Jets news thread for Monday 4/28

SoFlaJets

GANG GREEN TAKES FLIER ON VOLS QB AINGE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

April 28, 2008 -- For some of the first two rounds of the NFL Draft on Saturday, and the early part of yesterday's final five rounds, there was an anticipation that the JetsNew York Jets would draft a quarterback.

Even when Matt Ryan was picked by Atlanta with the No. 3 pick, there was a thought that the Jets would pick one of the second-tier quarterbacks.

Finally, in the fifth round with the 162nd overall pick, the Jets picked a quarterback - Tennessee's Erik Ainge, the nephew of Danny Ainge, the former NBA star and current Celtics director of basketball operations.

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, a rabid Celtics fan from Massachusetts, joked that he picked him so he can get good seats to the Celtics games.

"Oh, he plays quarterback, too?" Tannenbaum joked.

In an interesting twist, Ainge knows both Chad PenningtonChad Pennington and Kellen Clemens. He knows Pennington from being in Knoxville, Tenn., and he knows fellow Oregon native Clemens.

Ainge has taken part in some of Pennington's camps in Tennessee. He also said Clemens was the reason he didn't stay in his home state to play college football.

"I was going to go to Oregon originally, but [Clemens] was going into his junior year and I didn't want to wait two years to play," Ainge said. "I couldn't be happier than to come play with those guys. There are two good quarterbacks . . . and they're competing for a starting job. I've got a lot to learn from both of them."

The Jets also used the second day of the draft to address their need at cornerback, drafting San Jose State's Dwight Lowery in the fourth round. The Jets traded down with the Packers to get Lowery, who had 13 INTs in his last two seasons. They also got the Packers' fifth-round pick in the deal and used it for Ainge.

They used their sixth-round pick on Kansas receiver Marcus Henry, a tall target at 6-31/2 who had a productive senior season with 54 catches, an 18.8-yard average and 10 TDs. Arkansas tackle Nate Garner, a starter for one year in college, where he helped block for Darren McFadden, was their seventh-round pick.

IN A TIGHT SPOT

JETS' BAKER UNHAPPY WITH TREATMENT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Click to enlarge

April 28, 2008 -- When the JetsNew York Jets made their aggressive trade-up move into the first round Saturday to draft tight end Dustin Keller, it left many people around the league scratching their heads in bewilderment.

Count Jets starting tight end Chris BakerChris Baker as one of them.

Baker, who recently left the Jets' offseason conditioning program in protest over the team's apparent unwillingness to renegotiate his below-market contract, told The Post in an exclusive interview yesterday that he wants to remain a Jet for the rest of his career, but finds it hard to believe the team wants him here based on the way he's being treated.

Unless the Jets re-do Baker's contract, he'll find himself as the third-highest paid tight end on the team despite the fact he's the starter and coming off the best season of his career with 41 catches.

The Jets signed veteran free agent Bubba Franks to a one-year, $1.65 million deal this offseason and, as the 30th draft pick in the first round, Keller will be signed to a contract that'll pay him even more than that.

Baker is due to make $683,000 this season.

What galls Baker most is the fact that, dating back two years, promises have been made to him by the Jets about reworking his contract. According to Baker's agent, Jonathan Feinsod, "Jets management has acknowledged that Chris has outperformed his contract."

"I'm angry about the fact that they said, 'We're going to do something for you,' and nothing's being done," Baker told The Post. "It doesn't make any sense. I've been here six years and I've always done what they've asked me to do."

Baker said he never wanted to leave the offseason conditioning program, but felt he had no choice.

"What else can I do?" he said. "I don't think I'm being unreasonable. I needed to let it be known that I'm not happy and nothing is being addressed with my contract."

Baker, in the third year of a four-year, $6.6 million contract, has quietly watched this offseason as the Jets have not only spent more than $140 million in free-agent contracts, but also taken care of a couple of his fellow veterans who were still under contract.

When receiver Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles boycotted the beginning of the offseason program because he was unhappy with his contract status, the Jets appeased him by guaranteeing the final two years of his contract worth $11 million.

Then they re-signed safety Kerry Rhodes, who had a year remaining on his contract, to a new deal with $20 million in guarantees.

