Jets news 5/31/08

Kentucky Jet

Jets hire assistant GM

Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Jets hired Scott Cohen as assistant general manager, according to a person familiar with the hiring. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the club has yet to make a formal announcement.

Cohen, 39, is a veteran of 16 NFL seasons, including the past eight as Eagles director of pro personnel. He has also worked with the Jaguars and Redskins.

Also, the club has signed assistant director of pro personnel JoJo Wooden to a contract extension.

-- Dave Hutchinson

Jets hire Cohen for newly created position of assistant GM

Associated Press

Updated: May 30, 2008, 11:44 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

NEW YORK -- The New York Jets have hired Scott Cohen for their newly created position of assistant general manager, according to a person with the team.

Cohen will work with general manager Mike Tannenbaum on day-to-day operations, the person said on condition of anonymity Friday night because the team hadn't yet announced the hiring.

Cohen, 39, spent the last seven seasons as Philadelphia's director of pro personnel.

The person with the team also said Jets player personnel director Terry Bradway and college scouting director Joey Clinkscales will be getting new titles with the team and their contracts are being finalized. JoJo Wooden will continue to direct the Jets' pro personnel department.

Cohen joined the Eagles in 2001 after spending the previous two seasons with Jacksonville as assistant director of pro scouting. Before joining the Jaguars, Cohen spent seven seasons in various capacities with Washington.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Bill Eichenberger

Profile | Archive | E-mail Eichenberger

Jets' Clemens on road to winning QB job

E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 0 WATCH THIS TOPIC

Posted: May 29, 2008

NEW YORK -- If Kellen Clemens doesn't win the starting quarterback job for the New York Jets, it won't be because of a lack of preparation. So said the third-year quarterback and coach Eric Mangini after an offseason team workout this week at Hofstra.

"The things that I was working on in February and March and April are showing up out here on the field," Clemens said after an impressive performance throwing the ball with the first unit in seven-on-seven drills Wednesday. "To me, it's encouraging."

That work included both the mind and body.

"I did a lot of film work, not only on myself but on some of the other top quarterbacks in the league," Clemens said. "Kind of comparing and contrasting, trying to take bits of things that they do and just working on drills."

Clemens spent hours working on his footwork and throwing the ball into a 5-foot wide by 7-foot tall accuracy net at the Jets' training facility. "I'd take an equipment guy with me, and I'd just be throwing at targets."

The net, Clemens said, "doesn't lie. It tells you, did you hit it or did you not?"

Clemens' arm strength was evident Wednesday, his day to work with the first unit. The highlight of the day: A tight 30-yard spiral that found Laveranues Coles streaking down the sideline.

Clemens went into the offseason knowing where he needed to improve to beat out veteran Chad Pennington for the starting job but said he "needed a road map to get there."

Quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer provided that map, preparing what Mangini called a voluminous "tip sheet" for each quarterback.

It covered "all different areas that they can improve in," Mangini said. "Some of them are bigger areas, some are more subtle. ... Here's specifically what we think you can do better and a plan in place for how you can do that."

Neither Clemens nor Pennington staked a claim to the starting job last season. The Jets were 1-7 with Pennington as the starter, 3-5 with Clemens in charge for the final eight games.

Mangini said he is in no hurry to make a decision between the two this offseason, saying he won't know who has the edge until watching both in preseason game situations. The Jets open the preseason Aug. 7 in Cleveland against the Browns.

"Whether it's heavy pressure or situational awareness, you do the best you can to simulate that stuff," Mangini said. "But you just can't simulate it until it happens."

Mangini says both quarterbacks will receive an equal shot at the starting job. After the first round of offseason training activities (OTAs), Mangini said both had 68 pass attempts.

"Basically, it's been 50-50 across the board," he said.

Bill Eichenberger is a staff writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at beichenberger@sportingnews.com.

Archived