Jets news articles & Football news 7/13/08

Kentucky Jet

Mark C writes again Jets pulling for Clemens

By Hoss Aultman

Posted Jul 12, 2008

In less than two weeks, the Jets will open training camp, and all eyes will be on the battle for the starting QB job between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens. New York Post scribe Mark Cannizzaro thinks the team is pulling for Clemens.

"Though no one will say it publicly, it's clear the Jets are hoping Clemens wins the job and justifies the team drafting him in the second round three years ago," wrote Cannizzaro.

This is the second time Cannizzaro wrote this. After the first time, Jets coach Eric Mangini said it wasn't true.

Gang Green Should Move on Favre

Posted by Bob Bullock July 12, 2008 12:31PM

Categories: News

The Brett Favre story continues to dominate the NFL as the opening of training camp is just two weeks away. The star quarterback has requested his unconditional release from the Packers so he can be free to go anywhere he pleases.

Although the Jets continue to appear on the list of potential landing places for Favre, New York Post writer Mark Cannizzaro writes we shouldn't expect it.

"The perception of many is the Jets, with veteran Chad Pennington and unproven Kellen Clemens, are one of those teams. Nevertheless, it is highly unlikely the Jets will have any interest," wrote Cannizzaro today. He also adds, "Aside from the handful of veteran free agents they added this offseason, the Jets are in more of a youth movement."

To me, that only means the team has even more of a shot at landing Favre. Add one more veteran to the mix, a future Hall of Fame quarterback who still has skills and this team becomes a contender. It not only brings credibility to this franchise, it will make this season a heck of a lot more exciting to watch.

Can you imagine the media attention that this team will receive? This time it won't be all negative either, as is usually the case when the national outlets cover Gang Green.

I call out to Mr. T, give it a shot man, let's shake up this organization a little bit. After years and years of just going through the motions, an acquisition like this could bring some much needed enthusiasm to the franchise.

A franchise that has been dead in the water for way too long.

The Latest Team Report

Yahoo! Sports has released its updated Jets' team report. It discusses the team's sixth-round draft choice Marcus Henry and breaks down each position heading into training camp. A nice read to get you prepared for camp, which opens on July 24th.

A A A A A

Namath speaks

By Hoss Aultman

Posted Jul 11, 2008

The most famous Jets of them all, Broadway Joe Namath, held his annual football camp last weekend in Connecticut, and here is some advice he gave the kids.

"If you don't have a desire, a passion to play this sport, you're not going to play," said Namath. "It's hard, it's hard, and in life there's a lot of hard things you've got to do. I had a college coach that told us this as freshmen. He said 'Guys when you're out of here, and you're gone 10, 15 years from now, you get up in the morning your wife's sick, your two children are sick, and you've got the same damn cold, you're not going to stay in bed, you're going to go to work.' I'm going to teach you how to do the hard things in life.

"Usually the hard, a lot of people shy away from, understandably to some extent. And you know, you play football - it's hard. But the key is balancing - use football to learn life. Life's experiences are not taught in school, you get yours on the road. I got mine on the road, you know. It was John (Dockery's) idea initially to use football to teach youngsters about life, how we do get knocked down, how we do make mistakes, and not to hide from them but to learn from them."

For many years Namath worked on the Jets preseason TV broadcasts as the color analyst. That job is now held by Greg Buttle.

Archived