"I was happy for both of those guys because they're both deserving," Baker said.

One NFL source said the drafting of Keller was a clear "cat-and-mouse" move to avoid the Baker situation becoming similar to the messy Pete Kendall ordeal of a year ago.

"This is their insurance policy to make sure what happened with Pete doesn't happen again," the source told The Post. "They figured if they can get a high-round [draft pick] then they won't be stuck [like they were last year without a starting guard to replace Kendall]."

Feinsod, a week ago yesterday, formally asked the Jets to trade Baker, a request that was declined.

Giants and Jets Make Quality Plays in Draft

Football

By MICHAEL DAVID SMITH

April 28, 2008

All eight of last year's draft picks made the roster and helped the Giants win the Super Bowl, earning general manager Jerry Reese a reputation as one of the best talent evaluators in football. Last weekend's draft did nothing to change that.

The Jets, meanwhile, bolstered their defense with a first-round pick who might be the most talented player in this draft, and then traded up for another first-round pick who will play a big role in their offense.

For all the big-name players selected in the first round on Saturday, the cheers were rarely louder at Radio City Music Hall than they were yesterday when the Giants' third-round pick was announced as Michigan wide receiver Mario Manningham. The second day of the draft is usually quiet and sparsely attended, but the Giants fans on hand voiced their approval for Manningham, one of the draft's most interesting prospects.

Manningham, who caught 74 passes for 1,174 yards and 12 touchdowns last season, was one of the best wide receivers in college football. Many NFL teams, however, were concerned because he tested positive for marijuana in college, lied about his positive drug test to NFL coaches during predraft interviews, and had a low score on the Wonderlic intelligence test.

But Manningham, who sent letters to all 32 teams apologizing that he "wasn't straightforward" when asked about past drug use, has unquestionable talent on the field: In terms of pure pass-catching ability, Manningham may be the best receiver in this year's draft. For Reese to add him with the final pick in the third round is a steal.

Reese also made good selections in the first and second rounds. Miami safety Kenny Phillips, the Giants' top pick, is big and fast, capable of playing anywhere in the secondary, and sure to be an immediate contributor on special teams. USC cornerback Terrell Thomas, the Giants' second pick, is skilled at playing the press coverage the Giants need from their defensive backs.

In the sixth round, the Giants added Kentucky quarterback Andre' Woodson, a big, strong-armed passer who was once considered a first-round prospect but who struggled with accuracy as a senior. Woodson won't see the field anytime soon, but as a project, he was a smart use of a late pick.

The one big move the Giants didn't make this weekend was to trade Jeremy Shockey, who has suggested that he would like to play elsewhere. Although the Giants' offense would be fine without Shockey

Jet future on the lines

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 9:55 PM

As Jets chart plans for coming season, same players will occupy skill positions.

The NFL isn't Watergate, but a famous line from "All the President's Men" usually says a lot about how a team feels about its roster: Follow the money.

Consider the Jets. Their five most expensive acquisitions - counting top draft pick Vernon Gholston, whose rookie contract will include about $20 million in guarantees - play in the trenches. Two linebackers, two offensive linemen and a condo-sized nose tackle.

Thanks to the massive renovation, the Jets should be able to block and tackle better than last season, but the question remains: Who will do the scoring? And, of course: Who will do the throwing, Chad Pennington or Kellen Clemens?

The Jets, who finished 25th in scoring last season with only 17 points per game, went into the draft over the weekend prepared to pick the most dynamic playmaker, running back Darren McFadden. Though they would have taken him over Gholston with the No.6 choice, the Jets made no effort to trade up for McFadden, who was selected fourth by the Raiders.

Unless fellow first-rounder Dustin Keller is an overnight Shannon Sharpe, a pass-catching weapon at tight end, the Jets will be relying on the same cast of skill-position players as last year. The Jets are building inside-out, counting on the beefed-up line to create better opportunities for Thomas Jones, Laveranues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, et al.

"If your offensive line plays better, I think it lets everyone else function better," GM Mike Tannenbaum said yesterday at the conclusion of the draft at Radio City Music Hall, alluding to the free-agent signings of Alan Faneca and Damien Woody.

