game).

Eric Mangini stated his opinion yesterday - the one that carries the most weight - by reaffirming Pennington's status as starting quarterback. He even called suggestions that Pennington could be traded before this afternoon's deadline "ludicrous."

But still, what once were whispers have grown into full-blown media scrums around Clemens.

"Whatever is going on outside the walls of this locker room, we're not really too concerned with," said Clemens, one of many Jets trying to block out the controversy that faces them almost daily. "I only see you guys about 30 minutes a day, and the rest of it is a lot of hard work and film study."

Receiver Jerricho Cotchery said the players talk about various topics throughout the day, and sometimes those conversations stem from outside influences. But he said he's never spoken to anyone about Pennington's job security.

"I think it's kind of a sensitive topic because everyone loves Chad in this building," Cotchery said. "I don't know how guys feel about talking about that."

Cotchery, for one, put his allegiance in Pennington while acknowledging the possibility of Clemens' imminent arrival.

"I feel good with Chad behind the center; a lot of guys feel the same way," he said. "If we make that change, I really don't know how the guys will react."

Pennington, who became a starter for the Jets in 2002 by replacing an ineffective Vinny Testaverde, has held the title of starter since, at least in the minds of his teammates. Even when he missed significant time with injuries, even when Mangini put him through a four-way competition in training camp last year, the players looked to Pennington for leadership. He is the soul of the Jets and a living example of Mangini's preachings about what hard work, toughness and cerebral preparation can produce.

But in the last three weeks, they've produced nothing but losses. The offense hasn't scored a touchdown in six quarters. Entering last night, the Jets were 30th in the NFL in offense, 24th in scoring. Even the woeful, winless Rams gain more yards per game than the Jets. Pennington has been at the center of that ineffectiveness with his six interceptions.

"We all have a responsibility for it," tight end Chris Baker said. "It's not just him, it's the entire offense."

And the entire offense seems to want Pennington, even if they don't talk about it openly.

"The core guys on this team have been here. We're familiar with him. We know how he leads and we know how he responds to adversity," Cotchery said. "He's a guy we're comfortable with. We're comfortable with him, period."

It was a period that ended the sentiment. It will not end the story.

Sunday

Jets at Cincinnati

4:05 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WABC

(770), WEPN (1050)

Jets' Baker stands by criticism of play-calling

October 16, 2007

Chris Baker didn't reiterate his postgame criticism of the Jets' play-calling in their final snaps of Sunday's loss. But he didn't rescind it, either.

"I said what I had to say," he said yesterday. "It was something I was feeling."

On third-and-1 at the Eagles' 4 late in the game and trailing 16-9, the Jets ran a quarterback sneak that went nowhere, followed by an incomplete fade pass to Laveranues Coles. Baker was asked after the game if he was surprised by the calls.

"You've got a guy who had damn near 100 yards rushing in the first half and we don't give him the ball on third-and-1," he was quoted as saying, referring to Thomas Jones and his 130-yard performance.

Eric Mangini tried to dismiss the comments as a postgame exhale, calling the period after games "an emotional time, and people are going to have emotional reactions." But Baker's comments ruffled the coach, and he was called on the carpet for them.

Asked to clarify his remarks, Baker said: "That's already gotten me in trouble, so I don't want to go back to those things."

Good point, Chris

So what were the Jets thinking when calling a sneak and a low fade while ignoring their most productive player in the game's critical possession?

"We go through that ahead of time," Mangini said, insinuating that those plays were scripted during the week. "We choose the plays we like based on those situations."

Although Mangini disagreed with the number, replays showed nine Eagles in the box for the sneak. The Jets ran it twice earlier on short yardage, and several Eagles said they were expecting it. On the fourth-down play, Coles and cornerback Sheldon Brown were the only two players on their side of the field. Chad Pennington took a shotgun snap and almost immediately lofted a timing pass that Brown broke up. On the other side of the field, Jerricho Cotchery drew double coverage, leaving Sean Ryan open in the corner of the end zone.

Jet streams

LB Matt Chatham (foot) will begin practicing this week. He was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list and will have three weeks in which to be elevated to the 53-man active roster ... Mangini seemed to blame Mike Nugent's missed field goal on the low snap by James Dearth. "Snapping has been a real plus, and this week it wasn't," he said ... The trading deadline is 4 p.m. today, and WR Justin McCareins could be dealt.

