Latest From Cimini Blog

Favorite_Toon

March 11, 2008

Ranking the Top 3 most likely draft picks

Continuing a long-standing tradition (uh, like one year), The Jets Stream will provide a periodic draft update, ranking the prospects most likely to be chosen by the Jets with the 6th overall pick. The ranking probably will vary, based on new information, free-agent movement, etc.

A year ago, we touted CB Darrelle Revis very highly on our early lists, which began appearing about six weeks before the draft. In fact, I had Revis as my No. 1 guy on March 29. Of course, by the time the draft rolled around, I had completely over-analyzed the situation, dropping Revis from the top 5 and putting LB David Harris at No. 1.

Who’da thought they’d trade up for Revis and take Harris in the second round?

Anyway, here goes our top three:

1. RB Darren McFadden - Some scouts say he’s the top player in the draft, but team needs and some character concerns could drop him to the Jets. Don’t think for a second the Jesse Chatman signing will preclude the Jets from picking McFadden. They’d take him, platoon him with Thomas Jones and hand the job to McFadden in ’09. Jetnation you better leave Favorite Toon alone.

2. DE/OLB Vernon Gholston - At 6-3½, 255 pounds, he’s not big enough to play end in a 3-4. He would project as an outside linebacker, but do you really want to make a pick this high based on a projection? As we’ve learned from Eric Mangini, he won’t change his scheme to suit the players’ strengths. At the very least, Gholston would come in as a rookie and be a situational pass rusher in four-down alignments.

3. DE/OLB Chris Long - If he’s not picked by the Dolphins (No. 1 overall), Long could fall to the Jets. Again, he would raise the same issue as Gholston: Could he make the transition from college end to NFL outside linebacker? He’s a shade taller than 6-3, about 270 pounds. Long has off-the-charts intangibles, and that would go a long way with Mangini

March 11, 2008

Ranking the Top 3 most likely draft picks

Continuing a long-standing tradition (uh, like one year), The Jets Stream will provide a periodic draft update, ranking the prospects most likely to be chosen by the Jets with the 6th overall pick. The ranking probably will vary, based on new information, free-agent movement, etc.

A year ago, we touted CB Darrelle Revis very highly on our early lists, which began appearing about six weeks before the draft. In fact, I had Revis as my No. 1 guy on March 29. Of course, by the time the draft rolled around, I had completely over-analyzed the situation, dropping Revis from the top 5 and putting LB David Harris at No. 1.

Who

Archived