Offensive Issues

Irish Jet

OK, very rarely do I create threads but here goes:

On offence, I have heard people say we are a QB switch from being a great offence, we really aren't.

This offence still has a lot of holds, mainly on the OL, the hole at LG is gaping (Cheers Pete), which is why I hope we have Faneca playing for us this time next season (now that would be awesome). D'Brick at LT is improved but is still pitiful in run blocking and is liable to mental mistakes (False starts, holding etc), the right side is way too inconsistent and as the main unit in the offence it really needs to improve for us to do anything.

At RB I think were good, but not great. Leon is a good change of pace back, nothing more. TJ is solid but unfortunatley he is getting on for a RB. McFadden could be an option but becasue of the holes in our sad excuse for a D I cant see taht happenning.

WR is the strength of the offence. Coles and Cotch are a good if not great tandem, they are great at getting open in the short/intermediate passing game and have great hands. Brad Smith coming along is a great sign, we all know that he brngs a lot more to the table than just recieving and overall is just a great prospect. The main problem at the WR is glaring though, the lack of a deep threat. They suit playing with Chad but when a strong armed QB such as Clemens comes in it would be great to have a WR who can consistently stretch the field. Coles, throughout his career, despite having the speed, has not been a burner by any stretch of the imagination. He is a quick tough guy who will get open short, take hits and gain YAC, same for Cotchery. It isnt a necessity to have a deep threat but it would be nice to have with Clemens/Other, nowhere near top of the priority list though.

At TE I think were about average, Baker is solid (and hopefully not in trouble) and is especially good in the red-zone, we dont have anything spectacular here and although again it would be nice to have, is not a top priority.

Finally the QB. Mr. Popular himself, Chad Pennington, should not be the starter for too much longer (TBH he shouldnt be starting now), Like I've said I still like the guy and he will always be one of my fave players but its simply time to move on. A fresh start would do both the Jets and Chad Pennington a world of good.I think we should see what we have in Clemens before its too late. Worst case scenario: Clemens is awful/gets injured then we draft/sign a QB and start Clemens again next season with a backup/rookie ready to fill in.

Hopefully that wont happen and Kellen shows taht he is the future. I think he could be a special player and should have the talent around him next season to succeed. My main problem with Kellen from watching him in College, Pre-Season and vs Baltimore is that he seems to be a QB who relies on rythym. Reminds me of a young Matt Hasselbeck, when he got hot he was elite, however when he struggled it got ugly. I hope he will (like Matt) become more consistent and can indeed develop into the elite QB we have craved for so long.

As for Chad, I think he should be traded next year. He wont want to be a backup and IMO when given a fresh start with another team I think he will be able to revive his career. I still think he is very good QB who at the moment seems to be lacking confidence. He looks like a QB in need of a new start, a new system and new players. This offence looks stale at the moment, but Chad has shown flashes and IMO enough for a team to take a chance on him, hopefully he wont hurt his chances of a good future in the upcoming games. He is a hard worker and a very classy guy. I do wish the best for him but right now Clemens must get his chance, whether he's the answer or not, whether he's impressed Mangini or not, we have to see what we have. Now.

Overall, I cant see Kellen turning this offence into an elite offence or even a very good one, at least not immediately. He may improve it but I'm not expecting much more at the moment. Right now there are bigger offensive needs though. LG and the right side of the line need to be sorted before we do anything, Get me an Alan Faneca Tangini. Do it!!

I would get into the D but I'm feeling a little sick and dont want to push myself.

Anyways, lets all hope our issues can be resolved and that sooner rather than later we can be a powerhouse in this league.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!

Archived