1-5 Jets know road will be long and uphill

October 16, 2007

The Jets are starting to realize exactly how steep their climb back to respectability will be.

"After going through the team meeting today with Coach, it's one of those things that you sense," Laveranues Coles said when asked if the Jets feel like a 1-5 team. "You never have a true feeling of how bad things are until you see the look in your head coach's eyes."

The Jets pride themselves on having the same approach, win or lose. Lately it's been a lot of the latter. And although the approach to the work may be the same, the mood certainly has been altered after three straight defeats.

"These past couple of weeks have been very different," Jerricho Cotchery said. "Early on, when we were 1-3, we came in that Monday knowing that we had a long season ahead and knowing that we could get things turned around pretty quickly. We had guys still relaxed and joking around and things like that. These past couple of weeks, guys have been like, 'You know, we've got to get this thing rolling.'"

Beating the Bengals on Sunday would make the Jets 2-5. That's not exactly the mark of a team looking to book a game in January. But it would be a start.

"It'd be refreshing," Cotchery said. "It'd be something that we really need, to be honest. To get that result that we've really wanted, it'd be huge. We've been close, we've been close, last week we were closer. But if we get over that hump and get that taste in our mouth again, that's what starts everything."

Even backup quarterback Kellen Clemens was eager to point out the significance of a win Sunday (while staying clear of questions about his own possible participation in that game).

"It makes it a lot easier to come into work on Monday," Clemens said of winning. "It doesn't take away from the fact that we've dug ourselves a hole a little bit, but it would definitely lighten the mood and get some positive vibes going."

Jets' Mangini starting to take some heat

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 16, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - He was dubbed "Mangenius" last season but given the fickle nature of pro sports and, more important, his struggling team, Jets coach Eric Mangini seems to have fallen off the A-list of football brainiacs.

The Jets (1-5) have lost three straight and Mangini is facing the first sustained adversity of his two seasons in New York. He is being questioned for not using 130-yard rusher Thomas Jones on either third- or fourth-and-1 from the Eagles' 4-yard line in Sunday's 16-9 defeat, and he's being grilled for sticking with veteran quarterback Chad Pennington over second-year pro Kellen Clemens.

"Any season is going to have challenges, any season is going to have adversity," Mangini said yesterday. "It's not important in terms of when adversity strikes. It's important how you deal with adversity."

The Jets had just one, two-game losing streak as they finished 10-6 and earned an AFC wild-card berth in 2006.

"It's always exciting to be faced with the challenge and be able to work through that challenge," Mangini said. "That's important to do."

So far, though, Mangini has not been able to solve the Jets' sluggish offense, ranked 30th in the NFL, or their sieve-like defense, ranked 28th.

But he was defiant yesterday that Pennington's unsuccessful quarterback sneak on third down - video replays showed the Eagles brought nine players to the line of scrimmage - and Pennington's incomplete fade to Laveranues Coles in the end zone were plays both he and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer were extremely comfortable with because they had been practiced during the week.

And he was adamant that switching quarterbacks wasn't a magic elixir.

"I thought (Pennington's) play-action fakes were very good this week," Mangini said. "He's the starting quarterback. I'll continue to assess the whole situation, not just with that position but with every position."

But even if those outside the Jets' offices are clamoring for the stronger-armed Clemens to replace the more-accurate Pennington, the players say Mangini's loyalty to his veteran starter is a plus in the locker room.

"The spark comes from within each individual in this locker room, if the other guys aren't giving us a spark, that one guy doesn't make a difference at all," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, adding he wasn't sure how a switch to Clemens would be perceived. "The players want to see a coach sticking behind a guy. We'll feed off of that."

At the same time, Mangini came under criticism from his own locker room after Sunday's loss. A visibly upset Jones, when asked about not getting the ball after being stopped for no gain on second down, said that wasn't his call.

And tight end Chris Baker said, "The guy's running the ball all over the place and he doesn't get it. No, it doesn't surprise me."

"After the game is an emotional time and people are going to have emotional reactions," Mangini said. "The one thing I feel very good about is where my office is located. Any of those players are more than welcome to come in and talk to me."

No takers so far, though.

