NY JETS News Articles 12/ 7

Kentucky Jet

MIDDLE MAN

JETS' ROOKIE HARRIS EARNS DEFENSIVE AWARD

By MARK CANNIZZARO

MAJOR FIND: Middle linebacker David Harris, pressuring Ben Roethlisberger during the Jets' 19-16 overtime victory over the Steelers on Nov. 18, was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie Player of the Month.December 7, 2007 -- David Harris yesterday was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie Player of the Month - quite an honor for a rookie who was thrust into a starting role without notice five games ago after Jonathan Vilma was lost for the season with a knee injury.

But Victor Hobson, the Jets linebacker who plays alongside Harris, had a better idea.

"They should have just gone ahead and named him the regular Defensive Player of the Month instead of putting the rookie tag in front it," Hobson said. "He's played that well."

Harris, who took over for Vilma as the starting middle linebacker, has 58 tackles in his five starts, an average of more than 11 per game.

He leads the Jets in tackles with 82, despite starting five of the team's 12 games. He also has three sacks, a forced fumble and a recovery.

Based on the bold numbers he has posted in such a small amount of playing time, it's become clear Harris is the Jets future middle linebacker.

Harris' numbers dwarf those of Vilma, his veteran predecessor.

Vilma, in seven starts, had 39 tackles, nearly 20 fewer than Harris has had in two fewer starts.

"I joke with him all the time; I call him the 'Real Deal,' " Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "He stepped in and we knew he was a good player, but didn't know what to expect right away.

"He stepped in right away, took over that role and played it pretty well. He's helped us out a lot."

Eric Mangini spoke about how Harris, who has to bark out the defensive calls, has worked on the bass in his voice and being more authoritative.

Being more outspoken has been somewhat of a challenge for him because he's one of the quietest players on the team.

"In my experience, he's been a little bit soft-spoken, but - what is it, 'speak softly and carry a big stick?' That's kind of how it's been," Mangini said.

"He's becoming more vocal," Rhodes said. "He has to be that way; he's the defense middle linebacker now and making the calls in the huddle."

Rhodes said jokingly that when Harris first started and was making calls "we were like, 'What? Say that again.' "

"Now, he's getting comfortable with what he's doing and the defense is playing better," Rhodes said. "You can definitely hear the confidence in his voice now when he makes the calls."

Matt Chatham, a veteran linebacker, said he's been most impressed with Harris' "grasp of the scheme," which he said, is unusual for rookies.

"Usually, the younger guys are looking to the older guys to figure out what's going on," Chatham said. "One of the things I've been most impressed with (Harris) is how on top of his stuff he is for a young guy, which is something that gives you an extra quick step on every play that you're trying to make.

"A lot of times, guys rely more on athletic ability in that first year where this guy (Harris) is making plays with anticipation, which you don't see from a rookie very often."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

'VERN OF EVENTS

CONTENT COLES REFLECTS ON BITTER START TO CAREER Laveranues Coles

December 6, 2007 -- THERE might not be a more congenial, amusing, enjoyable place in the Jets locker room today than the far corner of the room where Laveranues Coles resides.

This is quite an amazing development considering that there was a time, only a few years ago, when there should have been a sign posted near Coles' locker that read: "Approach at your own risk."

A visit to Coles' locker was akin to knocking on the door of a stranger's house while his pet pit bull was barking violently at you and sizing up your calves as dinner.

Coles came into the NFL an angry, young man with imaginary walls erected as high as goalposts that guarded his inner thoughts and fears.

He came into the league in 2000 with that ballyhooed draft class that included Chad Pennington, John Abraham, Shaun Ellis and Anthony Becht, and you figured he should have had life by the scuff of the neck.

Yet Coles, carrying an airplane cargo worth of emotional baggage, detested being an NFL player.

"Oh, man, when I first came into the league, I really hated it. I wondered, 'Is this meant for me, or would I rather just have a 9-to-5 [job]?' " Coles told The Post in an extensive interview during which he revealed many reasons for the bitterness he harbored early in his career. "I was angry at the world and because of that I probably missed out on so much.

"But I guess if I hadn't gone through it, I would never know how much I should appreciate and I do appreciate the position I'm in now."

