Eagles TE Smith to be available next season

faba

d on Thu, Nov. 15, 2007

Eagles Notes | Smith expecting to leave in 2008

Eagles Notes

Tight end L.J. Smith finally appears to be healthy for the first time this season, but he doesn't think that's going to change his long-term future with the Eagles.

Smith, a potential free agent after this season, said, "Right now I'm looking at being on another team."

Smith, who has undergone two surgeries since the end of May to repair groin injuries, had season highs of four catches and 49 receiving yards against the Washington Redskins and also scored his first touchdown.

While the Eagles might be in the market for an explosive tight end after the season, Smith doesn't believe it's going to be him. He said that doesn't mean he will give any less effort during these final seven weeks.

"I'm playing for the Philadelphia Eagles," he said. "Even though I'm not happy with the contract situation, I'm still employed by them. I'm still going to go out and give 100 percent."

Few good things

There are few good things about being a 4-5 football team, but Eagles coach Andy Reid and his players were able to think of one yesterday as they returned to practice at the NovaCare Complex.

"Our players understand that we're in no position to evaluate another team," Reid said.

What the head coach meant was his 4-5 Eagles have no reason to go into Sunday's game against the 0-9 Miami Dolphins with a superiority complex.

"We've got plenty of things to work on right here," Reid said.

"Every week it's proven in this league that anybody can win on any given Sunday. You've got to make sure you go in and you prepare . . . and come out and play your best game."

If Reid really wanted to drive his point home, he could dig into the archives and go all the way back to Sunday when the 0-8 St. Louis Rams went down to the Superdome in New Orleans and stunned a resurgent Saints team.

"The guys feel it," Reid said.

Kearse not angry

If Jevon Kearse is angry about his reduced role in defensive coordinator Jim Johnson's scheme, he wasn't going to admit it yesterday.

"I'm going to have to get used to it," Kearse said. "I didn't ask any questions, so I don't know what it was about."

Kearse said coming back from major surgery on his left knee has made him realistic about his situation.

"I came back from a lot. . . . So for me to be back on this field this year was big for me," Kearse said. "I try to pretend like I'm not working my way into football playing shape, but I actually am working my way back."

The only hint that Kearse didn't like his reduced time came at the end of his abbreviated interview when he was asked whether the reduced snaps Sunday kept him fresh. "Very fresh," he said. "Too fresh, actually."

Archived