kiper chat- question about jets

afosomf

Kyle (Pa): What are some other options for the Jets at #6 besides Gholston? Possibly trading down?

Mel Kiper: (1:07 PM ET ) First of all the Gholston scenario is the best scenario. He's exactly what they need. They need the combo DE/OLB. He played with his hand off the ground this year. Other needs for this team, OG, DE and a big time WR. They also have to assess Clemens.

Mel Kiper: (1:08 PM ET ) Chris Long would be ideal, but he'll be off the board by then. There's no WR worthy of being that high a pick at No. 6. So, the best option is Gholston.

Ted - Wilmington, DE: Question for Mel once he arrives....I understand that the Ravens & Dolphins have interest in Flacco (spent a bit of time interviewing him yesterday). Is it possible the Fish could target Flacco with the 1st pick in round 2, or would that seem a bit un-realistic for him to go that high? Thanks.

Mel Kiper: (1:03 PM ET ) I think they have to assess John Beck. We can't write him off. He was a second round pick by the previous front office. Obviously, Parcells and Sparano have no ties to him. The two teams that have decisions to make on QBs are Miami and KC, on Broyle. If they don't like their QBs they have to go after another one. Joe Flacco will be a second round pick, but not an early one. He has a big time arm and in the mid-second round is an area where you have to think about him. Miami has a lot of needs. They need help at CB, WR. They have a lot of holes on this team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

matt (colorado): Mel, how about sam baker to the broncos. we love athletic lineman, who dont have to be powerhouses in term or strength.

Mel Kiper: (1:05 PM ET ) They need a LT. Desperately. They're trying to develop a young QB in Cutler. He runs hot and cold, but has a great arm. What he needs to do is get more consistency, which will help him, is better pass protection. The key will be the LT. They will be looking at a chance at a number of LTs. They could look at Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, and Sam Baker. And with Jake Long being the top guy, you have five guys right there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyle (Pa): What are some other options for the Jets at #6 besides Gholston? Possibly trading down?

Mel Kiper: (1:07 PM ET ) First of all the Gholston scenario is the best scenario. He's exactly what they need. They need the combo DE/OLB. He played with his hand off the ground this year. Other needs for this team, OG, DE and a big time WR. They also have to assess Clemens.

Mel Kiper: (1:08 PM ET ) Chris Long would be ideal, but he'll be off the board by then. There's no WR worthy of being that high a pick at No. 6. So, the best option is Gholston.

pat, pa: Only one qb in the 1st round Mel? What do you say to other mock drafts that include Brohm and Woodson in the 1st?

Mel Kiper: (1:09 PM ET ) That's the say I see it right now. It's not any surprise that it worked that way. Brohm had his injuries. He's not at the Senior Bowl this week. He's a good QB, but there are some reasons that he'll be a second round pick. Booty will be in the second round. Henne as well. Ainge, Woodson, Flacco all second rounders. I think Ryan goes to Atlanta.

Cory (PA): The steelers o-line is in disarray, but other than that, what do you think is the second most pressing need for them?

Mel Kiper: (1:11 PM ET ) I think right now, you have to say o-line. If you can get CB/S, a versatile DB, that would be something that's intriguing. More depth at WR. And at LB. Definitely OG is an area they have to address. Chilo Rachal, an outstanding pure guard out of USC. Another underrated player. You're going to hear a lot about him. He would be an excellent pick at No. 23.

Tim (IL): Mel - Please tell me the Bears will take an OT in the first round and worry about everything else later.

Mel Kiper: (1:13 PM ET ) Yeah, I think they will. They could look at a couple of spots. I have them taking Sam Baker from USC. That's a need they have to address. If you look at the Bears, they have to determine who their QB is. It's going to be primarily an offensive draft. They have to assess this very bad QB situation. They need a LG, OT, because they would like to move John Tait from LT to RT. They need a WR and a RB. There's no QB to take at 14. It's either going to be a LT like Baker or Clady or Chris Williams. One of those three. OR, they could go RB. Stewart could be there at 14. I have him going 16. They could go WR. Maybe a Manningham or Kelly. They'll have options.