Eric Mangini, entering the critical third year of a four-year contract, is placing his future in the hands of whichever quarterback he chooses as the starter. The Jets bypassed two highly regarded quarterbacks Saturday, Chad Henne and Brian Brohm - non-moves that served as a tacit endorsement of Clemens, a second-round pick two years ago.

There were unconfirmed rumors about a plot to trade up for Joe Flacco, picked in the first round by the Ravens, but nothing materialized. The Jets selected Tennessee quarterback Erik Ainge yesterday in the fifth round, but he's strictly a developmental prospect.

"Anytime you can improve your running game, decrease the amount of sacks and pressures on the quarterback and add other weapons ... all those things help the quarterback," Mangini said.

Except they really didn't add any game-changing weapons. Keller has "great vertical speed," Mangini said, but history shows that it's difficult for tight ends and receivers to make an immediate impact.

McFadden would've been perfect for the Jets, and they definitely would've picked him at No.6. But the only player they tried to trade up for was defensive end Chris Long, who was drafted second by the Rams.

To overtake the Patriots in the AFC East, the Jets will have to be a ball-control, defensive-oriented team. With Gholston and $42 million linebacker Calvin Pace rushing from the edges, and with massive nose tackle Kris Jenkins anchoring the line, they have a chance to be that kind of defense.

"I think we did a lot of positive things," Mangini said of the offseason.

By the time Gholston and Keller sign, the final bill for owner Woody Johnson will be somewhere close to $200 million in total contracts for the two first-round picks and veteran acquisitions. Johnson has said there's no pressure on Mangini, that he'll be back in 2009 no matter what.

Mangini will score more points with his boss if his offense can do the same.

Jets try, but fail to get Chris Long

Jets' decision to balk at Rams' demands lands Chris Long in St. Louis.

The Giants established a blueprint in the Super Bowl for beating the Patriots: Knock Tom Brady around, put him on the ground.

Now the Jets, with the additions of Calvin Pace in free agency, Kris Jenkins in a trade and Ohio State's Vernon Gholston in the first round, have improved their chances of getting to Brady in the fall after their pass rush produced only 29 sacks in 2007.

But Gholston was not the Jets' first choice to get after Brady. They wanted Virginia DE Chris Long and tried on Saturday to trade up from their No.6 spot in the first round to St. Louis' No.2 spot to get him.

When they couldn't satisfy the Rams' demands for the pick, sources said they were going to deviate from the pass rush plan and take Arkansas running back Darren McFadden over Gholston. But the Raiders blew that up and took McFadden at No.4. The Jets never attempted to trade up for McFadden with the Falcons or Raiders after Long was taken by the Rams.

The Daily News learned Sunday that the top three players on the Jets' board going into the draft were, in order: Long, McFadden and Gholston. The board eliminated Michigan tackle Jake Long, who had already signed with Miami.

Before the Rams took Chris Long at No.2, the Jets called St.Louis. Mike Tannenbaum and Eric Mangini wanted Long, an energetic pass rusher who had 14 sacks last year playing for ex-Jets coach Al Groh. But the Rams' price was so exorbitant, the Jets basically said "see you later." It was a one-and-done phone call. No more talk.

The Ravens also called the Rams, but their target was Boston College QB Matt Ryan. They also did not offer enough. The Rams made the decision to take Long over LSU DT Glenn Dorsey on Friday. Considering it was the second pick in the draft, the Jets probably would have had to give up at least their first-round pick next year to jump four spots.

Once Long was gone to St. Louis, the Jets wanted McFadden, who would have added explosion to their offense. The Falcons took Ryan at No.3, but then the Raiders took McFadden. Despite pre-draft speculation that the Raiders, already with four running backs, would go for defensive line help, they picked McFadden over Dorsey and Gholston.

"I knew months ago that this is a guy we had to have and we have to figure out a way to get him," Raiders coach Lane Kiffin said.

That left the Chiefs at No.5. After trading 2007 sack champion Jared Allen to the Vikings, it was possible they would take Gholston over Dorsey, who plays inside. Herm Edwards did the Jets a favor taking Dorsey, who would not have been a good fit at nose tackle in Mangini's 3-4 defense.

