a few mini camp try outs

jetsrule128

Tad Miller, both four-year starters, have agreed to NFL tryouts,

Miller will work out at the New York Jets' mini-camp. If they perform well, they could sign free-agent contracts.

Miller said his stock suffered when teams didn't draft many guards, leaving a bunch of guards on the free-agent market.

"I was expecting to hopefully sign a free-agent contract," he said. "... This is a shot -- it's better than nothing."

Alan Turner to try out for Jets' roster

By Todd Hefferman, The Southern

Monday, April 28, 2008 11:23 PM CDT

Alan Turner walked on at Southern Illinois University four years ago. Now he's walking on to the New York Jets.

Two days after the NFL draft, the former Saluki wide receiver was invited to take part in the Jets' minicamp this weekend. The 6-foot, 200-pound honorable mention all-conference pick out of the Gateway leaves Thursday for a heavy weekend.

The Jets will put their free agents through two-a-days Friday and Saturday, with one more practice on Sunday.

"It's an opportunity now, and I'm going to take advantage," Turner said Monday. "It's a good situation, because they don't have too many receivers. As long as I take care of my part, everything should be OK."

Turner hopes to make one of nine roster spots left on the team. The Jets began the draft with 66 players, according to the New York Post, drafted six, and will cut one. Without NFL Europe, NFL teams must start training camp with no more than 80 players.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said free agents would get a fair shot. The Jets have played a number of undrafted free agents over the years, such as guard Brandon Moore, punter Ben Graham, wideout Wallace Wright and fullback Stacy Tutt.

"We're the land of opportunity," Tannenbaum said in an Associated Press story.

Turner led the Salukis with seven touchdown catches last season. He played in all 14 games, caught 46 passes for 672 yards, and averaged more than 14 yards per catch. Only Justin Allen had more receptions (55) and yards (685).

The Jets carried 10 wideouts Monday, but Turner would be one of the biggest on the team if he makes it. Rookie Marcus Henry, a sixth-round draft pick Sunday, is the largest at 6-4 and 207 pounds. Converted quarterback Brad Smith of Missouri is 6-2, 210. At 6-1, Marco Thomas and Wright are the next tallest receivers.

Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery, the Jets' two biggest names at wideout, are 5-11 and 6-foot, respectively.

Turner finished his business economics degree in December. This weekend, he hopes to add professional football player to his resume.

"Bart Scott was a free agent," Turner said, invoking the Baltimore Ravens linebacker from SIU. "It's been done before."

Noa gets chance to show Jets

Karl Noa will get a tryout with the New York Jets this weekend at the NFL team's minicamp.

The former Hawaii defensive end also played some outside linebacker when the Warriors were in the 3-4 formation in 2006.

The Jets normally use that scheme and the 6-4, 250-pound Kamehameha graduate will audition at outside linebacker

NOA GETS CALL FROM JETS

Former UH defensive end Karl Noa has received an invitation to the New York Jets' rookie camp this weekend.

Noa leaves tomorrow for the three-day camp.

"Oh, man, I'm looking forward to the opportunity," Noa said. I'm glad I have a chance to do something."

Noa started every UH game at right defensive end last season. He was an outside linebacker in 2006, when the Warriors were in a 3-4 defensive alignment.

Noa, who is 6 feet 4 and 250 pounds, competed at the April 1 Pro Day in Carson, Calif. He ran 40 yards in 4.79 seconds, bench pressed 225 pounds 29 times, and had a vertical jump of 36 inches and broad jump of 10 feet, 1 inch.

He said he was not alarmed when he was not summoned during the past weekend's National Football League draft.

"To be honest, I didn't think I would get drafted," Noa said. "I was hoping to get a call (after the draft). I was trying to stay positive. (Yesterday) morning I was fortunate to get a call. I'm happy and grateful to have an opportunity."

Noa said it

While some of his teammates will be flying halfway across the country this weekend for NFL rookie mini-camps, Hofstra wide receiver Charles Sullivan just has to walk across campus. The Nanuet native is one of several Pride players over the years invited to try out for the Jets.

"It's exciting because you're going to be playing at the highest level," Sullivan said. "It's what you work so hard for."

The rookies are due to arrive tomorrow, and the three-day camp starts Friday. The Jets decline to discuss the rookies being brought in until they have signed contracts upon arrival.

Sullivan grew up in Nanuet and attended St. Joseph Regional High School in Montvale, N.J., where he was more of a basketball player until his senior year. The 6-foot-2 Sullivan could easily dunk, and translated those skills onto the football field for great leaping catches and interceptions as a free safety.

"I can still visualize several receptions where he jumped up and picked the ball out of the air," St. Joseph football coach Tony Karcich said.

The 202-pound Sullivan set a number of school marks in his four years at Hofstra. He is the career reception and receiving-yardage leader with 238 catches for 2,869 yards. This season he caught 86 passes for 991 yards, setting the single-season mark for receptions. Sullivan graduated in December and was named to the Eastern College Athletic Conference Football Championship Subdivision All-Star team.

"He's just an incredible athlete and has incredible hands," said Jeff Behrman, who recruited Sullivan to Hofstra as the wide-receivers coach and is now offensive coordinator at Stony Brook.

Karcich knew Sullivan had finally devoted himself to football when he got a 2 a.m. call from his former player in his first full season at Hofstra. Usually, a call at that time of night means trouble, but Sullivan was calling for the opposite reason.

"He said, 'Coach, it's me,' " Karcich said. "Of course I knew who it was and I said, 'Who is me?' And he said, 'I just called to tell you I'm doing good and everything is good.' "

Sullivan's parents moved to Brunswick, Ga., during his freshman year, but he still spends most of his vacations with cousins his age in Spring Valley. No question that the proximity is an advantage in his case. He has practiced on the field where he will work out, unlike many of the other rookies the Jets are inviting.

"I feel like that's the easy part, just going out and playing football," Sullivan said.

He said the Jets' coaches he spoke with mentioned that they had heard about his exploits at Hofstra because it was impossible not to while sitting on the Hofstra campus. That might not be the case for the next generation of Pride players. The Jets will have headquarters on the campus until midway throughout this season, when they move to a new facility being constructed in Florham Park, N.J.

Karcich also coached Rutgers safety Ron Girault, a Spring Valley native who signed with the Kansas City Chiefs after last weekend's draft. The coach said he was always gratified to see players get a shot at the next level, especially since he never thought Sullivan would be one of them.

"Because he wasn't devoted to football," Karcich said of the high-jumping high school sophomore he knew.

That's one thing that has definitely changed.

The next Marques Colston headed to the Jets this weekend?

Just heard two Hofstra football players, Kareem Huggins and Charles Sullivan, have been invited to this weekend's Jets rookie minicamp.

The 5-8, 189-pound Huggins, who alternated running around and through tacklers, averaged 106 yards per game [a 5.3 yards per carry average] this season and rushed for nine touchdowns.

The 6-1, 201-pound Sullivan caught a team-best 86 passes, which ranked fifth in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), for 991 yards (11.5 yards per reception) and seven touchdowns. Sullivan

Archived