The Jets refused to give up the “Mr Irrelevant” pick in the Zach Wilson trade

Huh? You mean Woody and this franchise love flashy bullsh*t? I'm... shocked

More than anything, this raises the question for me - did Denver WANT 257 more than 256? Given the slight bump in media coverage and profits it could provide, I actually wouldn't be surprised. The Jets sure did waste their chance to make a mover over dramatic pick though. No one is writing a drama piece for the NYT about the "struggles to achieve their dreams" of an Alabama defender lol

• Upvote 1

Attention whores. All that and they panic and take a safety 

so jetsy 

lol

i thought it was interesting during 1JD how simple and quick the pick negotiations are. It’s not exactly like in the draft day movie. It was like do you want to go back to 72? No? Cool.  Next call. 

So the broncos wanted Mr. Irrelevant pick and the Jets said no 

The difference in pay being pick 257 and a top UDFA is pretty wide 

4 year deal 

No. 253-256 (comp): $4.1 million (Spotrac) | $4.1 million (Over The Cap)

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure whoever had that pick in the JN Mock also refused to trade it.  The media attention that comes with it and the chip on the shoulder of the prospect you take arguably has more value than anything you'd get back in a trade.

Like what would we have gotten instead from Denver?  Surely they weren't giving us a 5th instead if we added that pick.  

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

If Denver asked for that one in particular then I don't think this is just a Jets thing.  I'd be willing to bet most teams would have preferred that pick.  Honestly, I'd probably prefer that pick as well.  One is a guy that's going to get cut, the other is a guy that's going to get cut but also a decent amount of media coverage.  Either way you're gonna get the same guy that you want.  If you're picking at pick 257 and the guy you wanted goes 256, I feel like the odds of that happening are similar to being struck by lightning.

Puts us over the edge for offseason champs 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So we insisted on keeping the lower pick of the last two picks.   Yeah that is Jetsy as hell.

Meh there's two sides to that coin: Denver requested the Mr. Irrelevant pick themselves, so it's hardly a failing unique to the Jets or Woody.

That said, what'd be Jetsy is Nick Gargiulo turning into a reliable starting guard for 5-10 years.

• Upvote 3

The guy the Broncos took with the 256th pick - Nick Gargiulo - would actually have made a really nice Mr Irrelevant.

Guy from New York who can play any spot on the Oline and be a valuable depth option. 

Rated as a 6th round pick by NFL.com and probably has a decent chance of sticking in Denver as a versatile reserve.

Would the Jets have taken him if he was there? We'll never know.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm gonna take a page from your book Larz and just quote several of your posts at once, because I think it's fitting for this topic:

People fake mad about this is comedy gold lol

So we fake mad about this?

What we fake mad about now?

I’m so fake mad about this!

What are we fake mad about today?

I’m so fake mad about this that I’m going to type a comment!

Knock it off, you made me laugh to the point I peed a little. uhhh, well, yeah, uh a lot. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

Let's be fair - the trade ended up being a pick swap. Are they trying to say Denver wanted 257 outright in the deal? If so, JD made out better by pick swapping #256 for Denver 6th.

Saw a similar thing happen in the 1JD draft episode when JD was negotiating the trade-up for Corley: he initially offered a pick-swap with Carolina (4th-5th rounders I think) but they wanted the 5th rounder (157 ?) outright (which we ended up giving them).

I actually think that the Jets’ 2024 Mr. Irrelevant is going to make the team, or at least the PS.

I wanted the Jets to take Jaden Hicks, who they could have with one of their traded picks.  Hicks did not have a RAS score because he did not sufficiently test, but his explosion score was good.  

Jayden Key, Mr. Irrelevant, played at Alabama and had a RAS of 9.11, with a great explosion score.  

My guess is that JD preferred Key over Hicks anyway.    Watch Key push for a roster spot. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean. This is as Jets as it gets if it’s true lol

Why should they?  They had 256 and 257 offers the potential of huge marketing dollars if the kid turns out to be solid.

Felt like keeping 257 was a lock.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean. This is as Jets as it gets if it’s true lol

Why should they?  They had 256 and 257 offers the potential of huge marketing dollars if the kid turns out to be solid.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Marketing dollars? What

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Marketing dollars? What

Yes.  If the kid turns out to be a player then he gets his name (and therefore the Jets) mentioned all the time.  Teams like press.

I mean, it's pick 257.  Why else in the world would the Broncos want it?

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Jets wanted to keep the Mr. Irrelevant pick for the same reason the Broncos asked for it. Works both ways

Wasn’t it a swap? The Jets would have received their 6th for the last pick as opposed to the second to last. It’s splitting atoms, but still. I doubt the Broncos were upset they got the better pick. 

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes.  If the kid turns out to be a player then he gets his name (and therefore the Jets) mentioned all the time.  Teams like press.

I mean, it's pick 257.  Why else in the world would the Broncos want it?

It’s the Jets. Mr Irrelevant runner up is on roller skates to Canton now.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We will now have the great:

Nick Gargiulo vs Jaylen Key debate.

for years to come.

I'm here for it.

I actually like Key. Wouldn't be surprised to see him push for the 4th Safety spot.

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Wasn’t it a swap? The Jets would have received their 6th for the last pick as opposed to the second to last. It’s splitting atoms, but still. I doubt the Broncos were upset they got the better pick. 

I’m responding to the wording of the report. You can’t “refuse” to give something up if it wasn’t asked for. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm gonna take a page from your book Larz and just quote several of your posts at once, because I think it's fitting for this topic:

People fake mad about this is comedy gold lol

So we fake mad about this?

What we fake mad about now?

I’m so fake mad about this!

What are we fake mad about today?

I’m so fake mad about this that I’m going to type a comment!

This is a good start but now you have to post this multiple times a day every day and keep whining about Jet fans constantly. It’s an insurmountable task to rival that level of bitching. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2