That difficult period early in his career seems like a lifetime ago now for Coles. He's one of the Jets' captains and has built a reputation as one of the toughest players in the league - as evidenced by his terrific performance Sunday in Miami despite playing on a high ankle sprain that would have kept most players on the sideline.

Coles has transformed from one of the most contentious players a reporter could ever encounter in a locker room to one of the most admirable, tough and loyal athletes you'll ever meet.

Coles, who revealed that Sunday in Miami was the most pain he'd ever played with (a source said he took pain-killer shots to do it), was still limping significantly yesterday, though don't bet on that keeping him out of Sunday's home game against the Browns.

"Things aren't going the way we want it to go, but I do want to finish this ride with these guys," Coles said.

Asked what made him hate being a pro so much early on, Coles pointed directly at Al Groh, the Jets head coach in 2000, Coles' rookie year.

"I don't really like to say I hate people, but I couldn't stand Al Groh," Coles said. "He was one of those people I didn't like. He made me hate the NFL.

"He made a comment to me one day and I tried to go after him my rookie year, and I'm sure people probably would have taken his side because he was the head coach and because of my track record."

Coles, of course, was fresh off being caught with Florida State teammate Peter Warrick stealing from a Dillard's department store and was subsequently kicked off the Seminoles' football team while Warrick, a Heisman Trophy candidate, was allowed to stay on.

Coles recalled an incident when Groh was getting on him in practice and said, "You're going to be at Dillard's again, but this time you're going to be working there."

"That struck a nerve, so I went after him," Coles said. "I would have been the bad guy and the villain there, but here he was [goading] me."

Coles, too, recalled Groh's receivers coach, Todd Haley, telling him, "I didn't want them to draft you, because I didn't want to coach you."

"I went through a lot my first year," Coles said. "It really made me angry and bitter at people."

That's where his friendships with Pennington, Ellis and Abraham - as well Groh's successor Herman Edwards - helped him start to enjoying the game, as well as life, and trust people.

"Those people broke the ice and got me to open up," Coles said. "I had to learn to get along with people that I really didn't understand or maybe didn't like in the beginning. With time, life lessons change you and mold you into the person you are."

Pennington called it "really cool" to see how Coles has grown and "how he's changed over the years."

"You have to get to know him," Pennington said. "He's the quintessential example of the saying, 'Don't judge a book by its cover.'

"When you get to know him and you get to hear his story, when you get to truly understand who he is, you see that he's got a big heart, you see that he's very intuitive. He sees things that not a lot of other people see - from all different angles."

He no longer sees the coaches, teammates and reporters he doesn't trust as the enemy.

The angry pit bull has become a happy-go-lucky golden retriever who happens to be a pretty damn good receiver, too.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

ONLINE HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE

Sports, Gadgets, Car Accessories and More

FOOTBALL

Jets notebook

Friday, December 7, 2007

Honor stuns Harris

His confidence keeps rising along with his tackle total, yet David Harris never saw this one coming.

Thursday, the second-round pick out of Michigan was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Month. Not bad considering the way he was thrust into the role of defensive signal-caller with former Pro Bowler Jonathan Vilma going on season-ending injured reserve.

"Yeah, I was very surprised,'' the 6-foot-2, 243-pound inside linebacker said. "I never expected to win anything like that but I'm honored to win it.''

Harris had 37 tackles with one sack in three November games to become the first Jet to be so honored since Vilma in November 2004. And Harris made 14 tackles with a sack in his first start, a 13-3 loss to the Bills on Oct. 28, one day after a right knee injury officially ended Vilma's season.

"There's a lot of similarities but there are some differences,'' Jets coach Eric Mangini said of Harris and Vilma. "[Linebacker] Eric Barton's role has expanded some.''

Barton has helped Harris with calling the defensive signals. But while Harris said he was somewhat intimidated by the role early in training camp, it's one he's used to from his college days.

"The more you play, the more you get used to everything and the easier the game becomes,'' Harris said. "You adjust to everything quicker.''

Getting noticed

C.J. Mosley, acquired from the Vikings for quarterback Brooks Bollinger prior to the 2006 season, is finally seeing some steady playing time at nose tackle and defensive end. The 6-foot-2, 314-pound third-year pro has responded with three tackles, two sacks and two forced fumbles in the last two games.