Still, Mangini made it clear to his players yesterday that he's displeased with the 1-5 start.

"After going through the team meeting, it is one of those things that you sense," Coles said. "You never have a true feeling of how bad things are until you see the look in your head coach's eyes."

Notes: Baker was not fined for his post-game comments. But while he did not back off the statements, Bakers said it had been made clear to him they were "not the Jets' way." "I said what I had to say," Baker said. "It was something I was feeling. I've got to leave that comment to yesterday. ... " Linebacker Matt Chatham, a special teams captain last season who has been on the physically-unable-to-perform list since the start of training camp with a foot injury, is eligible to begin practicing tomorrow and Mangini said that would be the case. Once Chatham does begin practicing, the Jets have three weeks to decide whether to place him on their 53-man roster or on season-ending injured reserve.

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets' blog at www.jets.lohudblogs.com.

Mangini sticking with Pennington

Coach defends his QB, play-calling

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The day after yet another late-game meltdown by the Jets, coach Eric Mangini said he wouldn't have changed Sunday's play-calling and has no plans to change his quarterback.

Mangini said he'd call the same quarterback sneak on third-and-one from the Philadelphia 4-yard line, although the Eagles had nine players in the box to stop the run and Chad Pennington was stopped cold. He said he'd call the same fade pattern to wide receiver Laveranues Coles on fourth-and-one, even though it had only a 50-50 chance to succeed.

Mangini all but said giving the ball to running back Thomas Jones (24 carries, season-high 130 yards) on those two downs never crossed his mind.

Perhaps most importantly, Mangini said Pennington will be his starting quarterback on Sunday when the Jets (1-5) meet the Bengals (1-4) in Cincinnati. He should be able to move the ball against a Bengals defense that is ranked 30th in the NFL in total defense, allowing 393.2 yards per game. Cincinnati has lost four straight.

The Kellen Clemens Era will have to wait, even though Pennington has thrown six interceptions in the past three games, all losses. Mangini called rumors of the Jets possibly trading Pennington before today's 4 p.m. trading deadline "ludicrous."

Pennington, in the midst of the worst slump of his eight-year career, completed just 11 of 21 passes for 128 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in the Jets' 16-9 loss to the Eagles on Sunday at Giants Stadium. He couldn't deliver a game-tying touchdown despite having a second-and-one at the 4-yard line with 4:46 left to play.

Asked what impressed him about Pennington's play against the Eagles -- the Jets had just one sustained drive that resulted in three points -- Mangini said he liked Pennington's play-action fakes.

In fact, Mangini wouldn't even acknowledge Pennington has made some poor decisions in recent games, throwing into coverage.

"There were some plays he wasn't happy with, and he'd like to have back, and we'd all like to have back," Mangini said yesterday. "He's the starting quarterback."

Repeatedly, Mangini tried to deflect questions about Pennington to other areas where the Jets had breakdowns, namely the 75-yard catch-and-run by Eagles wide receiver Kevin Curtis after missed tackles by cornerback Andre Dyson and safety Eric Smith.

Mangini said he's not concerned about losing the locker room because he has "high character" guys, and the move to stay with Pennington appears to be a popular one. Players shot down the notion that the strong-armed Clemens could provide a spark to an offense that has accounted for just 10 points in the past two games.

"The players want to see that. They want to see a coach sticking behind a guy," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "We'll all feed off of that. A lot of guys go through things... One guy isn't going to create a spark. The spark comes from within each individual."

Added wide receiver Laveranues Coles: "We're all making mistakes. You can't just point the blame at him. And I think that's what coach is saying by sticking with (Pennington). If you sit him down, you're putting everything on him."

Mangini again defended the calls on third and fourth down, saying the quarterback sneak and fade pattern to Coles have been successful all season. Pennington has repeatedly quick snapped for first downs on third-and-short and all four of Coles' touchdowns have come on fade patterns.

"With all those situations, those got-to-have-it situations, we practice those throughout the course of the week," he said. "So if you're in a critical situation, you're not just pulling a play from the street that you haven't really practiced. You have a gut feeling on it."

TE Chris Baker was reprimanded but not fined by the organization for his postgame comments about the Jets not giving Jones the ball on a third-and-one. He said, "You've got a guy who had damn near 100 yards in the first half, and we don't give him the ball on third-and-one?" Mangini said emotions are high after games and his office door is always open if a player has a problem....