Elliott (Charlotte, NC): You had Otah going to the Panthers at #13. What are some other options at #13, maybe Kenny Phillips or a DT,DE?

Mel Kiper: (1:15 PM ET ) Otah makes a lot of sense. He can help you at RT or LT. They could also look at WR. I think that's early for Phillips. He's more of a late first rounder or second rounder. I don't have him in the first round projection right now.

Joe (PA): What other options are available to the Vikes at #17? DE like Campbell or possibly a safety?

Mel Kiper: (1:17 PM ET ) Their No. 1 need is WR. I have them taking DeSean Jackson. They need an option across from Sidney Rice. That's why I think they look at Jackson. They also need to get a DE. They've tried, but they need a 10-sack a year guy. They could also need a talented young safety and a pass-catching TE.

Kyle (philly): Mel, You have dan connor listed as the top linebacker on your big board. Do you see him still being around for the eagles pick and if so would they take him? He's a hometown product and would be an instant fan favorite

Mel Kiper: (1:20 PM ET ) Connor is one of many late first or early second round LBs. LB is loaded with guys that are late first or early second. The LBs in the group are Jerod Mayo, Curtis Lofton, Keith Rivers, Erin Henderson, Ali Highsmith. A lot of those guys will be in that mix. The Eagles need a pass rusher to work opposite Cole. They need a LT. They also need a CB. They have no true No. 1 WR and no depth at WR. They need to develop a safety. They could also use a TE.

Paul (Boise, ID): Shaun Alexander looks done. Do the Seahawks spend there first round pick on a RB or and OL?

Mel Kiper: (1:21 PM ET ) They could. They also need a TE. Where they're picking, Felix Jones from Arkansas could be there. Rashard Medenhall could be there. I think they need a TE that can catch the football. They've been searching for it and haven't found it. I think there will be a good one on the board at that point and that's Fred Davis from USC.

Fred (Virginia): Is Matt Ryan really a franchise QB, or is he just the best QB in this draft? How often do true franchise QBs come along anyway??

Mel Kiper: (1:23 PM ET ) I think he's a very good prospect. Not a great prospect. When you look at him, he's comparable to what we thought Eli Manning, Roethlisberger and Rivers to be when they were coming out. All of whom have done solid jobs. They're not great. They're not elite, but they're very very good. They've all established themselves in this league. That's what I think Matt Ryan will be.

Steve (Chicago, IL): Hey mel, its pretty easy to say the 49ers need a WR. But with the loss of Allen and possibly Smiley, if we dont block, it doesnt matter. What OL do you see the niners targetting with #29 and then at the top of rnd 2?

Mel Kiper: (1:25 PM ET ) You have a couple of guards - Rachal is a guy that is excellent. Branden Albert is a guy that has G/T capabilities. Those guys will be there in that area. The guy I have them taking is James Hardy. He's 6-6 220 pounds. He's had double digit TD receptions each of the last three seasons. The 49ers need a quality WR. That's what he would provide for Alex Smith.

Jeremy (SF): Where do you see Lavell Hawkins going?

Mel Kiper: (1:27 PM ET ) He's one of those guys that's a yo-yo this year. He entered the year with an average grade. He rose significantly. Then he dropped. He played extremely well early on and then had some dropped passes late in the year. He has great feet. He can catch in traffic. At one point, I thought he could have been a second round pick. Now it's more of a fourth round pick.

Brian (Dallas, TX): I just heard Jason Garrett on the radio say that the Cowboys are looking at Early Doucet where do you have him going?

Mel Kiper: (1:28 PM ET ) I think he'll be a second round pick. He's an excellent slot receiver. He's been schooled against the top corners. He's worked against good CBs in practice. He's played in pressure packed environments. If he runs that 4.4, he goes in the second round. I think he'll be a very nice addition. He's very very battle tested.

Jeremy (St. Louis, MO): Who do you see the Rams taking 2nd overall?