"He's doing an excellent job reading the blocking schemes," Mangini said. "He's got some inherent pass rush ability that shows up."

Injury report

Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (right index finger) missed practice again Thursday and is not expected to play against the Browns. Wide receiver Laveranues Coles (ankle) was limited again but does expect to play.

-- Andrew Gross

Rhodes has new friend

Friday, December 7, 2007

By ANDREW GROSS

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. – Abram Elam has been welcomed into Kerry Rhodes' inner circle. The two Jets safeties, along with rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis, meet three times a week at Rhodes' pad to study game film.

Perhaps coincidentally, but most likely not, Rhodes has three interceptions in his last three games, the first Jet to do so since Ty Law in 2005.

"It takes time," Rhodes said Thursday before practice at Hofstra. "You have to trust the player next to you. I didn't know much about him. I didn't know what he was like and how he'd react in the line of fire. So it took some time."

The Jets (3-9) host the Browns (7-5) Sunday at 4:15 p.m. in what promises to be a challenging game for Rhodes and his defensive teammates. Cleveland's offense is ranked sixth in the NFL and its passing attack featuring quarterback Derek Anderson, wide receiver Braylon Edwards and tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. is ninth in the league, averaging 247.7 yards per game.

But the Browns will be facing the newly aggressive Jets defense, which has 13 sacks and five interceptions in the three games since the bye. That includes Rhodes' 36-yard interception return against Dolphins rookie quarterback John Beck with 1:25 left in the first half of the Jets' 40-13 win at Miami on Sunday.

Listen to The Record SportsCast

Rhodes' interception preserved the lead the Jets had just taken and led to a 20-13 halftime advantage after Mike Nugent's field goal with 10 seconds remaining.

"It's the confidence factor with the whole defense," Rhodes said. "My play, a lot of the time, is dictated on what everybody else is doing. If everybody else is doing well, getting good pressure, good run stopping by the front seven, I can do other things."

Which is where the 6-foot, 207-pound Elam comes in. The second-year pro – signed by the Jets on Sept. 12 after playing 15 games for the Cowboys last season -- has started the past six games, taking over a spot second-year pro Eric Smith held briefly and Erik Coleman had essentially owned the past three seasons.

Elam's coverage skills are decent, but it's his hard hits that stand out. And his tackling ability has given Rhodes more freedom either to play closer to the line or roam more in coverage.

"The coaches have me down in the box more and that let's Kerry, in the back, roam," Elam said. "Kerry has great range and great ball skills so he takes advantage of the opportunities on the back end. I just think he does a good job on communicating, just making sure everybody is in the right position, then giving us the keys of what to look for."

It's the kind of play that's been expected out of the 6-3, 210-pound Rhodes all season after the third-year pro had five sacks and four interceptions last season and his strip-sacking reputation led the Colts' Peyton Manning to yell at his line, "Watch for No. 25."

But Rhodes, like the Jets, started slowly.

"It's tough to think about now," said Rhodes, who used to watch game film on a weekly basis with linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who's out for the season with a right knee injury. "The way we're playing now you think we could have fixed it earlier. But during the bye week you have a lot of time to reflect on what you've done."

E-mail: grossa@northjersey.com

Eric Mangini impressed with development of rookie David Harris

BY PETER BOTTE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

The accolades keep coming for surprising rookie David Harris.

Harris, who has 66 tackles in his first five starts since replacing injured inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma in the Jets' starting lineup, was tabbed yesterday as NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for November.

"(Harris) has gotten better and better each week, a little more bass in his voice each week, a little more authoritative, and that's going to come with experience and time," coach Eric Mangini said of his new defensive signal-caller.

Harris, who might make Vilma expendable in the offseason even if the latter is able to return next year, agreed. "At first it was (difficult) because everyone around me was new and I hadn't built a relationship with the guys," said Harris, a second-round pick out of Michigan. "The more you play, the more you get used to everything and the easier the game becomes."

NO JERRICHO: Leading receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who underwent surgery on his broken index finger last week, didn't practice and remains doubtful for Sunday against Cleveland. Long snapper James Dearth (foot) is questionable, but Mangini declined to reveal the state secret of who would replace him. WR Laveranues Coles (ankle), C Nick Mangold (calf) and DL Dewayne Robertson (knee) were limited in practice.