If Dorsey was on the board at No.6, the Jets could have traded down to No.10 with the Saints and added at least an extra third-round pick. New Orleans craved Dorsey and couldn't work a deal with the Rams or Chiefs. At No.10, the Jets could have taken Troy CB Leodis McKelvin, who went at No.11 to Buffalo.

Corner-ing the market

The most appropriate name in the draft? Bills' fourth-rounder Reggie Corner from Akron. Do you even have to ask what position he plays? ... Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys since 1989, and despite his strong allegiance to Arkansas, when Dallas took RB Felix Jones in the first round, it was the first Razorback that Jones has drafted. Of course, skipping RB Rashard Mendenhall, who went on the next pick to the Steelers, may not have been the wisest move.

Jets Dratf Ainge into fight between Chad, Clemens

BY ERIK BOLAND | April 28, 2008

The Jets did indeed get an angular, tall quarterback who came out of college with gaudy numbers.

It just wasn't Matt Ryan, who was drafted by the Falcons with the third overall pick Saturday, three slots ahead of the Jets.

Instead, it was Erik Ainge from the University of Tennessee, picked by the Jets in the fifth round of a busy second day in which they added four players.

The Jets started yesterday morning with picks in the fourth, sixth and seventh rounds and moved down from the 102nd overall pick in a trade with Green Bay. They took the Packers' spot in the fourth round - the 113th pick - and added Green Bay's pick in the fifth round with an eye on Ainge.

With their new fourth-rounder, the Jets picked San Jose State cornerback Dwight Lowery. After the Ainge selection, the Jets added Kansas receiver Marcus Henry in the sixth round and closed their draft day in the seventh by taking massive Arkansas tackle Nate Garner.

But the 6-5, 223-pound Ainge, the nephew of Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge, clearly was the biggest name of the day. It certainly is not the level of intrigue the Jets would have had if they had ended up with Ryan, but Ainge does add some flavor to the upcoming quarterback battle between Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington to determine the starter.

"We're really excited to see what he can do," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said of Ainge. "He's a tremendous worker, he has good size, can make all the throws. We thought the value in the fifth round was excellent."

Ainge finished his four-year career at Tennessee ranked third in program history in completions (516), pass attempts (854) and touchdown passes (51). Ainge, who ranks fourth in school history with 6,308 passing yards, saved his best for his senior season, when he completed 62.6 percent of his passes in throwing for 3,522 yards with 31 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Questions abound from scouts, however, primarily about his arm strength, ability to handle pressure situations and overall mental and physical toughness. Ainge bristled at the last one.

"I am not disrespecting anybody, but I would be the complete opposite if I could tell you that," Ainge said. "I broke my finger on my throwing hand three days before we played our first game and played the first seven games with the pinkie and ring finger taped together. If you have ever done that, it's pretty tough throwing the ball."

Ainge said he knows both Jets quarterbacks on a personal level. Pennington is from Knoxville - where the University of Tennessee is located - and puts on an annual camp there that Ainge has worked. Ainge and Clemens are Oregon natives, and Ainge said he would have gone to Oregon if Clemens, entering his junior season, had not been entrenched as the Ducks' starter.

"There's a lot to learn from both of them," Ainge said. "I'm going to be writing everything down and learning from them. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be competing, but at the same time, I'm just going to take it all in."

Notes & quotes: The Jets planned to cut one player last night, Tannenbaum said, freeing them to sign nine rookie free agents to get to the mandated 80 players on the roster, a process started immediately after the draft. Tannenbaum took a moment to send out the Jets' recruiting pitch to some of those players who went undrafted. "Anybody listening to this live, we're the land of opportunity," Tannenbaum said with a smile. "We've had a lot of undrafted free agents make it here, be it Wallace Wright, Stacy Tutt, Rob Turner, Mike DeVito. There's great opportunity here." The NCAA's career rushing leader apparently was listening. Last night the Jets signed Danny Woodhead of Division II Chadron State to a contract. Woodhead rushed for 7,962 yards in four seasons for the Nebraska college.

