Passes Defensed statistic

DMaynard

Does anybody know the actual criteria for this stat? Is there acknowledged criteria, or is it a team by team judgement? Here are examples of what I believe and am not sure about.

1. The defender deflects the pass and it falls incomplete. This obviously qualifies.

2. The defender hits the receiver the same time the ball is in the receiver's hands or soon enough after that the dropped pass is ruled an incomplete pass and not a fumble. I would think this would qualify.

3. The receiver drops the pass, and although there is no significant contact, the defender had tight coverage. I am not sure about this one. I think you could make an argument either way.

4. The incompletion is solely due to a poorly thrown pass. Basically uncatchable (unless you are Lance Alworth). The defender had tight coverage nonetheless. I think this would not qualify. But I guess one could make the argument that the tight coverage may have caused the errant throw.

5. Same scenario as #4 except the defender was not even close to the receiver. I would think this would not qualify.

Found this

Two Rookies with the Right Stuff

Published: Thu, January 10, 2008 - 4:59pm EST

By Randy Lange

Lange is editor-in-chief of newyorkjets.com. He covered the Jets for 13 years for The Record of Hackensack, N.J.

File Under: Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Kerry Rhodes, passes defensed, tackles for loss

change font email article 01/10

Thanks for the info.

Based upon the literal definition, it sounds like only my first example would qualify. Personally, I think a defensive player should be given similar credit for my first two examples.

I agree, but how do you adjust for the DB's that get to cover Justin McCareins?

Does anybody know the actual criteria for this stat? Is there acknowledged criteria, or is it a team by team judgement? Here are examples of what I believe and am not sure about.

1. The defender deflects the pass and it falls incomplete. This obviously qualifies.

2. The defender hits the receiver the same time the ball is in the receiver's hands or soon enough after that the dropped pass is ruled an incomplete pass and not a fumble. I would think this would qualify.

3. The receiver drops the pass, and although there is no significant contact, the defender had tight coverage. I am not sure about this one. I think you could make an argument either way.

4. The incompletion is solely due to a poorly thrown pass. Basically uncatchable (unless you are Lance Alworth). The defender had tight coverage nonetheless. I think this would not qualify. But I guess one could make the argument that the tight coverage may have caused the errant throw.

5. Same scenario as #4 except the defender was not even close to the receiver. I would think this would not qualify.

I've always been under the assumption that the defender has to knock the ball away, (physically touch the ball) and that the quality of the pass is not a factor. DT's get this stat too. Shane Burton anyone?

Archived