Kerry Rhodes emerges as Jets' film star

BY PETER BOTTE

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

Weissman for News

Kerry Rhodes scores a touchdown against the Giants in October.

Kerry Rhodes' recent frequency on the highlight reels can be directly traced to going to the videotape with a new set of film partners.

Since linebacker Jonathan Vilma went down with a season-ending knee injury in October, the Jets' starting strong safety has invited two new study buddies, safety Abram Elam and rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis, to the film sessions he hosts up to three nights a week.

"They're the young guys, so they have to bring the food," Rhodes joked yesterday at Hofstra.

After notching one interception through Week 9, Rhodes has picked off a pass in each of the last three games, making him the first Jet to do so since Ty Law in 2005. In Sunday's 40-13 win over Miami, Rhodes also registered two tackles for losses, taking advantage of being employed more at the line of scrimmage as a blitzer than he had been at the start of the season.

"When the defense is playing better as a whole, there are more chances I can take," Rhodes said when asked about his improved play. "The quarterback isn't just sitting there, going through his progressions. He has to make his read right away and get the ball out. If I can get that consistently, I'll make plays."

Rhodes believes his end-zone INT against Miami rookie QB John Beck on Sunday was a direct result of film study and the corresponding improvement in communication among his first-year secondary mates. With the Dolphins lined up in a "bunch" formation, clustering three receivers to the right, Rhodes could be seen on TV giving hand signals to Revis, who already was stationed on that side.

Based on what he remembered from the previous week's film breakdowns, Rhodes changed the coverage, dropping himself and Revis into a Cover-3 zone. The ball was thrown to Ted Ginn Jr., who was running a skinny post route. While Revis had the primary coverage, Rhodes read the QB and broke quickly on the ball.

"I actually made the check for the whole defense on that play," Rhodes said. "I happened to check to the right thing."

As for this week's preparation, Rhodes, Revis and Elam met for nearly two hours poring over the Browns' first- and second-down packages in a longer session than usual on Tuesday, Rhodes said, because the Browns offer varying formations.

"Kerry's always been the leader back there, but he's been doing what he does best, making plays," said Revis, who snared his second career interception on Sunday. He's the man back there right now. Going to his house every night, we obviously want to make plays with him, too

BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com

December 7, 2007

David Harris said there are times he still feels like a rookie, especially when older players get on his case in meetings. No one shed a tear over that.

"He gets treated better than any rookie ever ... ever," veteran linebacker Brad Kassel said. "He doesn't even have to do anything except close the door for the meetings. That's it. He hasn't even taken us out to dinner. I think that he is misled on how rookies used to be treated. He gets it good."

When Kassel caught his breath on the topic, he sat back for a moment and pondered.

"When you're that good a player, you can't really dog on him that much," Kassel finally said. "But he still owes us a dinner, that's for sure."

If Harris needed another reminder of his rookie status, he received one yesterday when he was named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for November. Harris took over for the injured Jonathan Vilma after the Week 7 game against the Bengals and has stepped into his role as signal-caller for the defense. He's also skyrocketed up the stat sheet with his tackles. Although it's an unofficial stat, Harris is already the team's leader with 91 total takedowns and 66 solo tackles. He also has three sacks.

"I knew he was going to be good, but he had like 40 tackles in two games," Kassel said. "Obviously he's even better than what we had hoped for. It's pretty impressive for a guy to do what he's done."

Harris has also made an improvement to his huddle presence, something quarterbacks are often graded on but comes in handy for linebackers, also.

"He's gotten better and better each week, a little more bass in his voice, a little more authoritative," coach Eric Mangini said.

That booming delivery doesn't always trigger the desired effect. Safety Kerry Rhodes said he sometimes comes away from the huddle giggling after Harris tries to act tough.

"He's getting it," Rhodes said. "He's still young, we know that."

Harris said he doubts he'll shake that rookie feeling any time this season, even with only four games remaining. "I'm still getting adjusted to being here and getting used to everybody around me," he said. As for next year, Harris doesn't think he'll move very far up the pecking order.

"I'm the youngest one in the room, maybe next year, too," he grinned. "The youngest one always gets it the worst."