JETS: Meet the new guys

Dwight Lowery

Cornerback - San Jose State

5-11 1/2, 200

Just about every scout believes Lowery had a better junior season (nine interceptions) than senior season (four INTs), though the Jets believe that had more to do with a hand injury that occurred before 2007 than a step backward ... Known as a good athlete but not particularly good on run support ... His tackling skills have been questioned and, depending on the scout, he's either good or average in coverage.

Erik Ainge

Quarterback - Tennessee

6-5 1/2, 223

At first glance, the numbers suggest a much higher draft position ... Ainge started in the SEC as a freshman and finished his career ranked third in school history in pass completions (516), pass attempts (854) and touchdown passes (51) ... He ranks fourth in school history in passing yards (6,308 yards) ... Played through injuries in each of his four seasons, including much of last season with a broken pinkie ... Ended 2007 with 31 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions ... He does not have a particularly strong arm, and his mental toughness has been questioned.

Marcus Henry

Wide receiver - Kansas

6-3 1/2, 207

Became an NFL prospect primarily because of his big senior season, when he became the go-to guy in the Jayhawks' spread offense ... Had 54 catches for 1,014 yards and 10 touchdowns ... Known for great hands and ability to adjust his body to poorly thrown passes, but also for not having great speed ... The Jets need help at wide receiver, and Henry's overall size made him a difficult player for them to pass on.

Nate Garner

Offensive tackle - Arkansas

6-6, 334

Part of an offensive line that helped both Darren McFadden and Felix Jones surpass 1,000 yards on the ground this past season ... This was Garner's first and only season as a starter at Arkansas; he saw time as a reserve his previous three seasons ... Has been described by some scouts as "heavy-footed" and "plodding," but the Jets need quality backups on the offensive line and Garner, as a seventh-rounder, comes with very low risk.

How Jets fared in the draft Monday, April 28, 2008

How the Jets did

Objective: The Jets still need to add someone on offense, either a running back or wide receiver, who will scare opponents and make them change their defensive game plans.

A game breaker is desperately needed.

Result: Purdue tight end Dustin Keller, taken with the 30th overall pick, is a converted wide receiver and somewhat of a vertical threat, but the Jets still lack a speedster.

Objective: The Jets must plug some holes that weren't addressed in the draft through free agency, such as cornerback.

They also need help at spots such as defensive end and linebacker where age will become an issue quite soon.

Result: Sixth overall pick Vernon Gholston is a needed pass rusher and fourth-round pick Dwight Lowery could be a cornerback of the future, but depth still is an issue.

Objective: Draft another quarterback two years after taking Kellen Clemens. Apparently, the organization isn't sure that Clemens is the long-term answer at the position.

Result: The Jets selected Tennessee's Erik Ainge in the fifth round. While not gifted with a huge arm, he has the skill and savvy to be a starter down the road.

Bios of Jet draft picks Monday, April 28, 2008

Player, Pos., Col., Hgt., Wgt.

Vernon Gholston, DE-LB, Ohio St., 6-3 1/2, 264

Was a DE in college but projects to be a 3-4 pass-rushing outside linebacker ... Has been clocked at 4.56 in the 40 ... Had 22 1/2 sacks the past two seasons. ... Consistency has been questioned.

Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue, 6-2, 248

Had 142 receptions as a collegian, averaging 13.3 yards a catch. ... Was Purdue's team MVP last season ... Two-year starter who played four seasons for the Boilermakers ... Increased stock with an outstanding performance at the NFL combine. ... Needs to improve blocking skills.

Dwight Lowery, CB, San Jose State, 5-11 1/2, 200

Had 13 interceptions over the past two seasons, including nine as a junior, tied for the lead in the nation ... Has the ability to make plays ... His speed is questionable but Jets like his savvy ... Can play safety but probably projects as a corner for the Jets ... Had 14 punt returns for a 14.4-yard average and one touchdown as a senior.

Erik Ainge, QB, Tennessee, 6-5 1/2, 221

Threw for 72 touchdowns with 35 interceptions at Tennessee ... Nephew of Boston Celtics GM Danny Ainge ... Played with broken finger on his passing hand for part of last season, yet had 31 TD passes with 10 interceptions ... Arm strength and mobility in pocket have been questioned. ... Tough, can read defenses well and is considered a leader on the field ... Tutored for the last two years under David Cutcliffe, who also has worked with Peyton and Eli Manning.

