Most overrated bands

Alk

I listen to very little stuff that is on the radio, and it's sad how many people listen to completely garbage music like Fallout Boy, Maroon 5, etc. and think it's good.

To be more accurate, popular 80's music sucked like it does in most era's. But in defense of the 80's, they also gave us bands like Sonic Youth, Talking Heads, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dinosaur Jr, The Pixies, Eric B. and Rakim, Public Enemy. Not to mention Tom Waits had some of his best albums in the 80's, along with the Clash.

A little snobby, no? I understand that the thread calls for bashing, but music is subjective, not objective. I know some perfectly wonderful rational people that love say, the Maroon 5, Jonas Brothers or Phil Collins. People get to feeling a little too superior because they listen to stuff that's not on the radio. There is a reason that stuff is accessible. For instance, personally, most Sonic Youth stuff sounds a little too dissonant and nails on a chalkboard for me.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thats why i hate discussing musical tastes.. its almost like political talk with the harsh views.

Me personally Im all over the place with musical tastes. I understand what Boozer is saying about Nirvana, but I still like it. Heck, I like almost all the bands that people listed as most overrated. Does my musical taste suck? Am I too into "popular" music? Maybe. But I dont really care... I enjoy what I enjoy, i listen to what I listen to.

But I must say my musical tastes have really expanded with my emusic account. I was going through my ipod today up at the NASCAR race in NH and half my stuff on there was small or unknown bands... I couldnt find anything that people really knew! Now I just need to load up all my cd's onto itunes and I'll be all set...

I loaded up all my stuff onto iTunes last year. You will be very happy you did it. I was actually a little pissed when I did it because I realized how many classic albums some moving company f**khead stole from me in my move from California. I'm slowly replacing what I can find online or via discounted CDs. AAARRRHHHH!!

Regarding your comment on the small label artists you have on your MP3: Awesome that you are exploring new music and supporting young artists. This is what drives me crazy when a video from a known--but not very relevant--performer is removed from YouTube. Why take it off? You are exposing that band's/performer's music to a wide array of people who might now go to iTunes, etc. and buy the music. Record company executives ran that business into the ground with their myopic vision. You know artists are fed up when even an icon like Paul McCartney told EMI--after 30-40 years of doing business--to take a hike. He called these execs dinosaurs who were lost in the new marketplace. I agree.

Archived