Notes&quotes: Vilma, who underwent knee surgery last month, said at the time he expected to rejoin the team for this week's game against the Browns. According to those who know him best, however, Vilma has no plans to make the trip for the game (he was on the sideline in Miami against the Dolphins, walking with crutches). Mangini was very careful in his language when talking about Vilma's future with the Jets. Harris' development has only fostered more speculation that Vilma will not be back with the team next year ... Harris wasn't the only one honored yesterday. Browns T Joe Thomas was named NFL Offensive Player of the Month ... DT C.J. Mosley said one of his favorite players as a young Dolphins fan was Bryan Cox, who is now the Jets' assistant defensive line coach and one of Mosley's harshest critics. "He's been on my head since the day I got here," Mosley said. "That's him. That's why I like him. No matter what you do or who you are, he's going to shoot you straight." Mosley has 2 1/2 sacks in the last three games ... WR Jerricho Cotchery (finger) missed practice and it remains unlikely that he will play Sunday ... Mangini said Ben Graham's punting difficulties against the Dolphins, including one he shanked over the Jets' bench, could be mental. "You can't get caught up in focusing on the result," Mangini said. "When you start worrying about the water when you're golfing, that's where it goes. You've just got to focus on the swing."

Sunday

Browns at Jets

4:15 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050)

More articles

Harris stepping up as defensive leader

Friday, December 07, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Rookie inside linebacker David Harris continues to speak softly and deliver bone-jarring hits heard around the NFL.

Harris, the soft-spoken second-round pick (47th overall) out of Michigan who has replaced the injured Jonathan Vilma, was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for November yesterday.

In three games, Harris, who calls the defensive signals, had 37 tackles and one sack. He has a team-leading 87 tackles and three sacks this season despite not getting into the starting lineup until Week 8.

"He controls the huddle," said Jets coach Eric Mangini. "He makes adjustments. That's what you're looking for in that position. He's gotten better and better, a little more authoritative. ...

"He's doing a good job with his downhill play, being physical with the blockers, and then he's also got a nice feel for moving through traffic and he's fluid in space, both in man-to-man and zone coverage."

Harris credits his teammates, coaches and the "110 percent" effort he gives on every play for his success. He said he needs to improve his understanding and recognition of offensive tendencies and formations.

With Harris' every tackle, it seems, Vilma's future with the Jets grows more cloudy. Mangini was evasive when asked about plans for Vilma next season and why Harris has become dominant in the 3-4 scheme and Vilma wasn't.

WR Jerricho Cotchery (broken right index finger) didn't practice yesterday and appears unlikely to play Sunday against the Browns, although Mangini didn't rule him out. The Jets are awaiting a specially designed cast for Cotchery's finger that would enable him to play.

A sure sign that Cotchery will be back this season is that the Jets haven't put him on the season-ending injured reserve list. He'll likely play against the Patriots next week.

DT C.J. Mosley is quietly carving out his niche, notching 2 1/2 sacks in the past three games, primarily in the sub-packages. Acquired in a trade from Minnesota for QB Brooks Bollinger, Mosley was a Dolphins fan growing up and Jets assistant defensive line coach Bryan Cox, a three-time Pro Bowler with Dolphins, was his favorite player.

The fiery Cox rides Mosley every day and it brings out the best in him, Mosley says.

"If I don't do something right, he's the first person I'm going to hear from," said the 6-2, 314-pound Mosley.

Mangini likes Mosley's versatility, his ability to read blocks and his pass-rushing skills.

KR Leon Washington (30.6-yard average, three TDs) and the Browns' Josh Cribbs (31.2-yard average, two TDs) are the NFL's top two kickoff returners. The pair are battling to be the AFC's Pro Bowl representative. ... Jets K Mike Nugent has hit 10 field goals in a row and 17 of his past 18 attempts.

Browns LT Joe Thomas was named the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month. ... Browns starting DE Orpheus Roye (knee) and starting RT Kevin Shaffer (knee) returned to practice yesterday.

Ferguson, Mangold usher in friendship

Friday, December 07, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold met at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., in 2006 and immediately clicked. Their friendship grew as they made the pre-draft rounds and were both drafted by the Jets.

They would learn about life in the NFL -- on and off the field -- together, and will perhaps anchor the Jets offensive line for the next decade.

But nobody envisioned where their relationship would go, least of all Ferguson.

