*%&^$! Williams to the Jags

K2C

And Williams is a 4-3 guy AND Williams is so overrated..

I'd prefer Sutton over Williams...

Then take him to New England with you.

I have been a big advocate in hoping the Jets switch back to the 4-3..which would make sense out of why i wanted Williams here.

Then take him to New England with you.

I have been a big advocate in hoping the Jets switch back to the 4-3..which would make sense out of why i wanted Williams here.

Take him back to New England with me? Huh? Explain that one to me. (I am a Jets season ticket holder)

You aren't going to see a switch to the 4-3 with Mangini. The 3-4 is a more efficient D anyway, and it actually has nothing to do with the play on the field. Pass rushing defensive ends in the 4-3 and Nose Tackles in general are very expensive.

Linebackers, on the other hand, aren't nearly as expensive.

Therefore, having 4 LBs starters is cheaper, cap wise, than 4 DL starters.

Take him back to New England with me? Huh? Explain that one to me. (I am a Jets season ticket holder)

You aren't going to see a switch to the 4-3 with Mangini. The 3-4 is a more efficient D anyway, and it actually has nothing to do with the play on the field. Pass rushing defensive ends in the 4-3 and Nose Tackles in general are very expensive.

Linebackers, on the other hand, aren't nearly as expensive.

Therefore, having 4 LBs starters is cheaper, cap wise, than 4 DL starters.

Not with this defense it's not.

Not with this defense it's not.

The 4-3 we ran before Mangini came in didn't fare any better. Guys like D-rob, Thomas, Hobson,etc. have been just as ineffective in the 4-3 as they are in the 3-4. At this point, most of our front 7 sucks balls and needs to be upgraded. We have 4 guys who suck regardless of scheme (Ellis,Robertson,Thomas,Hobson), 1 guy who's good in the 4-3 but crap in the 3-4 (Vilma), one guy who is an average starter in either 34/43 (Barton), and 2 who are better off in the 3-4 (Coleman,Harris).

All you guys calling for us to switch back to the 4-3 seem to neglect the fact that the Jets lack the talent right now to run either system effectively

The 4-3 we ran before Mangini came in didn't fare any better. Guys like D-rob, Thomas, Hobson,etc. have been just as ineffective in the 4-3 as they are in the 3-4. At this point, most of our front 7 sucks balls and needs to be upgraded. We have 4 guys who suck regardless of scheme (Ellis,Robertson,Thomas,Hobson), 1 guy who's good in the 4-3 but crap in the 3-4 (Vilma), one guy who is an average starter in either 34/43 (Barton), and 2 who are better off in the 3-4 (Coleman,Harris).

All you guys calling for us to switch back to the 4-3 seem to neglect the fact that the Jets lack the talent right now to run either system effectively

Really?

2003- 8th in PPG.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2003&seasonType=REG

2004- 4th in PPG.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2004&seasonType=REG

2005- 22nd in PPG (crappy year)

2006- 6th in PPG

2007- 19 in PPG

Not to mention the lack of QB pressures we have in the 3-4. The personnel is more suited to play a 4-3..lets face it..with no true NT we are not utilizing the 3-4 properly.

Really?

2003- 8th in PPG.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2003&seasonType=REG

2004- 4th in PPG.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=SCORING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2004&seasonType=REG

2005- 22nd in PPG (crappy year)

2006- 6th in PPG

2007- 19 in PPG

Not to mention the lack of QB pressures we have in the 3-4. The personnel is more suited to play a 4-3..lets face it..with no true NT we are not utilizing the 3-4 properly.

Why were we good in PPG in the Herm era? 2 reasons:

1) It takes a lot longer to score when you run every play. The Jets couldn't stop the run.

2) Teams did not fear that the Herm Jets would score more than 20 in a game, so they played it closer to the vest and ran more.

Ever heard of the salary cap? So, yes, efficency in players is important.

This team happens to be in good standing with the cap..meaning Woody can unroll his fat wad of cash and spend some.

How is the Pats cap situation?

Why were we good in PPG in the Herm era? 2 reasons:

1) It takes a lot longer to score when you run every play. The Jets couldn't stop the run.

2) Teams did not fear that the Herm Jets would score more than 20 in a game, so they played it closer to the vest and ran more.

Whatever it was..it worked.

If getting to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years does it..so be it.

This team happens to be in good standing with the cap..meaning Woody can unroll his fat wad of cash and spend some.

How is the Pats cap situation?

I have no idea how the Pats are doing.

With that said, IN GENERAL, a 3-4 is more cap friendly than a 4-3. That's all I was saying, but simple points are a struggle for you.

Archived