Marcus Henry, WR, Kansas, 6-3 1/2, 207

Averaged 18.8 yards on 54 receptions as a senior at Kansas ... Speed is average so he isn't considered a deep threat. ... Uses height and frame to outjump and outmuscle defenders ... Had five 100-yard receiving games as a senior ... Two-year starter ... Had 13 touchdown catches in 2007 ... Needs to improve his blocking skills.

Nate Garner, OT, Arkansas, 6-6, 334

Didn't start for the Razorbacks until he was a redshirt senior ... Started all 13 games at right tackle in 2007 ... Was second-team All-SEC in 2007 ... Is excellent at finishing off blocks ... Quickness and flexibility are concerns for him ... Seems to be a project, but certainly has good size.

Jets Sign RB Jehuu Caulcrick

Monday, April 28th 2008, 1:14 am by Gary Grund

The New York Jets have reportedly signed another undrafted free agent. Michigan State runningback Jehuu Caulcrick agreed to a deal with the Jets shortly after the completion of the draft.

The Jets were one of five teams interested in signing Caulcrick, with the others being the Colts, Panthers, Bills and Rams. At six-foot, 254 pounds, his role with the team still remains to be seen, whether it be runningback, fullback or H-back.

Ainge, team take issue with QBs many critics

Monday, April 28, 2008

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Tennessee quarterback Erik Ainge was the ninth quarterback selected and lasted until late in the fifth round -- 162nd overall. The NFL scouts didn't like what they saw and put their reputations where their mouths were.

Despite Ainge's prototypical size -- he's 6-5 and 225 pounds -- and the prolific numbers he posted in college, the scouting reports on him were less than favorable.

Ainge's mental and physical toughness were questioned. He was labeled as inconsistent and injury-prone. His delivery was said to be too slow and his passes too wobbly, his movement in and around the pocket poor. They said he gets rattled under pressure.

The Jets disagreed.

"What we like about Erik is he's a four-year player and he had tremendous production under (former Tennessee offensive coordinator) David Cutcliffe who also coached Peyton Manning and Eli Manning," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said yesterday. "I'm not saying he's necessarily going to be that good but he has very good pedigree from a coach development standpoint.

"We think for the coaching he's going to get here we're really excited to see what he can do. We thought the value in the fifth round was good."

In fact, the Jets traded down with the Packers in the fourth round with the specific intention of trying to get Ainge with the added pick in the fifth round.

At Tennessee, Ainge, who is good friends with Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens, threw for 8,700 yards -- the most in Volunteers history behind Peyton Manning and Casey Clausen -- with 72 touchdowns and 31 interceptions.

Last season he played through shoulder problems and a broken pinkie on his throwing hand. He was named the offensive MVP for the South in the Senior Bowl.

"I'm not disrespecting anybody, but I feel the complete opposite," Ainge said of his critics. "We won 10 football games (last season) in the SEC in probably one of the hardest years the SEC has had in a while.

"I'm not tooting my own horn but at the same time I think I'm very qualified to come in there. ... I think the more film you watch, the more negative things you find. ... I think there are a lot of good things I do."

Kansas head coach Mark Mangino is usually stingy with his praise, but he gushed about WR Marcus Herny, the Jets' sixth-round pick. Henry had 54 catches for 1,014 yards (18.8-yard average) and a school-record 10 TDs last season.

"Getting Marcus with the 171st pick is a steal for the New York Jets," he said. "They'll like everything about him from his ability, work ethic and the way he conducts himself on and off the field. If Marcus had redshirted, he would've been one of the premier wide receivers in college football this year."

Jets director of college scouting Joey Clinkscales thinks the team have a real gem in Purdue TE Dustin Keller, who has been compared to the Colts' Dallas Clark.

"He's a very athletic guy," said Clinkscales yesterday. "If you see him on tape, he kind of pops off the screen with some of the things he can do. ... Dustin will be a guy who'll give us a unique matchup problem (for opponents)."