One day last season, Mangold, who was engaged to his high school sweetheart, Jenny, asked Ferguson to be in his wedding. Flattered by the request to share a day so special, Ferguson quickly said yes.

The lavish ceremony took place last April in the couple's hometown of Centerville, Ohio. Approximately 300 people attended. Mangold's groomsmen included Ohio State teammates A.J. Hawk, Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Schlegel as well as Ferguson, a former star at the University of Virginia.

"I think whenever somebody asks you to be a part of their wedding, that's a really big honor," said Ferguson. "Usually, you think of best friends and people you've grown up with being in your wedding. I didn't think he saw me in that light in the two years we've known each other. I was really honored.

"I had a great time. Met his family. His wife is a wonderful individual. ... It was a tough situation (being around all those Buckeyes). I couldn't talk junk because their record was better than ours. I had to let that one good go."

Mangold said it was a no-brainer to ask Ferguson to be in his wedding.

"You talk to 'Brick' for two minutes and you realize what a great guy he is," said Mangold, who spent a week in the Bahamas for his honeymoon. "We had spent a lot of time together and built a good relationship. It just made sense. This is a guy I want to have in my life. If you surround yourself with good people, good things are going to happen."

On the field, good things haven't been happening this season for the Jets (3-9), who play the Browns (7-5) on Sunday at Giants Stadium. Many of the problems can be traced to the offensive line. The unit has been reeling since veteran Pete Kendall was traded to the Redskins in August following a nasty contract dispute. Kendall, a left guard, played in between Mangold and Ferguson last season and was instrumental in their surprisingly quick development.

Neither Mangold nor Ferguson will talk in detail about how much Kendall meant to them or how much they miss him. The organization frowns on such talk. Mangold, however, remains close to Kendall.

After the Jets-Redskins game last month at Giants Stadium, Mangold waited nearly a half-hour for the media-friendly Kendall to finish his interviews and emerge from the visitors' locker room. The two embraced and exchanged pleasantries before Kendall boarded the Redskins team bus.

As the Jets look to the future, they feel their offensive line is on solid footing with Mangold, selected 29th overall, and Ferguson, taken fourth overall, as the foundation. In a mild upset, Mangold has played better than Ferguson at this stage of their careers, but the club remains extremely high on Ferguson, whose athleticism enables him to hold his own against some of the league's premier pass-rushers. The Jets will likely address the offensive line again early in the April draft.

"It's very fortunate how things have worked out with me and 'Brick,'" said Mangold. "It's very exciting. It's neat having someone who is going through the exact same thing, at the exact same time, that you are and you can ask them questions and bounce things off."

Said Ferguson: "Myself and Nick, we're just really trying to play the best we can. I thought it was great that we could both play together. I really respect him as a player. We both hope to be here a long time and do some great things."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Is Kellen Clemens Skittish?

Posted Dec 6th 2007 11:53AM by Josh Alper

Filed under: Jets, AFC East, New York

I'm not sure who decided skittish should be the adjective of choice to describe New York quarterbacks but it's the hottest thing in town. On the heels of Giants GM Jerry Reese using the term to describe Eli Manning, CBS color commentator Steve Tasker called Kellen Clemens skittish after taking a sack during Sunday's win against the Dolphins. Clemens responded to Tasker after yesterday's practice.

"I'm sure that Mr. Tasker is making the best evaluation that he can. It's my job to go out and play. I'm making the decisions the best I can in the spur of the moment. Sometimes they're correct, and there are other times when they're not, but I'm out there doing the best I can."

Clemens was sacked six times Sunday and most of them were a result of his slow/poor reads of the pass rush. D'Brickashaw Ferguson had a terrible game against Jason Taylor but elsewhere the line was solid. Clemens did a poor job evaluating when to throw the ball away and when to pull it down and run.

That's to be expected, though. He's five games into his NFL career and he's seeing things at full speed for the first time. It would be unusual for a quarterback to master the myriad looks and blitzes of NFL defenses that soon in his career. That makes a skittish label a bridge too far at this point. Still, he's been dropped 19 times already and improving his awareness is job one for Clemens going forward.

Comments [0]PermalinkEmail ThisLinking BlogsShare This

Add this post to...NetscapeDiggDel.icio.usYardBarkerBallhypeFark

Archived