Mel Kiper: (1:29 PM ET ) I think that's a hard one. Either Jake Long or Chris Long. I'm going Chris Long right now. They went with Carriker last year. If they can get Chris to go with Carriker, that will help. I think Jake has to be in the discussion. He can play G or T.

Scott (Dayton , Ohio): what would be the best pick at 15 for the Lions? they have a ton of holes to fill and need D. But a left tackel may help them more.

Mel Kiper: (1:32 PM ET ) When you look at the Lions, major issues at CB. They need a shutdown CB and a good No. 2 CB. I have them taking Leodis McKelvin from Troy. He's also a great return man. No. 2, I think pass rushing DE. In this scheme, they've seen some good pass rushers evolve. No. 3, I would say a RB. Kevin Jones has been banged up a lot. They need a quality RB. They have a new offensive mindset now. They'll run the ball more. OT and I would say MLB are other areas to address.

Jake, NC: How does the talent in this year's draft compare to the past two classes? It seems after the top 5 guys the talent level drops off considerably, making picks 5-10 just as valuable as a picks 15-20.

Mel Kiper: (1:34 PM ET ) It's interesting. Every draft is a good draft. It really is. Every draft produces a lot of players. One of the drafts that has been criticized, because some of the top guys didn't produce is 2005. Merriman, Luis Castillo, Lofa Tatupu, Michael Boley, Trent Cole, Brady Poppinga, Heath Miller, Vincent Jackson, Roydell Williams, Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Derek Anderson, Ryan Grant are all guys that came out of the 2005 draft. It turned out to be excellent overall, even though we had some busts in the early round.

Mel Kiper: (1:35 PM ET ) You can find players in every draft.

K. Davis: How is Owen schmitt looking? Any chance he goes higher than 3rd-4th round even tho he is a FB? What team does he go to? Anyone in need of a FB?

Mel Kiper: (1:36 PM ET ) I think FBs recently have been phased out. You have the TEs that can move in and play FBs when you need him to. I think Schmitt is the No. 1 FB, I think he is a 3rd round pick.

william (cleveland): what defensive line or outside LB do you see available for the Browns with their 2nd round pick?

Mel Kiper: (1:40 PM ET ) The Browns have needs at NT, DT. There's no standout in the front three. They need a WR. A quality backup RB. And some guys they can look at are Marcus Harrison, Bruce Davis, Devin Thomas. Another guy moving up is Josh Morgan. He could be a second rounder. Some late round RBs that they could look at are Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles, Kevin Smith. There are always good running backs that drop out despite their ratings. You'll always get good value at RB. Another guy that has speed and HR ability is Steve Slaton from WVU.

Greg (Rochester, NY): Can the Bengals get Sedrick Ellis at No. 9? If not who else will be there - they need d-line players to help their young but promising secondary (J.Joseph, Leon Hall)

Mel Kiper: (1:42 PM ET ) I have Ellis going 8. to get him at 8 would be a good pick for Baltimore. Cincy needs a tackle and could also get a DE. LB, they don't have a top drawer LB right now. I don't think they'll see one at No. 9. If Ellis is gone, you look at other d-linemen. They need defensive help.

Mel Kiper: (1:43 PM ET ) You could see no LBs coming off the board until late in the first round. That's why I was shocked that Laurinaitis returned. In a year with few LBs to choose from, he's a complete player. He didn't have his best game against LSU, but hey AJ Hawk went in the top 5 to the Packers. If he would have been there, Cincy would have looked at Laurinaitis. He would have been an outstanding pick. But he's going back to OSU, which is good for the Buckeyes.

Mel Kiper: (1:44 PM ET ) I'll have a new first round projection coming out at the end of the next week. I just updated the ratings today. You could see the new top 5 at each position. We'll be back next Wednesday.

Buzzmaster : (1:46 PM ET ) Thanks Mel!

Ryan (Ohio): Buzz??? Donuts givin you a heart attack or somethin?

Buzzmaster : (1:50 PM ET ) I am elbows deep in Donuts right now.

Ron Burgundy: There goes Mel Kiper...the only man with hair as nice as mine. You stay classy Mel.

