We have more than a 1st rounder this year???

BroadwayJoe12

I figured i would start a thread and maybe it will stick about players who we will not be addressing in the 1st round. This may come as a surprise to some, but yes, we do have other draft picks besides our first rounder. Lofton and cason are probably my two favorite players for our top 2nd round pick and then i tossed in a few other WRs who impressed me, which could be had from round 3 and lower.

Curtis Lofton -

- I'm not sure if i prefer lofton to cason with our second pick, but both fill a need. Lofton could be the better value though; it'll be interesting to see who we'd go with if lofton, cason and hardy were there. I wouldn't be surprised to see lofton go to miami and take the place of zach thomas, he's perfect for the 34.

Lacks your ideal height and elite athleticism, but that would be masked by playing in the 34. He has good instincts and a great tackler. He could drop a few pounds and play the MIKE in a 43, but i think his best position will be ILB in a 34. He's good at shedding blockers and would line up very well next to harris.

Antoine Cason - After he ran a 4.45 40 and a very good shuttle time he climbed up some draft boards. He was always considered a great athlete with fantastic ball skills and instincts, but people said he would time slow. Well, after he timed well he could very easily climb to the top of the 2nd round. I really like this guy, he has all the tools you look for in a CB and would make an excellent #2 to man the right side of the field for us.

Jerome Simpson - This guy is well ranked above the next two WR. 6'2 200. Ran a 4.42 40, 4.52 shuttle and had a 37 inch vert. He also has extremely long arms and large hands. He has good production and can make the tough catch. He isn't extremely polished as a WR as he needs some work on running routes and upper body strength, but he has great hands, body control and could be a good red zone threat with his leaping ability. I would say at highest a 3rd rounder, but could fall to the 4th. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6877158144487834192&q=jerome+simpson&total=34&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-567671640519211562&q=jerome+simpson&total=34&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Arman Shields -

- 6'1 195. This guy is sensational, he absolutely tore up the combine running a 4.37 40, 3.96 20 yard shuttle, 6.67 3-cone and a 38 inc vert. He has all the tools, but could very well just be a workout warrior..from university of richmond. Most likely not someone we will target, but just looking for some mid level to lower level recieving prospects.

Paul Hubbard -

- The guy out of wisconsin who I was very high on earlier this year, ended up battling injury and not making the impact he would have if he was healthy. 6-2 220, good speed and is a tremendous athlete..was a track star at wisconsin. I hate to say this considering the track record we had, but he reminds me of Jmac out of college; good hands, good size and relatively fast. I know mccareins was aweful on our team, but he was a pretty highly touted prospect and if you can get past the fact he was god aweful with us than hubbard looks like a very good developmental later round pick. He has all the potential in the world but will need some time to grow..basically your classic boom or bust pick.

It would be good to see if anyone good find some other videos or their own scouting reports on players that they like OUTSIDE of the first round.

I want a DE in the fourth round if they havent drafted one higher, so here:

Kendall Langford, Hampton College, DE (6'6" 294lb)

Langford is a unanimous Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Preseason All-American and the only player from the three-time defending Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) champion Pirates to be awarded unanimous preseason honors. Last year as a junior he lead all Hampton defensive linemen in tackles with 55 and was ranked second in the league with 15.5 tackles for loss and third in quarterback sacks with eight. This season (2007) Kendall Langford will become the first Hampton defensive lineman to be named first team all-conference three years in a row since Isaac Readon did it from 1983 to 1985.

Langford will be a hotly sought after prospect in the 2008 NFL Draft because his size, athletic ability and versatility. He could bulk up a little and play defensive tackle, similar to how the Rams are using 2007 first round NFL Draft pick Adam Carricker, who has almost identical size. He could of course be played at his natural defensive end position, but I wouldn’t completely rule out the possibility of him trimming down and playing outside linebacker for a team utilizing the 34 defense. The Cowboys’ Greg Ellis made a similar transaction.

No matter how or where he is played, he has immense NFL potential. Langford is very aggressive; he will never be labeled as a pile inspector. He plays football with a very high motor and when you see him move you would never believe he is only a biscuit away from 300 pounds. He has quick feet like a linebacker, plays with his head up and quickly finds the ball and diagnosis the play. Langford will have to fight the small school pedigree and he will have to learn a wider assortment of pass rushing moves. His body is already NFL ready, but he won’t be able to bull rush or run around the tackles in the NFL, he will have to learn how to use his hands better. As we get closer to the Scouting Combine and the NFL Draft, Kendall Langford will be a name whispered by all the NFL Scouts.

I want a DE in the fourth round if they havent drafted one higher, so here:

Kendall Langford, Hampton College, DE (6'6" 294lb)

Langford is a unanimous Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Preseason All-American and the only player from the three-time defending Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) champion Pirates to be awarded unanimous preseason honors. Last year as a junior he lead all Hampton defensive linemen in tackles with 55 and was ranked second in the league with 15.5 tackles for loss and third in quarterback sacks with eight. This season (2007) Kendall Langford will become the first Hampton defensive lineman to be named first team all-conference three years in a row since Isaac Readon did it from 1983 to 1985.

Langford will be a hotly sought after prospect in the 2008 NFL Draft because his size, athletic ability and versatility. He could bulk up a little and play defensive tackle, similar to how the Rams are using 2007 first round NFL Draft pick Adam Carricker, who has almost identical size. He could of course be played at his natural defensive end position, but I wouldn

Good one, langford is one of the better 34 DE prospects in the draft. I would put him lower than Balmer, Moore and Bryant, but i still think he could be a good prospect to groom behind ellis. Didn't get to see enough of him this year, but i was impressed during the east west shrine game.

In my view the Jets most in need of upgrading are: WR (Smith is not a third receiver), DE (Ellis is not a good fit as a 3-4 DE, anyway they should start thinking about his successor), CB (I still hold out some hope for Miller, but not much), LB (If they dont draft Gholston or someone else then I guess they could have Barton and Bowens split time while Pace toggles b/w ILB and OLB) and G (Moore to me is ok at best and I have no idea if Bender or Turner will ever be starting calibre Guards).

If they draft OLB Gholston and WR James or Manningham then DE moves to the top of my priority list for the Jets. I dont know if Langford will be there in the fourth round but I like that he is big, athletic (sub-5 40 time), successful at his level (Hampton College) and a motor guy.

I like Cason, too, for the Jets (they have interviewed both him and Hardy), but I dont see him getting out of the first round.

Great post!

I would be extremely excited to get either Lofton and/or Cason in the second round but still think the JETS need to solidify both offensive and defensive lines in the later rounds. Here is my wish list in no particular order.

DeMario Pressley has the size, quickness and strength off the ball to play a 3-4 defense end. Mangini also liked versatile defensive lineman and DeMario has enough athleticism to drop into coverage on third downs. He has played with some great talent on the NC State defensive line. Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and Tank Tyler. He had a so-so senior year and has some questions due to injuries but could provide a solid depth at DE if he lasts until the top of the fourth round.

Kenny Iwebema is another solid player who could add depth to our defensive line rotation. He

Archived