John Clayton | Top 10 Free Agent Gambles

rick34125

I dunno, a lot of QB's struggled vs that NE D in 04 and he did have some pretty good games regardless (Had 2 great games vs San Diego in 04). IMO you underated Chad, yes he's had some terrible games but if you focused in on other QB's you could notice that practically all will struggle more vs the top teams and that they all have flaws, Pennington is far from the worst.

Pennington has never even shown the ability to beat those good teams. The only time I can ever remember him beating a very good team was the Patriots in '06, and he had very little to do with that, as the defense kicked Brady's pretty little ass and Jericho Cotchery made a sea of hands catch to save Pennington's end zone duck. Besides, that was a team that got shut out by the ****ing Dolphins. The '06 Pats were far from a great team.

Usually, whenever we face a good team, Chad curls up in the fetal position and leads us to 0-10 points. Of course, other QBs struggle against top defenses, but many also show the ability to keep their team competitive, something Chad Pennington does not do. It is all about leading the team to points, and Pennington fails miserably at that when we face a good defense.

Pennington has never even shown the ability to beat those good teams. The only time I can ever remember him beating a very good team was the Patriots in '06, and he had very little to do with that, as the defense kicked Brady's pretty little ass and Jericho Cotchery made a sea of hands catch to save Pennington's end zone duck. Besides, that was a team that got shut out by the ****ing Dolphins. The '06 Pats were far from a great team.

Usually, whenever we face a good team, Chad curls up in the fetal position and leads us to 0-10 points. Of course, other QBs struggle against top defenses, but many also show the ability to keep their team competitive, something Chad Pennington does not do. It is all about leading the team to points, and Pennington fails miserably at that when we face a good defense.

In fairness to Chad he's not always to blame for us losing to good teams. He played pretty well vs New England both times this season but had absolutely no help (Thank you J-Mac). He was far from the main reason we lost those games.

QB's will always play worse and have worse stats vs elite teams. That's why those teams are elite in the first place, the fact that he has the ability to take advantage of easy schedules and to beat up on worse teams makes him at worst an average QB. A lot of QB's can't even do that regardless of supporting cast.

The guy is a joke because he speaks the truth? interesting

Actually, he's a joke because of the way he looks. I didn't have any problem with what he said

Not sure what everyone is so pissed about. Clayton is one of the only guys I will read/listen to, and take seriously. I love how Salsbury can't keep up with Clayton in debates, so he just rips on him for not having played football.

Top 10 free-agent gambles: Jets take plenty of fliers

By John Clayton / ESPN.com

Updated: March 12, 2008

The Jets committed major bucks to Calvin Pace (left), who has never had more than 6 1/2 sacks in a season. The Raiders hope WR Javon Walker (center) will help revamp their offense while the 49ers want to turn Justin Smith into a 3-4 defensive end.

Free agency is always a gamble, but the class of 2008 might make bookmakers in Las Vegas nervous.Of the first 78 players to move to different teams, 48 played less than 50 percent of the downs last season for their previous squads. Over the past three decades, the NFL has developed into a league of role players and situational substitutions. So those figures aren't unusual.Still, it's a gamble to spend millions of dollars for players who aren't on the field half the time. Some teams are taking a chance that backups can convert to starters. Others are gambling that players can switch positions and live up to their massive contracts.

The stakes are high, but teams have to take gambles to improve. Here are 10 of the biggest and most interesting gambles less than two weeks into the hottest free-agency period in NFL history.

1. Transforming DEs into LBs: With roughly a third of the league using some form of the 3-4 defense, three teams gambled on defensive ends they hope to convert into pass-rushing linebackers.The New York Jets put their money on Calvin Pace, who was drafted as a 4-3 defensive end but took on some linebacker duties in Arizona because of injuries to Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor. Pace received a staggering six-year, $42 million deal even though he's never had more than 6

I don't know if these are in order of decreasing risks, but if they are, i don't understand how stroud to the bills is any less of a risk than jenkins to us. Jenkins has played in every game the last two seasons, whereas stroud has missed 12 in the last two. Just thought that was interesting. I would also put javon walker high up there; he is an allpro caliber reciever when completely healthy, but in the last three seasons he's played in 1, 16 and 8 games, respectively. He is also beleived to have to undergoe microfracture surgery eventually.

Archived