Joe (Huntsville,AL): Mel is a machine

Dhruv (Ann Arbor): Buzz, where my Michigan Men at? I also hear Adams and Crable laid some huge hits on Schmitt. Think UM has a beef with WVU?

Buzzmaster : (1:52 PM ET ) I've heard the same thing.

Blair, Columbia, Mo.: Buzz you should get Martin Rucker on here...you'd like chatting with him as well. Great guy

D (MI): I second that nomination of Rucker.

Buzzmaster : (1:55 PM ET ) Alright guys we have a special guest joining us now, former NFL QB Scott Brunner, who now works with Delaware QB Joe Flacco, through TEST Sports Clubs.

KC (New Orleans): Can you compare Flacco to a current NFL QB

Scott Brunner: (1:58 PM ET ) Derek Anderson, in Cleveland is a guy that most people compare him to, or a little bit of Big Ben, because he has size, and is coming out of a smaller school. These are all very physically gifted players..

nick (ny): scott where do you see joe going in the draft

Scott Brunner: (2:01 PM ET ) I see him as the number two QB in the draft this year. I think his upside is significant to the other guys out there. With the other guys, you get what you see, but with Joe, he is a diamond in the rough. He has the one thing you cannot coach, and that is veloicty. We have seen 6 of the top 8 QB in the country, and he has the best velocity of them. He will also be in the skills chanllenege in Arizona and he will be able to show his athleticism, because he is very fast and athletic.

Scott Brunner: (2:01 PM ET ) He will be the fastest QB at the combine we think.

D (MI): What area of Joe's game have you guys really been practicing on?

Scott Brunner: (2:03 PM ET ) We have focused on his footwork. At Delaware he played out of the shotgun, and when he gets to the NFL he will be under center. So we wanted to clean up his footwork. We also wanted to work on his balance and agility. We want to improve those things, and also work on his core strength, and work on the strength of his hips.

Jeff (Michigan): What is Joes biggest strength in his game, and what is his weakness?

Scott Brunner: (2:06 PM ET ) His biggest attribute is his size and strength and the velocity he gets on the ball. But we are working on the footwork. All these QB out here can play, but to get to the NFL you need to be precise with all of your skills, and I am a strong beleiver in working from the ground up...and footwork is the key there.

Rob (CT): Hey Scott - How did playing at Delaware prepare him for the NFL?

Scott Brunner: (2:08 PM ET ) Delaware plays at the highest level of IAA. The key is that he got a lot of time at Delaware, and played for a great coach. He got to play for a national tile, and played against the best talent of the sundivision. What is also overlooked, is that he had to go through a playoffs, and played 15 games. So he knows about the second season, which people often don't consider. I think it was a great benefit to him to see what playing in a playoff and playing all those games is like. And Delaware has done a great job with QB from Gannon, Nagy, and not Joe. So the school does produce some very good QB who end up in the pros.

Glen (NY): Do you think Joe has the mental make up to play in a city like NY, or is he better off in a smaller market?

Scott Brunner: (2:10 PM ET ) He can play anywhere. He is very clam in the storm and does not get rattled. He got off at a rocky start here, and he just forgot about it, and put it behind him. And he is not performing very well. He could play in NY, Miami, Atlanta. He is calm, but very competitive; he wants to win. For example when he do these atheltic drills, where he goes up against DB, he beats them, because he has that will to win.

HG (MD): Scott: Any thoughts on the new kid Delaware brought in to play? Rob Schoenhoft from Ohio State.

Scott Brunner: (2:12 PM ET ) I have not seen him play; but I have heard a lot of great things.

Brian (New York): What was the deal with the white helmet he was wearing during practice earlier this week?

Scott Brunner: (2:16 PM ET ) There wa sa abit of a miscommunication with the equipment manager at Delaware, and the helmet never got sent. But it came in last night. People thought they were trying for him not to look like Henne. But that is not the case. He has the helmet back, and he is very happy about it.

Name: (City and State):

Got a question or comment? Say it here:

Archived