Keller was the first tight end drafted and his 4.57 speed in the 40 was best among tight ends.

Chadron State RB Danny Woodhead, the NCAA's career-leading rusher, was signed as a free agent. The 5-7 Woodhead rushed for 7,962 yards in four seasons at the Division 2 school in Nebraska. The Jets also added Virginia safety Nate Lyles and Michigan State running back Jehuu Caulcrick, both free agents.

'His' players all in place for Mangini

Monday, April 28, 2008

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets coach Eric Mangini has his guys now, the players he feels can make his 3-4 defense work.

The onus will now be on him if opponents race through his defense like it's a superhighway.

In this weekend's NFL Draft, the Jets put some bite in their pass rush by selecting Ohio State defensive end/linebacker Vernon Gholston (22 1/2 sacks in the past two seasons) with the sixth pick overall. And yesterday they added San Jose State cornerback Dwight Lowery (26 interceptions in college) in the fourth round.

Gholston wasn't the sexy pick. That would've been running back Darren McFadden or quarterback Matt Ryan, both of whom were gone by the time the Jets had their turn.

But Gholston fits the blueprint the Jets have used this offseason after ranking 25th in the NFL last season with only 29 sacks. In free agency, the Jets added do-everything linebacker Calvin Pace and massive 350-pound plus nose tackle Kris Jenkins, a must for any 3-4 defense.

"We feel good about what we've done in the front seven," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said after the draft's final rounds yesterday. "I think we're headed in the right direction."

In short, by jettisoning linebacker Jonathan Vilma and defensive lineman Dewayne Robertson, the Jets have endorsed Mangini's system.

"I like the free agents we signed ... and the guys we were able to pick up in the draft," said Mangini. "We have some depth and some competition. It's been a positive offseason. ... It's always exciting to bring new guys in. It's always good to see how it all comes together."

In yesterday's fourth round, the Jets traded down with the Packers to select Lowery (113th overall) and add a fifth-round pick: Tennessee QB Erik Ainge (162nd overall).

They got a big wide receiver in the sixth round in Kansas' 6-3, 207-pound Marcus Henry (171st) and took Arkansas right tackle Nate Garner (211th) in the seventh.

The big splash the Jets made on offense was at tight end of all places, taking trading up to get Dustin Keller (30th overall) in the first round. Oddly enough, the Jets underutilized veteran tight end Chris Baker last season.

Nonetheless, the Jets feel that Keller and improved protection for their quarterback in the person of left guard Alan Faneca and right tackle Damian Woody -- both free agents -- are enough to spark their punchless offense. The Jets ranked 25th in the NFL in scoring with 268 points.

"I think football is the ultimate team game and if your offensive line plays better I think it lets everything else function better," Tannenbaum said.

With that, the Jets have decided Chad Pennington or Kellen Clemens will lead them this season. After watching the film, they discovered Pennington wasn't the problem. And they hope Clemens, a second-rounder in 2006, isn't a bust. Free agent Brett Ratliff is also on the roster.

"We like both of those guys and, again, the best player will play," said Tannenbaum. "They'll both compete throughout the summer. With Chad and Kellen and an improved offensive line, we're looking for improvement in the offense this year."

Defense, though, has clearly been the priority this offseason. Lowery, who had 13 interceptions in junior college and 13 at San Jose State, provides competition at the shaky cornerback position for second-year pro Darrelle Revis.

David Barrett, Justin Miller, Drew Coleman and Andre Woolfork are the other cornerbacks on the roster. Look for the Jets to try to upgrade.

"We're always looking to improve the roster," said Tannenbaum. "I would anticipate making moves throughout the summer and late into August and early September."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com.

Jerry Jones has owned the Cowboys since 1989, and despite his strong allegiance to Arkansas, when Dallas took RB Felix Jones in the first round, it was the first Razorback that Jones has drafted. Of course, skipping RB Rashard Mendenhall, who went on the next pick to the Steelers, may not have been the wisest move.

Three teams i did not want to see Mendenhall go to (in order)

1. Pats

2. Cowboys

3. Steelers

I guess it could be worse. I predict by week 5 Dallas will know they made a mistake in passing on Rashard.

Archived