LB Mat Chatman (foot) is eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list this week and may start practicing tomorrow.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

CONTINUED 1 | 2 Next

Sullivan: Time's come to pass on Chad

Monday, October 15, 2007

By TARA SULLIVAN

RECORD COLUMNIST

EAST RUTHERFORD -- This nifty job of lawyering by Eric Mangini was expected Sunday afternoon, the coach's defense in the case of Chad Pennington a noble, if misguided effort. The real problem for the Jets, however, is not merely that their quarterback is in need of such defense, but that he is fighting enough opponents to fill a jury.

Are the opposing defenses his biggest foes, because they can shut him out of the touchdown race the way the Eagles' defense did Sunday at Giants Stadium?

Is it his Jets' receiving corps, guys unable to win the rare one-on-one battles in which they find themselves, most painfully on a final fourth-quarter, fourth-down play that could have tied the game? Or is it Pennington himself, his notorious weak arm so predictably vulnerable to theft that the Jets no longer can overcome the liability?

Of course Mangini was left to stand at a lectern and answer questions about his quarterback Sunday. The Jets had just fallen to 1-5 on the season, their 16-9 loss to the Eagles a field-goal fest just listless enough to wonder if it isn't time to make the switch to backup quarterback Kellen Clemens. Mangini isn't there yet, his cliche-button still stuck on repeat as he rattled off how hard his team worked, how much it prepared, and above all, how the loss is not the quarterback's fault.

"It's a situation again where it comes down to the full group," Mangini said in explanation of his immediate "no" to the notion of a change in the pocket. "Chad had nothing to do with a [75-yard] touchdown on a missed tackle on a slant play. There are things that we have to do as a group and it doesn't come down to one player. There's plenty of improvement for all of us."

On that last point, there is no argument, but when you take into account where the Jets stand, that their current season already has lost its playoff relevance, what else do you change? Sure, no one player takes all the blame, but no other position change can shake a team out of a funk the way it can at quarterback.

And make no mistake, the Jets' passing game is in crisis. There was no blaming the absence of a rushing game Sunday -- Thomas Jones gained 130 yards on 24 carries. There was no blaming the defense either

Eric Mangini puts Chad Pennington on notice

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

It's still Chad Pennington's team, but he's on notice.

Eric Mangini reiterated yesterday that Pennington still is the starting quarterback, but his latest vote of confidence included a first-time disclaimer. "I'll continue to assess the whole situation, not just with that position, but with every position," Mangini said.

If Pennington doesn't emerge from his funk Sunday in Cincinnati, where the Jets meet the Bengals (1-4), it likely will result in a change to Kellen Clemens. Mangini is extending every benefit of the doubt to Pennington, who has six interceptions in the last three games. In that span, he has led only three touchdown drives.

But Mangini has steadfastly maintained that the problems go beyond Pennington. Quoting a favorite line from Bill Parcells, Mangini said, "It's not like going to AAMCO; you just can't take out the sparkplug."

Pennington seems to have the support of the locker room. "I feel good with Chad behind center," WR Jerricho Cotchery said. "A lot of guys feel the same way."

NO DEAL: With the league trading deadline today, there are wild rumors about Pennington being dealt. It's believed the Jets have received inquiries from quarterback-needy teams, but he's not going anywhere. "Ludicrous," Mangini said of the speculation. ... Jets caught a bad break on Donovan McNabb's 75-yard TD pass to Kevin Curtis, the only touchdown in Sunday's 16-9 loss to the Eagles. A replay clearly shows the ball wasn't snapped until the play clock had expired.

SNEAK ATTACK: Mangini, defending the decision to try a QB sneak on third-and-1 at the end of the game, said the Jets had a "pretty impressive" track record on those plays. On four previous third-and-1 sneaks this season, the Jets made a first down each time. On handoffs to Thomas Jones, they're 4-for-5 in those situations. ... Explaining to fourth-down pass to Laveranues Coles, Mangini said, "The success rate of that play over time has been extremely high. It's arguably one of the best receivers in the league being thrown to by a guy who has great chemistry with him." TE Sean Ryan was open in the far corner of the end zone.

When it rains it pours, I didn't know this was true. UGH!

Archived